Free web accessable thermostats from NV Energy

rrockoff

Note: I did a search for this topic and didn't find any hits. I apologize in advance if someone has already discussed it.

I live in Las Vegas, and just signed up for a program from the power company to replace my standard thermostats with web enabled thermostats for FREE. They will also give me a reduction in my bill for using their thermostats. The only catch is, that they can send a signal to my thermostat to make it 4 degrees warmer during peak periods over the summer. I can opt out of energy saving part if I want, and still keep the thermostats. I am scheduled for an installation on 2/21/09. I will report back my findings. Here is a link for the details:

http://www.coolshareprogram.com/?site=res&page=overview

Questions:
- Is there anyone out there using this type of system? If so, do you like it?
- It has a two way web interface. I can only assume that I can tie into it with home automation. Has anyone already done this?

Best Regards,

Rod

This kind of arrangement is a tad intrusive and a bit too cozy for my taste. I will be among the holdouts, and perhaps among the saboteurs, when they make this mandatory. There are many ways to manage your HVAC -- stand-alone, bundled, or integrated with your HA system -- all without the electric company (first) and the government (second) in your knickers.

It sounds like a newer 'high tech' version of FPL's on-call program. That program simply toggles things on/off and works on AC, Hot water and pool pump. I've had in in various forms for 20 years. I have never really even noticed when its on and yet I save $ on each and every bill whether they shut things off or not. If they are just raising your temp for a short bit at a time then you will probably never notice either. Just make sure its not an extended thing where it can go for hours at a time.

Are there any external interfaces to this stat that can be used to integrate this with a home automation system?

Back