Even your router can be smart with the Securifi Almond 3

pete_c

Guru
Just a copy and paste reprint from here ==> Digital Trends

By Lulu Chang —
May 5, 2016

Almond-3-bundle-lifestyle_3.jpg

Your smart home just got even smarter. On Thursday, Securifi, the company known for creating the world’s first touchscreen router, announced the release of its Almond 3 Smart Home Wi-Fi system. Integrated with Amazon Echo’s Alexa, the Almond 3 allows multiple units to come together to create a broad Wi-Fi network that can cover an entire home or office. With its dual‐band AC1200 Wi-Fi, a ZigBee radio, and a programmable siren for security, the product is intended to provide wireless Internet for the true 21st-century household.

“The bar for what defines a ‘home Wi‐Fi system’ continues to rise, and the Almond 3 Smart Home Wi‐Fi System is one of the most comprehensive products on the market today,” said Rammohan Malasani, CEO of Securifi. “We are bringing a complete Wi‐Fi solution to the home with a robust feature set that is, most importantly, easy to setup and manage.”

The real draw of this smart router is its ability to provide a single Wi-Fi network to every nook and cranny of your home. Promising faster streaming, gaming, Web surfing, video chatting, and more, each Almond 3 is capable of covering 1,300 square feet. And if you connect a number of these devices together, you’ll create an even stronger mesh network that Securifi claims will do away with dead zones in your home.

The Almond 3 also features a built-in smart home automation hub. This takes advantage of the router’s ZigBee technology, allowing the router to communicate with your light bulbs, door and window sensors, thermostats, locks, and other smart devices, simply by pairing these devices to your Almond via its free companion app. The app also gives users a control center from which they can view and control all Wi-Fi-supported and smart home products. And of course, with its Alexa integration, users can control hundreds of Almond-compatible devices using nothing more than their voice and their Amazon Echo (or any other Alexa-enabled device).

“We’re thrilled that Securifi has expanded its integration with Alexa,” said Amazon Alexa Director Rob Pulciani. “Now our connected home customers can control multiple devices, sound systems, and thermostats with Almond products using just their voice. Having a connected home with Alexa has never been easier.”

Currently available for pre-order at the introductory price of $120 per unit, you can buy a three-pack bundle for $300 (significantly less than its retail price of $400). Securifi expects these devices to ship in June.

I think that a router should stay a router and handle wired/wireless IP and firewall. I like breaking tasks off to individual components myself for easier troubleshooting, selective upgrading and less expensive repairs. i don't think that putting router, security and automation all in one unit is wise.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I think that a router should stay a router and handle wired/wireless IP and firewall. I like breaking tasks off to individual components myself for easier troubleshooting, selective upgrading and less expensive repairs. i don't think that putting router, security and automation all in one unit is wise.

Mike.

I'm in agreement with you Mike, or example I've moved my WiFi outside my router. Now a reboot of the router doesn't take down the local content. I much prefer that these different systems stay separate systems. I understand that consumers want an all in one solution but as an engineer I don't like it (skipping the long story of why).

Same here Neil and Mike and same here relating to engineering.  (I thought it was just me).

For Home production use I have a separate modem, firewall (PFSense), managed AP, VOIP box, automation box and managed switches. 

Thinking too have told folks how to build a clock when asked what the time was.

The ISP push is an all inclusive rental box combining all of the above and now adding automation to said combination that they manage and you rent. 

It is a win win for them. 

Many consumers do not want to know about grey areas of this stuff and rather like a one size fits all type.

I was probably the first on the block to get Verizon FIOS.  I didn't like the cartoon characters on their combo modem,AP, Router, firewall switch box so shut most of it all and used my own stuff.

Add the Amazon Echo voice recognition / text to speech to the mix and it becomes a better sell.

Securifi used the Amazon cloud services from the get go way back and it was/is very fast.

The Securifi Almond endeavor is truly the only kick starter that I ever got involved with.  Many folks today are into combined doo functional boxes and Securifi added a touch screen interface to their product (and patented it).  It is both a cloud and not a cloud connected automation hub. 

Back