Eureka on Sci Fi

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Who has been watching this new show? I just caught up with the 2nd episode, which was about several things including 'extreme home automation'. I know both my wife and I were laughing (and maybe a little afraid lol).

My Mother-in-Law told me about this last night because she knew I was into HA but I haven't seen an episode yet. Sounds interesting, you might have a bunch more Cocooners soon.

I thought a lot of the HA stuff was interesting. It really wasn't that far out there - except for the AI.

Warning: minor spoiler coming.

One thing I thought was extremely silly was the rotating refrigerator.

I saw it. I think they were using the latest version of HAL 2000 with HAL voices installed. Kind of pushes me back towards hardware based systems that won't get mad and lock you out for coming home late!

smee said:
I am in the middle of a Kitchen remodel and was trying to figure how to fit one of those in but if you think it looks silly maybe I should reconsider. Next I guess you'll tell me my walk-in microwave is a dumb idea to!

upstatemike said:
smee said:
I am in the middle of a Kitchen remodel and was trying to figure how to fit one of those in but if you think it looks silly maybe I should reconsider. Next I guess you'll tell me my walk-in microwave is a dumb idea to!
It's probably ok, as long as you don't get motion sick standing on the rotating platform in the microwave.

I agree the rotating fridge was odd, but the fact that it dispensed beer made up for the oddity.

My wife and I agreed that it is probably an actual "home of tommorrow" model house they used and not a set. Of course, the "personality" of the house was added in for the scifi effect. I also suggested that if it was a model home, that the occupants would probably have to wear RFID brecelets or the like in order for the automation that was occuring to actually occur. Of course, for the show (and if this was a real model home) they probably had engineers controlling the various items manually. And, I guess the model home wouldn't be in a bunker either...

Back