Network switch not connecting at gigabit speed

JimS

Discovered that a TP-Link switch I have isn't connecting to my pfsense box at full speed - it's getting a 100Mbps connection. So I started looking around as I have several similar switches in rooms where I have more than one network thing attached. Seems to be a common problem with 100Mbps several places I have checked. The connections between switch and PC in each case is a short patch cable rated for gigabit speed. If I connect other things with the same cables they connect at full speed. I did a google search and found some people having problems but didn't find anyone saying it was a widespread issue with these switches. I know the switches are low end. But if they claim gigabit it seems like I should get that, at least with short cables. It's not a huge deal as everything is working ok but getting full speed would be nice and trying to understand what the issue is. Any suggestions? BTW, the switch is TL-SG108 and the 5 port version TL-SG105.

Can you connect a laptop with GB to the LAN side of the PFSense box? Does it work at Gb speeds?

I have not had any issues here with the TP-Link Gb switches I use.

Can you connect a laptop with GB to the LAN side of the PFSense box? Does it work at Gb speeds?

I have not had any issues here with the TP-Link Gb switches I use.
It connects at GB speed between pfsense and pc when directly connected. When I put the switch between both links connect at 100Mbps.

BTW, the switches don't have lights that show the speed so it's a bit hard to tell unless it is connected to something else that indicates the speed. The switches just have port lights that show connection, not speed.

Reset the switch and try again. PFSense Interface status will indicate speed of connection.

Did the switch work before your thunderstorm a few weeks back?

The TP-Links Easy Managed switch has a web interface to look at the speeds of the ports and built in diagnostics.

I tried power cycling the switch (I saw some comments that has fixed issues for some people) but it didn't change anything.

We didn't have much lightening during the recent storm. It was mostly rain and high winds. I am not sure but think the issues existed before that. And I am seeing the same speed issues several layers away from the switch on the pfsense box. I doubt it's storm damage.

TP-Links managed switch is different than what I have - I haven't looked at those. Of course I could get a managed switch. I did see a used managed switch available cheap locally so could use that as the first layer (splitting the network to different rooms/areas). That would be an improvement for internet transfers although it won't give me high speed for local PC to PC transfers or even PCs that go through another switch in their area. One of the things I am looking at is doing a huge transfer from PC to PC to upgrade one of my units - I could bypass the local switches temporarily for that.

Back