ElkM1 Gold in a Leviton Enclosure

Jeff R.

I would like to purchase two of the 42" Leviton panels, one will be used for the Elk. My first question is, will the Elk mount in the Leviton Panel. If so do any mounting brackets come with the Elk or will I need to order an additional bracket for the Elk.

Thanks

Jeff

Thanks Digger

I am ordering both panels and the ELK from Automated Outlet, I just was wondering if I needed to order additional brackets before finalizing the order.

You can order brackets or drill two holes in the metal enclosure so the shoulder screws will fit it. I feel drilling two holes is more cost effective.

There is no specific bracket per se, I think you need to get the HAI bracket which is around $20. Electron did this in his setup. Otoh, it is fairly easy to just mount the control like Spanky said.

My $.02 - the bracket is nice if you are not sure how you are laying out your panel as you simply unclip it and move it. If you know where the control is going in the panel and its not gonna move, just mount it by itself.

I did not use the bracket, and did wind up actually moving the controller, so I wound up just having to drill 2 extra holes, but I like it without the bracket and would personally save the money and put it toward something else.

fwiw, the control board sits in a plastic back box and has a snap on cover. To mount it, remove the cover (just pulls right off), take off the control board, use the back box as a template to drill your holes, put the control board and cover back on. Then drill the holes as marked, screw in the shoulder screws and slide the controller on it. Nice clean and simple...

There's always the magnet with double sided tape trick too (thanks Spanky). I like this option because you can place the panel anywhere you need it and are not confined to holes. The stuff I use is from OfficeMax and is pretty thick. I first tried some stuff that was on a roll, but it was too thin.

I am not an EE or such, but would the magnet every mess up any signals? I would think digital/IP or other types of fast signals could be affected....

I guess it works....but what should be avoided?

I've been using the 3M "Dual Lock" sticky-back velcro-esque fasteners. This is heavy duty stuff, an order of magnitude above velcro for holding power.

I put 4 vertical strips the length of my 42" enclosure and then just put short lengths on the back of the M1G and the myriad other little expansions.

duallock.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I won't worry about the brackets now and just get the enclosures and Elk ordered.

Jeff

Smarty said:
I am not an EE or such, but would the magnet every mess up any signals? I would think digital/IP or other types of fast signals could be affected....

I guess it works....but what should be avoided?
Im not an EE either but this was a suggestion of Spanky in another thread so I figured it was O.K. and haven't had any problems. However, I do like what Martin pointed out. It would be nice to be able to run wires underneath.

Thanks Martin,

Where were you last night? LOL
I ordered two of the 42" Leviton enclosures from your store last night. I really like that bracket, I may go ahead and order it when I order the Elk and other cards. I had to order the cans quick, need them installed so the sheet rock can get started.

P.S. Any coupon codes you can send my way before I place this big big order!! LOL

Thanks

Jeff

Yea, that's what I was talking about yesterday in my post above
There is no specific bracket per se, I think you need to get the HAI bracket which is around $20. Electron did this in his setup. Otoh, it is fairly easy to just mount the control like Spanky said.
It's really personal preference. I prefer the can without it, but you do need to know where you will be mounting it. If you are unsure of your layout, the bracket certainly makes it easy to move around. But if the budget is tight, I would put the money toward something more functional. I'm sure you will do a great job either way. Just my $.02

Back