ELKRM on Android OS cell phone?

I spent quite a bit of time last week working on the project. I'm hard at work stripping out a lot of hard-coded things I had (such as the irrigation tab), and replacing them with generic tabs. I plan to ultimately make the app very customizable -- you'll even be able to change the title of the app, as I'm sure most of you don't want "Williams Manor" at the top of your screen all the time :D I ripped out my J9 stuff and am going for straight communication with the Elk. I also advanced the app so I can control my UPB lights now. Things are happening a lot faster than I thought they would be so I'll be releasing to testers an early version next week.

I would love to get in contact with someone from Elk about discussing the possibility of adding a few commands to the protocol in a future firmware that could be used to speed up discovery of "defined" devices on mobile phones - things can get a bit slow if you aren’t on WiFi (Like the ZD command but for outputs, lights, etc.). Also need to find out the legalities of mentioning Elk in the app's description and all of that.

We're making progress people!

Kent

Hi Kent,
just got a HTC incredible on Thursday and am jumping into controlling my Elk M1 with it. I'm happy to help test this for you, I couldn't send you a PM though. Very comfortable with Eclipse/Java if you want to count me in the testing, send me a PM.

Tony

Looks awesome. You misspelled porch, though. :)

Doh! I write software professionally -- looks like I've gotten too used to having a QA team at my disposal. As I won't have a QA team for this project, I'd like to invite anyone who would be interested in doing a non-public preview of the software go ahead and PM me your e-mail address. It'll be a few weeks until I have something ready to go, but when that time comes I want to hit the ground running. During those few weeks I might e-mail out screenshots requesting feedback and asking for desired features. If possible, please provide a general overview of what devices are connected to your Elk. You must be comfortable with downloading and installing the development environment (Eclipse) & the Android SDK to push the package to your phone (I'll supply a guide). Those who actually help out I will provide promo codes to when the software gets released to the market.

Kent

Hi Kent,
just got a HTC incredible on Thursday and am jumping into controlling my Elk M1 with it. I'm happy to help test this for you, I couldn't send you a PM though. Very comfortable with Eclipse/Java if you want to count me in the testing, send me a PM.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for your interest! I tried to send you a PM, however I encountered the error "This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger." I assume you got something similar. After a few more posts here it will let you PM me.

Kent

Hi Ken, we could go old fashioned here, my email is f e h g u y [ a t ] g m a i l d o t c o m

Hi Kent,

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for your interest! I tried to send you a PM, however I encountered the error "This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger." I assume you got something similar. After a few more posts here it will let you PM me.

Kent

ditto the looking for beta testers... PM me if interested, and that could tip me over to the incredible.

Still looking for beta testers? I'll be getting my incredible in the next couple of days =). I have a pretty basic elk install for now(security only), but I am definitely a special case =D. I don't have the elk ethernet interface, instead I run the serial port into a laptop, and run VSPE to serve the com port over TCP/IP. It works on my iPhone(that i'll be getting rid of) as long as you communicate via the serial protocol. It's a cheaper(free) option and works perfectly for me so far.

Thank you all for the interest!

You'll be happy to know that I'm actually very close to having the app ready to release to the market. At this point I have a solid QA team, however if that changes I'll be sure to contact you. Expect to see the app on the market within a few weeks!

Kent

You'll be happy to know that I'm actually very close to having the app ready to release to the market. At this point I have a solid QA team, however if that changes I'll be sure to contact you. Expect to see the app on the market within a few weeks!

Kent

Kent,

Count me as an amateur with interest. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S (Tmobile Vibrant) and want badly to control my M1 from it.

Curtis D.

Kent

Any updates Kent? Haven't seen anything in the store yet =)

You'll be happy to know that I have something I'm comfortable releasing on the market. I've submitted my applications for a business license, etc. and hope to recieve them shortly. Once I get my license numbers and tax id I can complete my android marketplace account and release the app =)

Kent

You'll be happy to know that I have something I'm comfortable releasing on the market. I've submitted my applications for a business license, etc. and hope to recieve them shortly. Once I get my license numbers and tax id I can complete my android marketplace account and release the app =)

Kent

That's great news!

Back