Elk & Z-Wave Locks....?

homejones

Is anyone successfully controlling a Z-Wave lock through an Elk M1 (vis-a-vis the VRC0P-1LW (+3) and M1XSLZW)? I've read through a few threads on this forum, but I've only read about issues with this setup.

I already have 3 Kwikset Z-Wave locks in our house, controlled through a Vera3. I want to centralize everything on my upcoming Elk M1 install and get rid of the Vera. I've read through M1XSLZW pdf and my head is spinning. It seems like there are at least a few restrictions with locks.

So...whoever is using them - what is your real world experience? Do the locks respond consistently when issued a lock or unlock command? Does the status update consistently (both when unlocked/manually via Elk and unlocked/locked manually)? Could I setup a message to be displayed on my keypads whenever the lock position is changed (either via Elk or manually)? Is there a reliable mobile app that will work with Elk to control my locks and display accurate status?

The investment, not including my locks, is just south of $300, so your input would be helpful. Thanks!

I have two z-wave locks. Entrance and back door, however I don't have the m1xslzw, I just use the m1xsp, so I can lock and unlock but can't check status.. I had the serial port, and the m1xslzw didn't look like a full implementation, so I didn't bother upgrading. That said, I unlock/lock my doors reliably. I set my door locks to automatically lock at 8pm, so I don't need to check. It is 100% reliable...

I really wish that the m1xslzw was a complete installation so that certain codes could complete specific commands on the elk....

I'd still recommend for people, in the case of a Zwave deadbolt, install a bolt status monitor (plunger) for the lock itself. We've had issues with units' bolts "stalling" or not fully locking on a door that was close enough to close a DSM/alarm contact, but not with enough play to allow the bolt to fully extend into the cutout.

Depending on the rules or hardware installed, I'm not a fan of locking without confirmation that the unit itself locked and the door closed. Might be because I'm dealing with full blown access control systems and hardware.

I havent' tried it yet, but I thought the locks could report errors or lock status? I know Elk's integration isn't that great, but I thought at least the locks had the ability to report?

The locks report a bunch of conditions, including problems with deadbolt extension, and the vcr0p can receive these. Unfortunately it does not seem that either Elk or HAI process these messages. I had to write my own script to handle them.

I have a Yale working well with my Elk. I do have the M1XSLZW and I can get status of when the lock is manually locked or unlocked . I am disappointed that they haven't implemented more of the lock protocol like others have mentioned. It would be great if at least battery status and the user ID could be reported . I use ek pro with my apple crap to control it. My wife just won a galaxy tablet so now will have to see if their are any good choices for Android .

I have the this setup: Kwikset Z-Wave lock, Elk M1XSLZW 81.04, Leviton VRCOP+3, Leviton VRP03+3, Leviton VR-USB, and Leviton RF+ Installer Toolkit v1.1.
The use case I bought them for was, “Secure house for sleep,” mode. It’s been a big saver as I sometimes forget to lock the primary entrance/exit door. Also, knowing house is locked after armed away is nice too.
1) $300 is a conservative estimate. You will most likely need a VRP03+3 if distance from between VRC0P+3 and lock is more than 20-30 feet (this is an estimate). The VRP03+3 acts as a security bridge.
2) The M1XSLZW supports a large portion of the Z-Wave lock class (lock, unlock, and status).
3) The online manual dated 12/05/2011 is out-of-date. The manual that ships with M1XSLZW contains additional low-battery and jam commands.
4) The M1XSLZW does not support userID field, so you cannot take any actions based on who manipulated the lock.
5) In the 6-8 months I have been using configuration, the locking has stopped working one time. I noticed situation and rebooted Elk; this seemed to fix problem. It’s been two months since this last reboot. I suspect I could have avoided the reboot by issuing a POLL command which forces M1XSLZW to query network again.
6) As Dell mentioned, it would be nice if Z-Wave lock manufactures had added a second out-band-Z-Wave switch that could be queried to ensure bolt was fully extended inside strike plate. The jam detection only detects if the deadbolt could not be fully extended (i.e., not jam detection if door is left wide open).
7) Z-Wave/VRC0P+3 ASCII commands can be sent directly to the M1XSLZW.
8) M1XSLZW is a big improvement over previous solution IMHO.

In addition to the points D made above, without writing rules or checksums for how the panel will react, if at all, if the contact itself is faulted, IE: panel set to force arm at X time, irregardless of door status (DSM). While the Zwave locks are nice, there's other items that need to be thrown into the mix for information that should be supervised in addition to simple lock commands....at least 3-4 rules I can think of that should exist.

I have all the hardware necessary but setting this up is a bit daunting. Dennerline, what z-wave software did you use? And last question, I have only one keypad, when I hookup the z-wave component, do I need an EOL anywhere? I wasn't clear from the instructions. I also assume I can wire the z-wave component and the keypad into the same place on the elk but any more than two items would require an expander of some sort? I have three kwikset locks now and it'll be a waste of $750 if I can't get them hooked up and working. Thank for any help you guys can provide!

The M1XSLZW connects to the data bus, just like a keypad would. The M1XSLZW is a Type 5 device, of which 7 can be installed. Consult the manual for how to wire more than one device to the data bus - I ended up getting the M1DBH. The VRCOP-1LW plugs into the serial port on the M1XSLZW.

I don't know if any other software can be used (possibly), but Elk highly recommends the Leviton VRUSB-US stick, as well as the Leviton Installer Tool software. The Zwave network needs to be configured first. I wasn't sure if my VRCOP would reach my locks, so I installed additional Zwave devices to increase the robustness of my Zwave network; note that these devices much support beaming to work with the locks.

Also, as mentioned above, the lock will report it's lock/unlock state (the Association must be setup) even when the lock is manually used, it will also report battery status if it is sent the <BCLOCK command; the lock will return a 'good' (above 30% status, or a 'low' (below 30%) status. Most of this information is in the M1XSLZW manual. I just set this up myself about 2 weeks ago.

I'll just make it easy on myself and buy the M1DBH, I have that and the zwave stick on order now. Thanks for the help! Does anyone know of any mobile apps that support the zwave lock status? I use eK Pro but i'm not sure if it does locks.

Back