Faulty US11-30?

Jim Doolittle

Got some help from board members and got my first set of UPB US2-40 switches installed. They are working great and have impressed the whole family. They like the LEDs :rolleyes: I did not point out that the X10 switch had red/green LED. Maybe the difference is the blue LED.

Anyway, I also installed a US11-30 and it will not turn load off. I bought the UPB stuff from AutomatedOutlet who has been great. I sent an email mentioning that I have this switch controlling fluorescents and disabled dimming within UPStart. I have tried reseating switchplate. No luck. I removed the USR from the equation. Still no luck. Finally, I built a demo setup using an incandescent lamp fixture. Lamp lighted immediately but still unable to turn it off. The switch is found by UPStart and I can assign links to rockers and get links to Activate. Still no ability to turn off load.

An AutomatedOulet rep suggested purchasing new switch, waiting for it to arrive, sending in old one, and then getting credit. Before I go to all that trouble, is there something else I can check. UPStart says signal is good. Noise is low. Would like to swap it for a US2-40 to be more versatile. The main issue now is getting the lights working again. I sure don't wnat to put the X10 switches back in the interim.

BTW, I think I am posting this in the wrong forum and should check for a better one. Sorry.

While it is likely the switch is bad, there are a couple of things you can do to confirm. First, if it is the bottom rocker that you suspect, you can tap the bottom rocker 5 times to see if switch goes into setup. If it does, you at least know the rocker and switch button are working.

You can also go into UpStart to the Test tab and turn it on and off from there. If it does not turn off, the switch is definitely bad. If the light does not turn on and off from the test tab, you may want to confirm that the switch is setup as a US1/US2 and will show as US11 on the graphic.

I can easily enter into setup mode with rocker switch and can even have UPStart see the switch and can also create and acitvcate links but no luck at turning load off.

I will go through the replacement process. Thanks.

Jim

Jim Doolittle said:
I can easily enter into setup mode with rocker switch and can even have UPStart see the switch and can also create and acitvcate links but no luck at turning load off.

I will go through the replacement process. Thanks.

Jim
Well, sometimes a link can be set wrong which will cause the rocker not to control the load, that is pretty easy to mess up, thats why I suggested the test tab because that will test the on/off circuitry of the switch.

By test tab, do you mean control within UPStart? Tried that and still no success. Ordered new switch but will keep this one if I prove that it is not faulty.

Yes, I meant when you 'open' the switch in UPStart to get to the config dialog, there is a tab called Test where you can click to turn on, off or blink. If you can turn it on in there but not off then the switch is definitely bad, which was the assumption, but its just nice to prove it for sure.

Still no luck. Thanks. I think I will replace the 1130 with a 240 while I am at it. Not related to my experience thus far. Just so I have some flexibility in the future.

Well if you already have US240s its nice to be consistent since they are different color and brightness LEDs anyway.

Yeah the color difference would have been a minus when I was first thinking of putting a 240 and 1130 in same double box. So, that is when I decided to move the 1130 to a different wall. But that wall is where I would want a faceplate with more buttons than the 1130 supports. Now I guess I have that issue solved.

Back