Elk & Z-Wave Locks....?

I havent bough't any of the mobile apps just yet... I'm not sure what direction I want to go yet and I'm generally cautious about researching my end goal prior to making decisions/purchases that may end up not being used. That said, I currently have a DynDNS setup, and I can view the interactive keypad/interface that way. I currently have the lock set to toggle one of the 'phantom' outputs, and I can see the output of that status via the interface. Obviously, the status could be wrong, if the door is actually open [and the deadbolt is engaged]... so there are considerations, but it's where I am with it right now.

Setting up a Z-Wave network using a laptop, Leviton VRUSB, and Levition RF Toolkit (LRFTK) should not be too difficult. The M1XSLZW does support your three Kwikset locks.

You will probably want to start at the farthest end of the house and work back toward the VRC0P+3. I enroll devices using a farthest/nearest strategy. The VRC0P+3 must be enrolled/update last. I re-enroll all my devices twice as this seems to improve the mesh routing table. The LRFTK documentation is pretty good about guiding you. After finishing the basic configuration, I test the devices routing/hops/signal strength to see if messages are being sent in forwarded in a rational manner (complex topic).

If your network only includes locks, you will be disappointed because locks will be frustrating unreliable. You might consider purchasing a few VRP03+3 Plugin Dimmers.

To control locks remotely using a HA application (Elk M12GO), a ElkRP, “Secure House,” task could be added to ruleset. I believe most HA applications that integrate with Elk support task activation.

For those of you are have ELK and zwave locks working, how are you getting status to show up.

I have the Yale lock working with ELK, but I want to know the status before I issue a command. For instance if I want to lock it, I would first like to know if it is unlocked. If it is already locked I would rather not send the lock command and save on network traffic.

Just set an output to reflect the lock's state. I use a couple of outputs that get updated using something SIMILAR to (Can't remember the exact syntax) "WHENEVER ">ULOCK1^M" is received on Serial Port 4 then set OUTPUT 205 to OFF" and WHENVER ">LOCK1^M" is received on Serial Port 4 then set OUTPUT 205 to ON"

Then you could check the output to see whether you want to trigger the rule or not. That being said there is a risk that that the lock won't properly communicate its status so I err on the side of caution and send a ">LOCK^M" command to lock all locks at once.

(I can't remember if the prefix is < or > for these commands so check the manual.)

Mind sharing a link?

Actually I'm embarrassed to say it is in the instructions that came with the M1XSLZW. You can download it from ElkProducts or I can email it to you.

Superjer2000 had the correct syntax. The commands do start with a <
The manual does give more examples which were helpful such as getting battery status, and lock status, and using Tasks to lock and unlock..

BTW, the Kwikset locks automatically report status even when opened via PIN or used manually. This information is discussed in one of the training videos on their website (99% sure it's in the one specific for the M1XSLZW).

Hello all. I have three Zwave Kwikset locks, the RF+ installer stick, the VRC0P, the M1 Gold, and I can get the locks added with the software but the association fails with this error "Failed setting the association". I've temporarily moved the VRC about two feet from the lock and I'm still getting the error. Any thoughts? I really appreciate the guidance, this wasn't a cheap investment and I think I'm close. Thank you!

Back