Fan speed control

InFlux

Does anyone know of automation products capable of controling the speed of ceiling fans? I have not settled on an automation technology yet, and this is one of my variables.

Having moved from the north to the south, I am now the owner of a home with 10 ceiling fans. Since a fan helps cool the person (water evaporation), but not the room, it saves some energy to turn fans on and off as needed and set back the A/C. While a light is used at night, a ceiling fan is used in both the day and the night, so that means a lot more switching. Minimally we can automate that switching... no problem there. The issue is the speed control, and divorcing the light from the fan's proprietary control so that it can be automated and dimmed too.

As an engineer I know the various ways that a person could control the speed of ceiling fans, but as a consumer I have no clue what products are available, and of the ones that I have found I do not find any specs that could tell what and how well the product does it. I would like to avoid anything that introduces hum into the fan motor, or involves series resistors. A number of the fans switch in different capacitors, which I view as a decent method. Several relay outputs and some surgery on the fan to acquire the capacitors could allow us to automate the speed control... albeit not cost effectively.

Our fans are Hunter, MonteCarlo, and one Emerson with a DC motor. All of the fans have lights too. Some fans are cheap with a pull cord to change the speeds. Others have their custom wall switch and custom remote controls. On most with wireless speed control the electronics go up in the fan, with one power circuit to the unit and a wireless remote to control the light and fan individually. As far as I can see, none of the companies are so far along as to have an interface to any standardized home automation. We would like to dim the light using the automation instead of the fan's method, and then automate control of the fan speed so that we can jettison the fan's method all together. We imagine programming the fan speeds based on the temperature of the home, the temperature outside, and only use the fans on the hotter days when the thermal set back is energy wise.

The Emerson DC motor is probably going to need to retain it's proprietary circuitry and just be relay switched for the automation. If I fall into an automation technology that does not have fan speed control, then my fall back plan is to relay switch the fans and bypass the lights for their automated dim control.

Does anyone know of automation products capable of controling the speed of ceiling fans?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone knows of a fan control that will specifically work with Insteon, I'd love to hear it. Tried hooking up a Switchlinc dimmer and got "the hum". Thanks.

Are the fans wired with seperate switches for fan and light?
The house was wired with two switches in each room for fan and light. Most fans have the two wired separate, but a few do not because the light and fan are wired into the fan's remote receiver inside of the fan. On those few, the light could easily be brought out separately.

The house was wired with two switches in each room for fan and light. Most fans have the two wired separate, but a few do not because the light and fan are wired into the fan's remote receiver inside of the fan. On those few, the light could easily be brought out separately.

There are both zwave and x10 fan controller switches available. Soon there will also be an inline UPB fan switch also.

There are both zwave and x10 fan controller switches available. Soon there will also be an inline UPB fan switch also.

Well that is a tease -- any details on the UPB fan switch?

Indeed! Does anyone have any additional information on this UPB fan switch? Any downside to using a SAI US2-40 dimmer to control a fan?

Indeed! Does anyone have any additional information on this UPB fan switch? Any downside to using a SAI US2-40 dimmer to control a fan?

It's my understanding that if you use a dimmer to control a fan motor, it will eventually damage the motor. I've been told several times by electrician friends to never do this.

I can not speak to the comment above, but for more than three years I have used an Insteon SwitchLinc Dimmer switch to control a Hunter ceiling fan. The Hunter ceiling fan has 4 settings controlled by a pull chain (high, medium, low, and off). The fan is wired to two wall switches, one to control the fan and the other to control the fan light (which is optional and not installed). I installed the SwitchLinc Dimmer in place of the wall switch that controls the fan. I used the fan’s pull chain to set the fan speed to medium, and now only use the dimmer switch to control the fan.

When the fan’s pull chain is set to high, a hum occurred at some speeds (even when following the fans instructions to “select HIGH speed until
motor starts, then select desired speedâ€, but when the fan’s pull chain is used to set the speed to either medium or low, no hum could be heard when dimming with the SwitchLinc. By the way, my daughter likes to sleep in that room on hot nights, so if there was any hum, I would have “heard†it from her.

