Food Recipes - Passing time while automating

While building our house and not having a working oven we did a bird on the BBQ.  It was the best and we always intended to do more that way but the convenience gets in the way.

Canadians have already done their Thanksgiving a month ago.

You're making me hungry though.

Yeah; over the years the get together is changing; well as it should or not.

Just relating to the holiday get togethers...

Starting years ago it was immediate family; well parents / siblings.  Then as parents got older went to siblings taking turns....then as sibllings had  children more shifts..... (the siblings of the silblings did turn out even numbers of 2)

With all of the shifting of where went how and when....favorite - best Turkey maker and most space and proximity easy drive thing....for example - unrelated but more a comfort level thing....

The cooking an preparation stuff shifted much to the sisters / wives / grandmas with only very strict direction to the brother-in-laws, grandads etc. 

IE: get this out of the auxillary freezer or refrigerator, purchase this and be back in 10 minutes and carve the turkey with this instrument (well same one used now for 50 years?)

The manner mostly to cook the turkey has been in the oven the day of.

pete_c said:
...and carve the turkey with this instrument (well same one used now for 50 years?)

Ah yes, I've still got my Dad's electric carving knife.  Speaking of which I need to look into either sharpening the blades or getting replacements.  I noticed it's gotten a bit dull when carving some pit beef done on the Egg.  I really should just buy myself a slicer, but it's a big enough one-trick-gizmo as to be a noticeable add-on in the kitchen.  I try to spend my "skeptical looks from the wife" tokens carefully...

Yup; here first cut is using the passed down carving knife; then after a bit it does go to the slicer; usually after the statement "you didn't cut enough for everybody".

The precooked turkey presents itself nicely all precut but as stated; it just doesn't taste the same.

Too; now is whom is cutting the turkey as I have no brothers and two brother in laws here it sort of goes to whomever's house it is that we are cooking the turkey.

Well then too unrelated to turkey cutting is whom sits at the head of the table (well two ends)...as grandad's have passed away.

My Dad was a wizard with that knife.  I do a fair job, but he would manage to get an astounding number of perfectly cut slices out of a bird.  Enough that it didn't matter whose house it was, it was understood he'd bring the knife and do the carving.  

But then times have changed, families are often smaller and not raised facing as many economic extremes.  So it's perhaps less notable getting "enough for everybody" out of the bird.  If someone made that comment to me and they'd get shown the door...  Given how tasty the birds have been I think my invitees know better.

Yeah relating to cutting enough turkey it was sort of me to best guessing and wife best guessing food for 50 with 25 family members present.

Most important though was just the get together; sit down; relaxing of being with family all at once.

This morning's endeavor was the omelet.  Its been some 30 years literally since I have made omelets. 

This was inspired by a movie a few nights back.

The Hundred-foot Journey

http://youtu.be/xNq50seovsw

Very simple receipe; nothing fancy.

- 6 Eggs mixed prior to cooking with about 1oz of milk for about 10 seconds
- 1/2 cup of Ham chopped
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese

Need/looking for a receipe from some 50 years ago.  I never was able to replicate it.  Old neighbor when I was a kid. 

She was old country Spanish and a very charismatic such that she was my second mom in a way many many years ago.

Wondering if her two sons John (West coast today) or Frank (East coast today) know it or learned it.

It was just using eggs covering either chicken or pork and flavored to perfection and a family get together favorite.

pete_c said:
This morning's endeavor was the omelet.  Its been some 30 years literally since I have made omelets. 

This was inspired by a movie a few nights back.

The Hundred-foot Journey

http://youtu.be/xNq50seovsw

Very simple receipe; nothing fancy.

- 6 Eggs mixed prior to cooking with about 1oz of milk for about 10 seconds
- 1/2 cup of Ham chopped
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese

Need/looking for a receipe from some 50 years ago.  I never was able to replicate it.  Old neighbor when I was a kid. 

She was old country Spanish and a very charismatic such that she was my second mom in a way many many years ago.

Wondering if her two sons John (West coast today) or Frank (East coast today) know it or learned it.

It was just using eggs covering either chicken or pork and flavored to perfection and a family get together favorite.
I lived as a bachelor until i was 40 and had to feed myself. My idea of breakfast was to break an egg into a teflon pan and stir it with a fork until cooked which took about fifteen seconds. Throw it on toast with a little catsup, salt and pepper and you're on your way. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Very fast and easy and much healthier than a pop tart.

Mike.

Yup; the video is just a teaser and it is just about the omelet; literally; nothing else in that specific scene.

Here have always liked eggs for breakfast; many times though never had time to cook them.  That said I do like mine way less cooked than my wife likes hers (way more cooked).

For a while in the 70's breakfast here (Chicago) was fast and cheap while living alone; sardines and saltine crackers. 

The variety was sardines in tomato sauce or other fish in tins/jars.  Easy to store / fast to get to in my then desk bookshelf / hutch.

I worked with a guy that would eat sardines at his desk for lunch and I didn't even like to be near enough to smell that stuff. My father would pop open a can and eat it with a slice of bread when I was a kid and it just didn't rub off on me.

Mike.

My idea of breakfast was to break an egg into a teflon pan and stir it with a fork until cooked which took about fifteen seconds. Throw it on toast with a little catsup, salt and pepper and you're on your way. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Very fast and easy and much healthier than a pop tart.

Thank you Mike; I will give it a try here.

Grandma would do eggs and pototoes (I would add ketchup) became a favorite meal in the 60's here.  Not too long ago mentioned that to wife and she made a face to me.  Wierd here I never tasted or tried ketchup or mustard until around 1960.

I recall visiting the EU one summer in the 60's and asking for ketchup (France). The little grocery shop owner in town (Hyères) had to special order it from the UK for me as he had also never heard of it.

pete_c said:
Thank you Mike; I will give it a try here.

Grandma would do eggs and pototoes (I would add ketchup) became a favorite meal in the 60's here.
Oh man that brings back memories. My mother would make the eggs with chunks of potatoes and onion and oil. I haven't even thought of that dish in years, I'll have to see if I can whip it up one of these days.
pete_c said:
  Not too long ago mentioned that to wife and she made a face to me.  Wierd here I never tasted or tried ketchup or mustard until around 1960.

I recall visiting the EU one summer in the 60's and asking for ketchup (France). The little grocery shop owner in town (Hyeres) had to special order it from the UK for me as he had also never heard of it.

As for the ketchup I was a bachelor and not too fussy eating. I got the idea of the broken eggs and ketchup from a greasy spoon restaurant that was across from the shop that I worked in in the seventies. They served it on a toasted roll and it was pretty good.

Does anyone here use a wood pellet fired grill? I've had a Traeger for about ten years now and love it. Their slogan is "Taste the difference" and it is really true. The wood imparts a flavor to everything. You can slow cook a brisket, do great ribs in a few hours and even use it as a convection oven at up to ~375 degrees.

I dared to do a standing rib roast for company of six on Christmas a few years back and it was out of this world tasty and juicy.

Mike.

Back