ELK water shutoff valve

tuantu

I'd like to get assistance from anyone who can give me some guidance on the followings:

I recently purchased and installed the ELK water shutoff valve and it works great.

I currently have the unit wired up to OUTPUT3 of the M1, however, now I want to install a manual big push button in my hallway to serve as "emergency shutoff" so HOW SHOULD THIS BE HOOKED UP.

Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, I've already written rules so when I'm away or vacation the water valve would be shut off.

Hook your water panic switch to any zone input. configure the zone as Type 16 (non-alarm), so it has no impact on your security functions. Then write a rule, when ZoneX toggles, then output 3 toggles.

I've always worried about shutting the water off while I'm away without shutting off the hot water tank. I've always feared that if the tank would run dry, and continue to try to heat water, something bad could happen. I usually only shut the water (and tank) off when I'm gone for an extended time, as it is kinda of a pain relighting the tank if I'm only gone for a day or two. Am I being over paranoid about this?

Watervalve RULES using a keypad function key:

Pick a keypad function key on the M1 keypad for water shut off. Example: Function key 4.

Write two Rules to control the output when a function key is pressed:

Edited to fix error:

WHENEVER F4 KEY ON ANY KEYPAD ACTIVATES
THEN TOGGLE Output 3(Out 3) //Open or Close valve

Select an input zone. Example: Zone 15 for the status feedback from the water valve. Program it as a non-alarm zone, type 16, EOL End of line resistor, and place an EOL Resistor across the zone input. Connect the valve GREEN Wire status feedback to zone 15's positive side, "Z15" marked terminal.

Using ELKRP in the KEYPADS definition and the illumination definition for FKEY 4, select "4015=ZONE 15 STATE". This will make the light behind the F Key illuminate when the valve is closed. You may want to make the light blink when the valve is closed with the "Blink Light" option in the F Key definition.

Press the F Key to Close/Open the water valve. The light behind the key will blink when the valve is closed.

Connecting the ELK-WSV Valve to Relay Output 3 on the ELK-M1 Gold or M1EZ8 Security/Automation Controls.

RED wire - Connect to N/C (normally closed) terminal of Relay Output 3. Energizing this with 12 Vdc will Close the valve.

WHITE wire - Connect to N/O (normally open) terminal of Relay Output 3. Energizing this with 12 Vdc will Open the valve.

BLACK wire - Connect to any NEG (-) terminal of the Power Supply.

GREEN wire - This is the Valve status indicator. When the Valve is Closed this wire will produce a POS (+) 12 Vdc output
which can then be used to drive an indicator or input if needed. This wire MUST be insulated at the end to prevent accidental
contact with other components if the status is not used.

Spanky said:
THEN TURN Output 3(Out 3) ON FOR 5 SECS // output 3 connects to the water valve input motor control and will open or close with each key press.
I thought the relay had to stay in whatever state you desired (on=open, off=closed, or vice versa). When you just have Output3 on for 5 seconds, doesn't that start to change the valve, then change direction after 5 seconds?

Oops!! Thanks WayneW. The proper Rules for controlling the valve is below.

THEN TOGGLE Output 3(Out 3) //Open or Close valve

Hi, I can't get the flashing status to work using this technique.

"Select an input zone. Example: Zone 15 for the status feedback from the water valve. Program it as a non-alarm zone, type 16, EOL End of line resistor, and place an EOL Resistor across the zone input. Connect the valve GREEN Wire status feedback to zone 15's positive side, "Z15" marked terminal.

Using ELKRP in the KEYPADS definition and the illumination definition for FKEY 4, select "4015=ZONE 15 STATE". This will make the light behind the F Key illuminate when the valve is closed. You may want to make the light blink when the valve is closed with the "Blink Light" option in the F Key definition."

What does " and place an EOL Resistor across the zone input" mean, is one end of the resistor in negative, and the other end of the resistor in the positive connection of the zone, with the green wire from the valve in the positive also.
Or... is one end of the resistor in the positive and the other end connected to the green wire from wsv? In that case what do you connect negative of the zone to?

I tried changing some of the other setting for the zones such as chime etc, do any of those matter?

A picture would help :D

David

What does " and place an EOL Resistor across the zone input" mean?
Yup, you had it pretty right with your first answer. One end of the resistor to the zone negative connection. The other end of the resistor to the zone positive connection, along with the green wire from the valve.

Once you verify the zone is working correctly, then the flashing F-key should work also, but make sure the zone is working before worrying about the F-key.

I have the FKey working ok to open and close the valve, when I press F4 to open or close it shows 'F4 = Flood Valve' on the keypad display and the valves opens and closes correctly, so the toggle output rule is working OK.

When the valve is open or closed I get the same in display zone volatages V = 7.0 or 7.1 fluctuates slightly, L3.8, H8.8, A133. I also checked the voltage between end of green wire and negative with multimeter and it has about 7 volts open or closed.

For F4 in keypad settings I have Activates event 00=diabled, Illumination event 4005 = Zone 5 state (I have the green wire to zone 5 not 15 as I was already using 15. Blink light check, and single press check.

Input zone 5 has following - 16 non-alarm, 0 = EOL supervised, bypassable and enable chime are checked, nothing else is checked.

I don't know if this is relevant but I am taking power to the valve from an external transformer. and in diagnostics, 86, option 2 it says the panel is running at 13.6v and 0.8 amps

I figured it out!

I thought about positive and negative sides, and so I measured the voltage between the status wire and the negative from the valve/external powersupply. With the valve closed 12v and open 0v so it proved the valve was doing the right thing.

What was needed was a connection from the negative of the external transformer to the negative of the zone.

So the connection I got when using an external power supply is, green status from valve to zone positive, negative from transformer/valve to zone negative. Resister connecting zone postive to zone negative.

This is neatest if you use 5 wire thermostat wire from the elk to the valve. I used 4 wire plus an extra wire to run the negative.

David

I have another tip, I was doing all that before installing the valve.

After 3 hours of playing with the leaking pipe joints I now have it installed :)

For anyone else doing this with compression fittings... try and avoid stainless fittings, I had stainless 1 inch to 3/4 reducer and it was very difficult to get that joint watertight even with ptfe tape in the joint.

Back