Elk Email just quit working

apostolakisl

I have had my m1g for nearly 3 years now with the email working all along. I just realized that I hadn't gotten any of my emails that I usually get for more than a month.

Of note, on Sept 4 I got my last typical email telling me the system armed. On sept 5 at 3am I got an email telling me my ip address changed and that it updated my dyn dns server. Since then, notta.

I told it to test my dyn dns connection, and it confirmed that they had my correct address.
I told it to test my time server, and it said it worked and that the clock was updated.

Based on the above two items, it would appear that the xep is not having trouble accessing the internet. I can also access the Elk just fine using Elk RP and my ISY is communicating fine with it.

I tried changing to a different mail server, no luck. I was using port 587 on one of my mail servers but also tried changing over to port 25 on my godaddy mail server (smtpout.secureserver.net). Neither is working despite both working when used via outlook.

I'm running 1.3.26 firmware on the xep. I did update the firmware on that a little while ago, not exactly sure when, but I suppose it could have been in the general time vacinity of this problem. I have also rebooted my xep a couple times and that doesn't seem to have helped.

wtf?

Mine did that too... Working great, then just stopped one day. They a few months later, I was doing some work on the network... Then the emails just started working again for a while.

The only thing I had done was reboot the router.

They're picky things.. I'd try resetting the router, then the XEP, and seeing if it makes any difference.

Yeah, I rebooted the router, and the wireless access point (even though it is wired) as well.

New discovery.

When I click "receive" on the xep menu, it shows no email addresses or messages in the who/what to send section. I then re-entered addresses and messages, hit send. I logged back in, hit "receive" and it was gone again. I tried several times to enter addresses and messages and each time, they were gone after logging back in and hitting receive.

Originally I had 8 different messages in there. Gone! ???? Also, some of the other settings including the smtp server and port reverted back to settings that were old. After changing them again, they did stick on the new values. I also changed the dns servers ip address and it reverted back to an old setting.

EDIT: I also noticed when I hit "send" I get a popup that says "sending xep setup" then it switches to "sending email1" then it logs off. It doesn't run through all the email numbers. When I hit "receive" it does the same thing but scrolls through email1,email2, etc.

EDIT2: I also tried a power cycle reset, not just a "Reboot". I also tried deleting all the settings in the email section, saving it. Confirmed that they were gone by doing a "receive", then re-entered all of them. Upon reboot and "receive" the settings were all there, but the email fields were once again blank. It would seem that the unit is not sending the contents of the "to" fields and the "message" fields.

What the heck is going on?

I went to a different computer and ran elkrp2 from there and it works (it saves the emails). I had 2.0.6 on the computer that wasn't working and 2.0.10 on the other one. Now I have to figure out what all the emails were supposed to say.

I don't know if it is the version of elkrp or if it is the computer. I am going to try updating elkrp.

Has anyone found that elkrp is a flaky program? I was not able to install it on my office computer at all.

I also have probs with elk's password protected part of their webpage crashing IE on one of my computers.

On all computers I have this issue with elkrp that whenever I close a pop-up window it drops the elk main window to the background behind any other program windows that might be running. It is quite anoying.

Interesting, all three of these computers are the same make and model running the same os.

EDIT: Good news. I updated to 2.0.10 on the primary computer and it works, and it still had all of the email messages saved. So no hunting through my programs to see what it is each one was supposed to say.

I can't say RP being flaky. I have it on 8 different machines and 3 windows platforms with no real issues besides a runtime error that would appear on an older laptop, which I suspect was related to the machine showing it's age.

I have had my M1 with xep running for a little more than a year and have not noticed problems with email. I do have an email message set up as a "Daily Status Message" and a rule that sends me an email each day at a specific time. That way I know that email is working, at least as of the last status message.

I've seen the exact same behavior where the settings weren't saving to the XEP no matter what I did... but I didn't troubleshoot much - I gave up and moved some rules to Elve. I'll have to try updating RP to see if that helps.

I do have an email message set up as a "Daily Status Message" and a rule that sends me an email each day at a specific time. That way I know that email is working, at least as of the last status message.
Great idea! I'm going to do that as well.

I have had my M1 with xep running for a little more than a year and have not noticed problems with email. I do have an email message set up as a "Daily Status Message" and a rule that sends me an email each day at a specific time. That way I know that email is working, at least as of the last status message.
I do something similar. I send an e-mail whenever my garage door is opened and also an e-mail identifying who opened the door. So if there is a day where I don't get 4+ e-mails, I know something isn't working right.

Back