Exterior sirens - yea or nay?

Check local code - they very well might dictate what's allowed (my last city did) - and may even outright prohibit it. 

Work2Play said:
Check local code - they very well might dictate what's allowed (my last city did) - and may even outright prohibit it. 

In my town outside sirens are allowed but you are required to register the system with the police if you do use them.

mikefamig said:
I found that the inside sirens can be heard from outside if they are loud enough and a strobe on the front of the house satisfies most of your list. The M1TWA sound module seems to have a higher output than the audio on the M1 panel and you can add a screecher or some other loud noise maker that could be heard from outside..
Mike.

Mike.

Possibly.  Maybe.  One good side effects of being in hurricane country is hurricane windows and doors, which tend to cut out a lot of outside noise (and conversely, inside noise is harder to get to the outside).   To be fair, though, I did put a speaker in the garage, which can be heard from the driveway fairly well.  But the siren can be heard for a couple blocks.   :nutz:

I figure if the purpose is to alert people outside having one outside is more effective than hoping they overhead the inside.  It's not like, in the scope of things, it is expensive. 

If you are rural, siren is good idea. But I would have it loud enough that neighbors will hear it, but not too loud to annoy. Last thing you want is to piss off all your neighbors.

We used to have a stupid rental place near our apartment and their alarm would go off all the time for no reason. One day, someone smashed it.

I like exterior red strobe lights. No noise for anyone to object to but disconcerting enough to a burglar to make them not want to linger. Also good beacon for ambulance, fire, police responding to a 911 call. Works best if you have more than one to reduce the chance it will just be ignored.

newalarm said:
If you are rural, siren is good idea. But I would have it loud enough that neighbors will hear it, but not too loud to annoy. Last thing you want is to piss off all your neighbors.

We used to have a stupid rental place near our apartment and their alarm would go off all the time for no reason. One day, someone smashed it.

"Someone" did, eh?

In the 80's/90's, everyone did the bells on the outside of their custom homes.  False alarms would go off all the time, and nobody paid any attention.  Now they just annoy people.    I like the idea of a subtle noise someone would only hear if they're outside combined with the strobes - in fact, now I'm thinking of adding some strobes to my driveway pillars.

pvrfan said:
"Someone" did, eh?
 Wish I had!

@Work2Play even 'subtle' alarms may be extremely annoying to some people. I am sensitive to base and my wife does not really hear it. There is nothing more annoying to me than someone playing music/radio and all you hear in your house is the base.

I bought some strobes with intent on drawing attention to alarm from outside for neighbors, police and emergency vehicles. Have not yet installed them.

I'm pretty sensitive to the lower bass tones too - whether it's someone's car stereo, or even my neighbor's car in the driveway nearly 1000' away - I hear everything.  Drives me nuts working from home... at my last house I had to have cameras outside so I could at least tell what all the noises were - I need to do that here too.

That said, for the purposes of this discussion, alarm sounds are generally higher pitched sounds that don't have a lot of travel.  One of my houses had screamers inside but the houses were spaced just right - if you were outside and within a few hundred feet, you'd hear it but it almost took a second to tell what it was.  It certainly wouldn't carry or worse, amplify, as you entered your house.

Here purchased el cheap combo red and blue strobes with piezo sirens for outdoor use.  I can disconnect the piezo siren part.

They are tiny, loud and bright strobes and $5 each.

I am not sure though which I should utilize outside.

blue.jpg

Red or Blue?

What is the suggestion fellow Cocoontech peers?

Gravitating here to blue.

mikefamig said:
Red for police emergency and blue for fire?

Mike.
I'd have wondered if you were kidding before I left California.  I have to admit, they had their emergency lights down.  Red/white for fire; Blue/Red for Police; Orange for construction, tow, etc.  It made SO much more sense.  In CO, it seems like every vehicle can have red/blue - fire, police, tow, snow plows, and god knows what else.  In CA, I once got pulled over for putting blue lenses on my fog lights - I hadn't made it 2 miles after installing them before I got lit up for "Impersonating an Officer".

I've noticed here that the volunteer fire vehicles use blue lights and just thought why not use the lights to add a bit of information?

Mike.

Personally... go with what matches your house better. In the end either works to simply provide that beacon to find your house.
My strobe will run a lot longer than the few minutes my exterior siren does.

Back