Elk Wireless 2 way

I'm not currently, but planning to...

Here is one of their most recent webinars which showcases the 2-way smoke detector:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5qRLZsOxpI&list=PL4pbqe8npsUMiyMUIDXQc9bUl-PJvRgAd

The beginning of the video also reviews the benefits of the 2-way technology.

I have decided to buy the Elk two way starter kit when I finally pull the trigger and order my Elk system. I was on the fence about the Elk wireless due to the lack of devices available and because it is new and not well tested but a couple of things have tipped me towards it.

First of all the 2-way system can do everything that the 1-way systems can do and then some. I like to look forward when choosing a technology.

Also a statement made to me by CCT member Work2Play helped to push me towards the 2-way. H made me aware that I can hook two wired sensors to the Elk 2way wireless system via each Elk 6022 wireless sensor.

I quote:

>With any of the wireless technologies they have the ability to hook certain wireless sensors to external contact closure devices. >Since you're talking about using Elk's two-way wireless technology, you'll probably be interested in the 6022 sensor - it can act as  >a normal door/window sensor with the built in magnet, and/or it can accept two external contacts as well - so some examples of >that:
  • Using recessed door/window sensors but fishing wires to a 6022 above the door/window - keeps the transmitter hidden and maybe save money since contacts cost $2-$3 whereas transmitters are 10x that.
  • Hooking into other sensor types - such as Garage Door sensors, water detection; generator trouble contacts; current relays (activate based on amperage consumed by a particular device); etc.

I also like the claims of long battery life, good range and the potential that two way comm offers. Elk has used the 2-way technology to make all of your smoke/fire sensors make noise when any one of them is triggered which is good for my detached garage.

I'm going to give it a go and if it doesn't work out I can always sell it on Ebay and install a Honeywell Ademco adapter later.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been using it, Mike.

Back