ELK Wattage Requirements

rfdesq

I am calculating the run time for a UPS. Can someone tell me the wattage of an ELK M1 Gold both loaded and unloaded? Also, the wattage for the ELK-P412 4 amp power supply? My gut tells me that just because the M1 can supply 2.5 amps doesn't mean it draws 250 watts of power. Same reasoning for the 4 amp power supply.

I would guesstimate about 100 watts each. That figures on the transformes being about 60% effecient which is typical for a good linear transformer in my opinion.

Don't multiply 2.5 amps x 120 volts - do 2.5 amps x 14 volts = about 35 watts. IIRC the Elk transformer that came with my M1G is rated at 120v @ 40va (darn close to 40 watts).

I stand corrected.... dont know where my head was. It should be about 100 watts total for both maximum.

I appreciate the expertise here. I figured I'd sit back and let you guys fight it out. Eventually, I'll get the right answer :D . Worst case scenario I'll set up my UPS, pull the plug, and see how much backup battery time I get.

Using the watt-meter I noticed that my setup consumes ~40 watts. This includes the inefficiency of the power transformer.

elcano said:
Using the watt-meter I noticed that my setup consumes ~40 watts. This includes the inefficiency of the power transformer.
I should get a little extra time out of my system when the power dies and my 500 watt UPS kicks in. Plus I'll get some line voltage filtering that I wouldn't get by just plugging it into the wall. Thanks again.

That is exactly what I have. But in addition to the M1 core panel I use the UPS to feed the Ethernet module, the DSL modem, my VoIP box and the wireless router. I also have plans to feed the telephone base.

What I really hate is the annoying Beep whenever there is a power faliure. Who needs that beeP? Its like you will get a power faliure and you will never notice it except for the annoying beep. Yeah right. And I have not found any elegant way to prevent it. If I get a power faluer at 2:00am I have to wake up to silence the UPS. Otherwise I'll not be able to sleep until the power returms.

rfdesq said:
I should get a little extra time out of my system when the power dies and my 500 watt UPS kicks in.
There is one small disadvantage to doing this vs. just adding more battery to the alarm... you won't get any "a/c line trouble" indication until your UPS runs out. Unless you did some kind of extra external sensing of a/c power.

I thought it was a good idea all the way around. Elcano, how much time do you get with everything that you have connected? I agree about the beeper. I bought the Tripplite HT1000UPS 1000VA US with LCD I saw at EHX. Small, light, no fan, and has a neat blue LCD readout. Really shows how variable the AC line voltage is.

Back