Feature Comparison Elk M1 ISY994i-Newbie Question

Iam74Gibson

Hello all, first I want to apologize ahead of time for asking such a basic newbie question, but I have searched and searched, and cannot find the simple answer/list that I am sure exists somewhere.... I have found plenty of information and my head is swimming from trying to comprehend it all... but here is what I want to know...at least at this point

the Elk m1 gold and the ISY994i seems to be a popular combination in home automation.. But I just watched a video on the Elk system, and it "seems" to do most of the things the ISY does ..... I can understand the Elks importance as the security part of the system, but I am a little confused on what value the ISY99 series adds that the Elk does not do.

I am having a new house built, and I need to ramp up quick in order to do any necessary wiring/prep. The house will be done in about 4 months. So I need to decide what I need fairly quickly

I am not looking at too exotic of a system... I just want to be able to dim lights in my home theater when I start a movie, With my Harmony one OR Harmony 900 remote,(which means I need an IR solution, I understand RF will not work even though the Harmony 900 is RF capable), turn my detached garage lights on from the house, or with my Iphone. maybe dim lights in a couple of other rooms.. and maybe eventually control irrigation and HVAC over my Iphone or the web.

Of course, I want all the security system advantages the Elk has, but the video says it also controls lights, HVAC, etc... so what does the ISY do then? Is the Elk not as robust?

Any info or links to documentation would be greatly appreciated.

P

The Elk will not program your Insteon links, it will just activate them. You will need additional software to do that with the Elk. The ISY does programming and control.
The Elk does not have IR but the ISY has an IR option.
For simple control they are about the same.

If you are going to have multiple controllers, (i.e. a PC with a PLM) in addition to the Elk the links will become very difficult to program on your own such that device status stay in sync. The ISY will solve all those issues.

Back