Entering the industry

igneous

I'm currently a senior in college, will have a business management degree this spring, and am considering entering the home automation/theater/security industry in some way. I currently only have the training that includes me messing around with computers, home automation stuff, etc. here, and no certification for anything. I have been thinking a lot about opening a business of some sort in this field, but was wondering if any of the people here have any advice? I'm thinking a business that does installation, sales, and consulting would be nice, but obviously would have to start somewhat small..

Hi igneous,

Welcome to CocoonTech!

You didn't mention were you are from, and it bears on your question.The biggest barrior to starting that I have found is licensing and legal issues. Depending on your location, you might need all of the following, or various permutations.

1. Business license (may be required at the city/county/state level)
2. Contractors license
3. Zoning exception for running a business out of the home
4. Low Voltage license (installing telco, TV, computer cables, etc.)
5. Security Installers license (installing alarm systems)
6. Electricians license (see below)
7. Insurance
8. Bonding

In my area a security or electical license can replace the LV license. All three require previous experience (IIRC 2 years for the security & LV, 5 years for the electrical) and possibly some type of test. The security license may also require a criminal background check (probably a NCIC query).

I would worry the least about the electrical license. Most areas will allow someone with a contractors license to replace receptacles and switches, which covers 90% of the requirements. If you need work done in the panel or are in one of the few jurisdictions that require an electrician for ANY electical work, hire/subcontract an electrician.

Training and certification can be obtained in many ways, but of course the best way to learn something is to do it. Find a small alarm business and see if they are interested in partnering to get into new areas. Most of the major manufacturers also having traveling "road show" training classes.

If it all sounds like a major hassle, IT IS! However, take heart in some of the bozos that are already licensed. I know some gap-toothed, mono-syllable wonders, who have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time, but still managed to be licensed electicians. :) If you can get your business degree, you've obviously got a lot more upstairs than those idiots. ;)

well right now I'm in the lake tahoe area finishing colllege, but I think when I'm done I'll be back home in new england, specifically Rhode Island.

new england, specifically Rhode Island
Ugh. I don't know about RI specifically, but New England tends to be heavy on the regulation side. Get on the web and do some searching, most states have the applicable laws online now. As with any bureaucracy, expect to get different answers depending on what department/person/time of day/phase of the moon/etc. that answers the question. As I mentioned before, the obstacles are not insurmountable, but just a general PITA. ;)

igneous,

Welcome to the board and good luck in your future plans!

There are a lot of great resources on this board. Feel free to ask away.

I would start by thinking of where you want to focus. Right out of the gates, you won't be an expert at everything. Add on areas of interest gradually. The key will be to do a great job for your customers so that they'll come back and tell other people about you. Start with the areas that are most interesting to you.

Rhode Island will be a challenge. I can tell you from my experience, it's not really a hotbed for home automation. Perhaps that's an opportunity though!

Good luck,

Martin

AutomatedOutlet said:
igneous,

Welcome to the board and good luck in your future plans!

There are a lot of great resources on this board. Feel free to ask away.

I would start by thinking of where you want to focus. Right out of the gates, you won't be an expert at everything. Add on areas of interest gradually. The key will be to do a great job for your customers so that they'll come back and tell other people about you. Start with the areas that are most interesting to you.

Rhode Island will be a challenge. I can tell you from my experience, it's not really a hotbed for home automation. Perhaps that's an opportunity though!

Good luck,

Martin
I think education about home automation is a big problem in areas where it isn't very common. I think I would like to start out in home theater, work my way into automation, and eventually security as well. I think its a great time to get into the industry, as things are changing and getting so much better very quickly.

I think education about home automation is a big problem in areas where it isn't very common.
You might have to travel a bit for classes. I'm heading down to the Electronic House Expo the last week of the month to pickup a bunch of training, including a full day on home theatre installation. I didn't find any OnQ training in RI/MA/CN, in the immediate future, so you might have to bouce over to NY. Some distributors have on-line training also.

There is also a good new/bad news situation in your area. One of the 800 lb gorillas of installation is in the area, namely Tweeter. That provides increased awareness of the field, and an ideal training ground if you are willing to work for them for a few years (they might have no-compete clauses for employees). The bad is that they would be a (large) competitor. You would have to distinguish yourself with personal service.

jlehnert said:
I think education about home automation is a big problem in areas where it isn't very common.
You might have to travel a bit for classes. I'm heading down to the Electronic House Expo the last week of the month to pickup a bunch of training, including a full day on home theatre installation. I didn't find any OnQ training in RI/MA/CN, in the immediate future, so you might have to bouce over to NY. Some distributors have on-line training also.

There is also a good new/bad news situation in your area. One of the 800 lb gorillas of installation is in the area, namely Tweeter. That provides increased awareness of the field, and an ideal training ground if you are willing to work for them for a few years (they might have no-compete clauses for employees). The bad is that they would be a (large) competitor. You would have to distinguish yourself with personal service.
I know, thats one competitor I really would worry about, since thats pretty much their market. I did think about applying there after I graduate, and that could be a possibility. Will have to look into the no-compete clause too..

Back