It may be of interest to know that the room is used for game and movie nights, and was my first automation project. The fan is linked to an Insteon ControLinc, which controls the lights, the ceiling fan, and a couple of scenes (like “Movie†and “Intermissionâ€). I also had it linked to a RemoteLinc, but found the permanently located ControLinc worked better in that room (and didn’t get stuffed into the sofa).

Good luck,
Mike

Here's my attempt at help, you may have already thought of this so apologies in advance: just wire the fan & light to separate switches (so they're controlled individually.) Use a dimmable switch for the light & a regular on/off switch for the fan. Not sure what kind of switches you're using but I know my Insteon switches would work...I have my fans on Insteon switches & they work fine (but they're not dimmable insteon switches, they're the simple on/off ones.) Then automate the switches, the only thing you can't do is adjust the speed of the fan, you have to set that manually. But you can control the light (dimmable), & control the fan (on/off). Do you really want to vary the speed of the fan regularly? If so, this idea won't help. Good luck!

You can also control the fan with any UPB switch, as long as you DISABLE the dimmer. As you probably know, most UPB switches can be dimmer switches and they can also be on/off switches. I have six fans in my house controlled by Simply Automated switches set to non-dim, and they all work great. No noise, and have been running fine for years. Don't, of course, ever use a dimmer on a fan. I thought at one time PCS made a three-speed fan switch, but it was pretty pricy, $200+ As others have said, how often do you really change the speed anyway?

This is way overkill (I'd personally use a relay switch on the fan and not worry about automated fan speed control), but I think it should work. If you put one of the normal (non-automation) remote fan controls on the fan, I bet you could hack the original fan remote and solder relay wires to the switch contacts. Then use a couple of relays to provide momentary contact for which every speed you wanted. I guess you would need 4 contacts - High, Med, Low and Off. Of course the remote would need to be permanently placed where the RF signal could still reach the fans. So worse case scenerio, you would need a box mounted with the remote and relays inside of it somewhere in the room where the fan is located. Hopefully there is a closet or some other "out of the way" place you could put all that stuff that is still close enough to the fans that it would work.

I have Casablanca fans. I've heard that Casablanca uses a modified X10 powerline protocol from switch to fan to control motor speed. If only there was a UPB module that could talk the Casablanca protocol....

Question-  I still see no UPB based solutions for variable fan speed control.  In my application I have an Energy Recovery Ventilator that is normally run at low speed for pre-heated/cooled (season dependent) fresh air supply to the house.  I would like to have my HAI OPII increase the supply fans to full speed when the bathroom exhaust or dryer is running to pull in more air to make up for what is being exhausted-  i.e. bring in makeup air through the filtered and pre-conditioned ERV rather than through seepage.

I currently have a motor speed control (manually controlled) that I use to adjust the airflow of the FanTech "100% speed controllable, All units are suitable for use with solid-state speed control" inline external rotor exhaust fans on the ERV.  If I put a relay in parallel with the two wire speed control when the relay closes the fan would go to full speed, open and it will drop back to the speed setting selected by the speed control, correct?  I would do this with a RIB relay so it is a solid short.  Control the RIB with a UPB I/O module.

This would at least give me high/low speed control of the blowers.

Any suggestions before I do a test on this?  I have three Fantech units each with standalone speed control; they work just fine with no motor buzzing.  I have one underslab venting Fantech running at very low speed for years with no problem (i.e. the motor hasn't burned up on the one running at about 20% speed much of the year).

broconne said:
I agree that is a tease. I use UPB for fans now, just not speed control, just on and off. Most places I don't vary the speed much anyway but in the evenings I'd like to vary the speed in our bedroom depending the temp. It's really the only place that on or off doesn't work all that well.

So yeah, a little more detail would be nice to have. For as often as they come out a new UPB device should be treated as a major event. :)

Back