Gamerooms

Chakara

My wife and I have agreed to turn our small den into a game room. Space constraints are going to prevent a pool table (I refuse to have to use a shortie!)

So, for right now we are considering a multifunction table of some sort. My requirement is it must have a GOOD foosball or bumperpool. Of course “good†is subject to interpretation so time will tell.

I have already foolishly gone off and bought an antique slot machine. More on that to follow after it gets here.

All that aside, do we have pinball, slot, panchinco (sp?), or other coin operated machine fanatics here? What about neon and/or other 'gameroom' type of things?

I have an antique pinball machine that I am close to getting working as intended. This is pre any solid state and uses all relays. I can't remember how many relay contacts I have cleaned up! Nice change from software though.

On the other end of the spectrum, I also built an Arcade cabinet where I run a Dell 933 w/RDRAM (had it laying around) that is a Mame game machine (XArcade console sticks), is a media PC (mp3, TV, DVD), and a control PC (MainLobby > Homeseer > everything else). I am still looking for a large monitor to put in it to finish it up. I think my desktop 21 inch might get upgraded to one or two LCDs for my desk, so the 21 might find it's way into the Arcade cabinet.
If space is consideration, look into this as you get a ton of games and other things you can use it for out of the same space. Keep in mind you can also use it as a TV to watch the Game for when you are playing foosball. I remember someone posting a thread on this forum on a real neat small footprint arcade cabinet design. Use Search. Mine is kinda large as I wanted to put a big monitor in it (not LCD).

We also have a pool table and dartboard in the game room. Dartboard doesn't take up much room. I mounted it on a corkboard for the misses (both in darts and in matrimony).

Just had a party last night and it all got some good use.

Adams Family is a great pinball for sure. I've pour a bit of cash into them over the years!

A Mame machine is on the list. I remember that thread with the cool/small format mame console.

The room is going to end up kinda 50's diner decor and it's going to be a fun project.

Do you guys think it would be worth having a "Gameroom" forum here at CT? I'd love to find a way to bring together this community in a way that makes since. If there is already an established CT like community I've been unable to find it.

Anyone into Nascar Racing 2003 Season?
We have a group of 12 that would welcome more racers!
We race Sunday Mornings.

But some of us could us ( OK.....ME ) could use a little more practice runs during the week !!!

hint....hint ...... B)

I am in the process of building an arcarde. Unfortunately the 17" LCD that I wanted to use with it doesn't seem to have the right drivers. I have a 15" LCD that works perfectly but is a bit small.

I have also heard that LCDs aren't the top choice for an arcade cabinet either, but space is an issue.

GadgetBoy said:
I am in the process of building an arcarde. Unfortunately the 17" LCD that I wanted to use with it doesn't seem to have the right drivers. I have a 15" LCD that works perfectly but is a bit small.

I have also heard that LCDs aren't the top choice for an arcade cabinet either, but space is an issue.
Just get an LCD with very very low ms rating and you'll be fine. The 20ms+ LCD screen suck for video games.

LCD is amazing with gaming... If you have a fast refresh rate. 16ms or less. I use an Acer 19" and it is awesome!

get a pachinko machine. it wont take up much space, its a good deal of fun, AND its a great conversation starter.

Back