ElkRP Software Question

Niccolo

Under the heading "Basic Network Setup," the ELK M1XEP installation manual says "start the ELKRP software and open the desired account." (Manual at 4.) How does one do this? I have a Mac and the local network is an Airport Extreme. I also have an elderly PC that can access the local network.

Under the heading "Basic Network Setup," the ELK M1XEP installation manual says "start the ELKRP software and open the desired account." (Manual at 4.) How does one do this? I have a Mac and the local network is an Airport Extreme. I also have an elderly PC that can access the local network.

You have to download and install ElkRP from the downloads section on their website on your PC. Don't think they have a Mac version. If you don't already have an account on that site you will need to sign up for one. It may take a day or two to get a response.

I run ElkRP on a mac... sort of. I just installed XP under VirtualBox (free) and run it from that.

ElkRP is designed for an installer, so the first screen has a listing of all of your clients. Just create a new account for your system and use that one. There are already a few samples in there. It will ask you if you want to base it off an existing account, I just created a blank account and started from scratch.

I run ElkRP on a mac... sort of. I just installed XP under VirtualBox (free) and run it from that.

ElkRP is designed for an installer, so the first screen has a listing of all of your clients. Just create a new account for your system and use that one. There are already a few samples in there. It will ask you if you want to base it off an existing account, I just created a blank account and started from scratch.

Thanks. I have an old laptop with Windows that connects to the home network. I guess I can download to it, but does ElkRP need XP to run? If all else fails, I can still program through the Key Pad, correct?

Also, I have the ISY/Insteon stuff with the Elk internet interface. Will those will work without downloading the ELKRP software?

You have to download and install ElkRP from the downloads section on their website on your PC. Don't think they have a Mac version. If you don't already have an account on that site you will need to sign up for one. It may take a day or two to get a response.

Thanks.

You can program through the keypad, but it's WAY more efficient and intuitive to do it with ELKRP. Plus, you'll have a backup of your whole config in the unlikely event that your panel dies.

Actually, I'm not sure if you can do everything through the keypad. Can you create automation rules through the keypad? And custom messages using the built in vocabulary? I know you can at least set up zones and outputs.

Also, I have the ISY/Insteon stuff with the Elk internet interface. Will those will work without downloading the ELKRP software?

The only way I know of to do the import of the data from the ISY to the Elk is via ElkRP. You can still configure the ISY to talk to and monitor the ELK, but without the import the ELK won't have the ISY devices in it.

Back