Elk xep sending email Heads Up Newbies!

video321 said:
All of my devices use my gateway IP for DNS - which I can then control however I see fit.
With that said, I have DNS running internally which will then forward to my ISP's DNS servers for any unknown
Just out of curiosity, what dns server software do you use? I've never given any thought to running my own.

Mike.

After changing my modem/router combo, my email stopped working.  Using Google's DNS once again saved the day.  This seems to be so dependant on the router.  ASUS had no problems, Motorola and NetGear required Google's DNS.

pete_c said:
Personally I would suggest using another email provider.  That said this is my opinion only. 
The email provider is no longer my problem since I created a non SSL account with gmx.com. Now I am experimenting with dns servers to find one that is dependable. You can catch up by reading the earlier posts in this thread.

Mike.

Yup; thank-you Mike.

I have been following the thread.

I use PFSense / OpenDNS / Google.

I think the DNS issue though is related to gmx.com and its association of being a spam generator service.

Here too relating to Homeseer went to using STunnel a few years back.

You can run it on anything that is up 24/7 wintel or linux and just point to it anywhere on the network.

pete_c said:
Yup; thank-you Mike.

I have been following the thread.

I use PFSense / OpenDNS / Google.

I think the DNS issue though is related to gmx.com and its association of being a spam generator service.

Here too relating to Homeseer went to using STunnel a few years back.

You can run it on anything that is up 24/7 wintel or linux and just point to it anywhere on the network.
Pete:

I did not know that gmx had a bad rep, can you suggest an smtp server? ATT blocks port 25 which limits my choices. I tried AOL.com and Google.com and ATT.net and none worked for me and I don't want to take on building my own servers.

Mike.

Yup; today many or all of them block port 25. 

The issue was actually brought up to a court of law as the ISP's started by changing the owned modems by individuals without owners permission. 

Initially when they did it to me my Verizon ISP was still using port 25 for email which messed my stuff up.  They were using that email that said I had a spam email server configured.  I basically told them that wasn't true, mentioned the legality of them going into my personal modem and changing it and they changed it back in 10 minutes.  That said I have always owned my internet modem.

Unrelated ....about a month ago I had an issue with Verizon's email spam blocking features that were available only on my primary account and not on my secondary account's.  I filed a complaint with the state's attorney general offices in Florida relating  to the inability to turn my email spam blocking on relating to my secondary email accounts.  It was fixed within a week of said filing.  This was a real PITA to have to do.  Its easier to initially block garbage at the email servers then I filter it as it comes to my stuff here.
The original/legacy email ports, 25 and 110, have been in use since the inception of email and have limited or no security features. As a result, port 25 has been used for the transmission of spam and malware from infected computers for nearly a decade. Port 110 simply is not a secure means of retrieving email. Port 995 provides SSL encryption when downloading email.
The Federal Trade Commission, an organization that has taken legal action against many spammers, also recommends that Port 25 should be blocked by ISPs. The FTC’s recommendation is as follows:
“Block port 25 except for the outbound SMTP requirements of authenticated users of mail servers designed for client traffic. Explore implementing Authenticated SMTP on port 587 for clients who must operate outgoing mail servers.”  

The ITU also recommends blocking port 25 in their document named “ITU Botnet Mitigation Toolkit”. This can be viewed here. While this document is focused on the remediation of botted computers, blocking of port 25 is seen as an important step in mitigating the spam that is sent from botted machines.

Many ISPs, both in the USA and around the globe, block port 25. These include:
  • Verizon
  • AT&T
  • NetZero
  • Charter
  • People PC
  • Cox
  • EarthLink
  • Verio
  • Cablevision
  • All Japanese ISPs
  • France Telecom/Orange

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-port-25-no-longer-supported/

There isn't that much to running STunnel on a windows PC.  I started to do this a while ago.  Having written that though you have to keep another computer running 24/7.  I am not sure if you want to do that just to send email out with your Elk device.  I am using Homeseer Pro and ancillary email configuration to STunnel with GMail and its worked fine for a few years.

Aside from the provided free email services out there I use Personal, Verizon, Comcast and AT&T email services.  Its been a while now too that I have been using no ip dot com.  That said you can utilize their email provided services.  Its gets to be much though relating to the simplicity of sending an email out with the ELK.

Do you keep any other box or computer on 24 / 7 in your home?  Its really easy to install STunnel.  All you would do is point your elk to port 25 and the IP of the computer running STunnel and you will be good to go.

