Future of Elk M1

Well having just purchased an M1 this week and a healthy amount of addons, I'm hoping that any major hardware updates are a still a little ways off. Well at least my wallet hopes so. Though I will be excited to see what elk comes out with next and how that may help me implement some of the ideas I have.

The next M1 family hardware versions are completely compatible with existing hardware.

Spanky,

Any chance you could give us a little hint about how far off the next generation might be?

A month, a year, ten years?

Thank's
Brian

The next M1 family hardware versions are completely compatible with existing hardware.

Spanky,

Any chance you could give us a little hint about how far off the next generation might be?

A month, a year, ten years?

Thank's
Brian
And a hint of potential new features / abilities would be teasing, yet cool to think about....

BDHall,
Feature changes in the M1 family are software based, so upgrading the software allows all M1's to upgrade no matter what hardware version you have.

Next M1 software upgrade is looking like February. We are in the in house testing phase now.

BDHall,
Feature changes in the M1 family are software based, so upgrading the software allows all M1's to upgrade no matter what hardware version you have.

Next M1 software upgrade is looking like February. We are in the in house testing phase now.

Spanky,

Thanks for the response.

It is good to here that there is a new software update around the corner.

My M1G has been rock solid, but I always look forward to the updates.

I was curious about the hardware side, from a comment you made a few posts back. Memory constraints has been mentioned in the past as a problem with bringing out additional features. I was wondering if there was anything in the works that would allow additions to the language for more options when writing rules, etc.

Thanks for a great product and for all your support on this board.

Brian

BDHall,

As relates to what ELK is up to, also consider this.....
The owner of the ELk factory in Hildebran NC is also the owner of the building that GE uses in Hickory NC to produce many of their security and camera products today. Spanky was one of the first Engineers in the United states to create solid state alarm systems (the Moose line). Elk has both bulk and time in grade. They are very well managed and funded. And they have led the pack in a number of manufacturing ways covering more products than I can count.

I have had the privaledge to work with Spanky and his team for quite a few years and assure you that even during this time of tight economics, I would buy their stock if they were not privately held.

FEAR NOT! While new things are certainly on the way, compatibility with yesterday's products will always be a prime focus as well!

The features race between ELK and HAI has seen each one counter the other with new product releases and strategic alliances. Saying who is in front at any one given time is impossible. Just like the features war between plasma and LCD changes leaders almost monthly, so does the features battle between HAI and ELK.

I will admit that I am a fan of both HAI and Elk. The decision of which one to choose and for what reasons should be based on product features alone. Do not base your decision on fear of where Elk will be in the future. I'll bet the farm that both them and HAI will be at the head of the pack with a whole lot of other manufacturers bringing up the rear.

Click here to see a features comparison we did between ELk, HAI and OnQ HMS (HMS is no longer available).

Tony Stewart - President SETNETPRO.COM

Thanks Tony.

In the early days of the M1, ELK released a version called the M1 Standard for a short time. It was a M1 with a reduced functionality and less expensive than the M1 Gold. A decision was made to not make the M1 Standard anymore, so Elk has a standing offer to anyone with a M1 Standard to return it to Elk and it will be turned into a M1 Gold for free. Even today the software upgrades still support the M1 Standard.

When someone asks what is in the works and when will it be delivered, I have to do a quick tap dance off stage. When I start answering, you can know it is about to deliver.

Will there be an "M2" or upgraded hardware version at any time?

I imagine that you'll know shortly before it's available for purchase. I'm sure that Elk knows, as so do many other vendors, the result of spilling the beans way to early. Google the Osborne Computer demise if you are not aware of what happens when information about a future product is available to far in advance. Essentially the Osborne 1 was selling extremely well, but due to the release of the new IBM PC and also the competing Kaypro II, somehow information on the forth comming (but not yet in production/shipping) Osborne Executive. Unfortunately with customers holding off for the Osborne Executive, vendors began cancelling additional orders of the Osborne 1 yet a very large inventory still existed of the older Osborne 1. Even slashing the price of the Osborne 1 from $1995 to eventually $900 generated almost absolutely no orders. Who'd want the old Osborne 1 when the new "Executive" would have so much more!

So Osborne was the most interesting computer vendor story, growing stellarly and then failing in little less than three years.

Personally I enjoy my Elk M1G very much and want Elk Products, Inc to continue to succeed and innovate. And understanding the lesson of "spilling the beans" too early, I'm more than willing to hear about product information only shortly before it's available for purchase.

I don't see the Elk M1G changing very much in the future. Sure there will be more
support of other devices and the way the M1G was designed the interfaces can be
added easily. It already has Internet access and LCD screen controls.

The only additions might be more memory so you can add more rules to the automation.
I have 100 rules and have about 40% of the memory left, so I should be good for a while.

One feature that would be nice would be the ability to wireless transmit temps. I would
like to read the temp of my pool and spa, but how the yard is constructed I can't run
any wires without removing a large amount of concrete decking. The M1G can read temps
but a wire is needed.

The M1G's well thought out design will prove is worth as time goes on. It is very flexible and adding
new devices and features is simple.

Cliffs

ELK is here and we are working our buns off on new software and products.

The future looks very bright! :)

It wouldn't hurt to do some periodic releases with minor but widely requested enhancements instead of waiting sooooo long between releases..... Some of the best products have died because of marketing and perception. In my opinion you either need more project people or a shorter, narrower list of objectives. I like your product but things are too quiet these days.

Thanks Tony.

In the early days of the M1, ELK released a version called the M1 Standard for a short time. It was a M1 with a reduced functionality and less expensive than the M1 Gold. A decision was made to not make the M1 Standard anymore, so Elk has a standing offer to anyone with a M1 Standard to return it to Elk and it will be turned into a M1 Gold for free. Even today the software upgrades still support the M1 Standard.

Hearing this make me think that I am on another planet. It is almost unheard of to see a manufacturer support their product in this way. This is good to see that maybe someday the M1 could have this type of upgrade support, even if it wasn't free.

FYI:
In a couple weeks there will be a new M1 software upgrade, version 4.5.14 and 5.1.14. It has been released to beta testers.

Elk/Spanky,

I don't really want to resurrect this thread. But I also want to remind you that there are still some outstanding M1 features that were described over a year ago and do not seem to be part of the plan. I sold someone on a M1 based on the idea of audio automation from M1 rules ... still waiting for a final YES/NO on this feature. Thanks!

Elk/Spanky,

I don't really want to resurrect this thread. But I also want to remind you that there are still some outstanding M1 features that were described over a year ago and do not seem to be part of the plan. I sold someone on a M1 based on the idea of audio automation from M1 rules ... still waiting for a final YES/NO on this feature. Thanks!
What plan :hesaid:

Back