EQ based on Humidity

upstatemike

I just turned on some music and noticed it doesn't sound quite as crisp as it usually does. I suspect the difference is due to the fact that the humidity is at 99% at the moment instead of down in the 60% range that I would normally expect. So I was thinking with all the wonderful automation at my disposal that I should be able to have different EQ settings for my stereo that are set by my automation system based on current humidity. Is anybody already doing this?

Are you serious? I started laughing just reading the title... however, at the same time I'm very intrigued! :D

To do it right, you'll have to have the EQ change based on both humidity and atmospheric pressure. You'll have to tweak your EQ to optimal sound at various combinations of humidity and pressure, and save them as presets, with your HA system applying the appropriate preset as the conditions change.

But why stop there.

As you may or may not know, the placement of object in a room can impact how the room sounds, so you'll need to actively track every person and/or pet in the room so the EQ can dynamically respond to the room.

It may be easier ,however, to use a really hi-tech HVAC approach and just keep the house at a constant temp, pressure and humidity...

An interesting post I found:

propogation in a gas such as air under normal conditions goes as:

c = sqrt(y P0/p0)

where c is the velocity of propogation, y is ratio of specific heats of the gas (for air, which is essentially a diatomic gas, y = 1.402, and is largely independent of
temperature over the range of such where we'd want to do our listening), P0 is the constant equilibrium pressure of the gas, which at 0C is 1.103*10^5 Pascals, and p0 is the constant equilibrium density of the gas, which at 0C is 1.293 kg/m^3. This leads to a velocity of sound at 0C of 331.6 m/s.

If we then explore the temperature dependency, as it effects P0 and p0 (since we find that y is independent of temperature), the result is that the velocity goes as the square root of the absolute temperature, and this first expression reduces
to a temperature dependent form:

c = sqrt(y r Tk)

To quote from Kinsler:

"For most gases at constant temperature, the ratio of P0/p0 is nearly independent of pressure: a doubling of pressure is accompanied by a doubling of density of
the gas, so that the speed of sound does not change with variation of density"

As can be found in Kinsler, Frey, Beranek and others, one that over moderate distances and the audible frequency range (say, less than 10 meters and at frequencies below 25 kHz), large changes in relative humidity have no significant
effect on the propogation of sound.

One can find, without much effort, other means of determining the dependency on the "characteristics or air" temperature, pressure and humidity to an equal degree of scientific rigor.

The conclusion is fairly straightforward:

Over the range of temperatures, pressures and humidities one is likely to encounter in a home listening situation, with the exception of the propogation velocity, ambient conditions have no significant effect on the propogation
characteristics of sound.

Even is one then considers the propogation velocity, it goes as the square root of absolute temperature. Consider a range of 15C (65F or 288K) to 35C (95C or 308K), the difference in propogation velocity is sqrt(308/288) or about 3%.

Consider the context of what variations are likely to be found: in addition to the small variation due to temperature, pressure does NOT vary over a wide range
except in extraordinary circumstances (usually referred to as "hurricanes"), circumstances under which the critical acoustics properties of air are rather unimportant.

Thus, it would seem that the ACOUSTIC properties of air one might encounter is unlikely to cause any significant difference in sound.

upstatemike said:
I just turned on some music and noticed it doesn't sound quite as crisp as it usually does. I suspect the difference is due to the fact that the humidity is at 99% at the moment instead of down in the 60% range that I would normally expect. So I was thinking with all the wonderful automation at my disposal that I should be able to have different EQ settings for my stereo that are set by my automation system based on current humidity. Is anybody already doing this?
Man, that's hardcore. You are my hero :D

--Jamie

I guess it depends on whether you agree that a 3% difference in propogation velocity is not significant at the upper end of the audible frequency range (plus significant ultrasonic harmonics). I'll concede it does not noticeably degrade subwoofer performance.

well if it's humidity, then I would guess that its more to do with the speakers themselves and not the air the sound is traveling through . . . ie: making changes via an EQ would not be able to correct the problem as the damp speakers just can't hit those notes (cleanly) . . . maybe a small dehumidifier for the speaker cabinets . . .

Pete C

No way to do anything to the speaker cabinets without negativly impacting the sound. Maybe a beam of dehumidifying microwaves directed towards the speakers would work.

Back