Relating to using your firewall; I have read some PFSense users doing a port change and a 1:1 NAT thing with email servers that kind of of works.

@mike do you have another computer on your home network 24/7?

Is there anyone using a different ISP that would let you use their account?
My father has FIOS which required encryption, but I have Comcast which only requires the encrypted port, but not encryption itself. I simply setup his XEP with my SMTP info for him.

I also have my M1 send a daily message to my phone each morning to verify all is well. That was how I learned they closed the door to port 25.
Running STunnel is not a big deal if needed. I used it for a couple days until learning I didn't actually need encryption.

Pete:

No I do not run a computer 7x24 but may consider it down theroad. Maybe one of those tiny desktop models.

Mike.

video321 said:
Is there anyone using a different ISP that would let you use their account?
My father has FIOS which required encryption, but I have Comcast which only requires the encrypted port, but not encryption itself. I simply setup his XEP with my SMTP info for him.

I also have my M1 send a daily message to my phone each morning to verify all is well. That was how I learned they closed the door to port 25.
Running STunnel is not a big deal if needed. I used it for a couple days until learning I didn't actually need encryption.
No I don't have access to a different ISP.

Looking on the Elk Products Email recommendation; there is something there about also using AOL dot com for email (along with using GMX).  Thing is it is from 2011.  That said there are many Elk-M1EXP users on the forum and a few ways to do this.  The above two email services were checked out by Elk to work back in 2011.  There are more free email providers out there.  Google and you will find them.  Read the reviews.  You are looking for some basic functions and only related to using the Elk-M1XEP; nothing fancy.  I do not utilize AOL email today and do not know whether they are encrypting it today. 

Personally here I am only using the included combo AP, Router, Switch & Firewall FIOS box for only the STB's (at one location) and I have bridged one ethernet port over to a DD-WRT router.  That said you can install STunnel on DD-WRT.  You can also install it on other firewalls. 

If you are into tinkering you can bridge a connection to another firewall like maybe DD-WRT then have a read here:

STunnel on Firewall

Email Recommendations for the ELK-M1XEP (February 2011)

Elk normally recommends customers use their ISP’s (Internet Service Provider) email services where possible, but in some cases it may be necessary or advantageous to us alternate email providers.  This is especially true when it has been difficult or impossible to configure the M1XEP to send email using the ISP’s servers.  A common difficulty is whenever the ISP requires SSL or TLS for sending email, and the M1XEP does not support SSL/TSL.

There are quite a number of alternate email providers like Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo that provide free regular email accounts, however they generally charge a fee for SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) email accounts.  SMTP is something that is needed by devices such as the M1XEP.

Another potential problem or issue is that some ISP’s block outgoing ports to alternate (other) email providers.  In these cases, it is often difficult, if not impossible, to use a third-party provider.

Elk Products has identified two alternate email providers that have free SMTP services and do not require SSL/TLS.  We cannot endorse either of them, nor can we guarantee the reliability of their services or that they will maintain free services in the future.  However as of February, 2011, accounts with the two providers listed below have been tested and confirmed to work with the M1XEP.  Provided your ISP is not blocking these, using one of them is as simple as signing up for a free account on their websites and configuring the M1XEP to send email through their servers.  To use any one of them, visit their website and sign up for a free account.  Remember the email address (username) and password you choose there.

AOL
http://www.aol.com GMX
http://www.gmx.com  

Setup Information
For either of these three, configure your M1XEP email as follows:

AOL
Server URL: smtp.aol.com
Port: 25 (alternate: 465)
From Address: the address you chose when signing up ([email protected]).
Username: the address you chose when signing up ([email protected]).
Password: the password you chose when signing up.

GMX
Server URL: mail.gmx.com
Port: 25 (alternates: 465, 587)
From Address: the address you chose when signing up ([email protected]).
Username: the address you chose when signing up ([email protected]).
Password: the password you chose when signing up.
ELK Email Recommendations

Pete:

I am now using gmx.com successfully. I had no success with AOL, smtp2go or gmail. I'm just not comfortable with the fact that I'm dependant on gmx. I'll look into running a pc 7x24 with my own server but don't want to spend the time right now. This is my one dissappointment with the Elk system and it's a big one. I'll deal with it and hope that they implement encryption on the xep at some point.

Mike.

Good news Mike.

I know too that Elk is listening and watching here and is aware and has been aware of these issues for quite a while now as same said issues have been posted here on CT for quite a few years now.

Back