Garage door opener programming problem

Mike P

Hi,
I hope this is the correct forum for this post. I need help. My wife just got a new car, Lexus Is250 replacing her former Is250. It has Homelink built in, just the same as her last one. I can't get it to work with our Genie garage door opener. Has anybody had this combination and had the same problem? Her old car set-up no problem, but I can not get this one to work :angry2: I have tried everything. The funny thing is, I could never get her garage door to work on my Toyota 4Runner either. After several hours of trying, I tried to program my sons older Honda Accord's Homelink to that opener and it worked fine the first try :excl: . I do have a third garage door that does not have an opener on it yet, so I was thinking of buying an new one for my wife an moving hers to the third door. But I figured I would give a shout out here to see if im missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I can't remember the procedure exactly, but the key is something like; use the remote to teach your car (probably what your instructions tell you). Then once that is learned, go to your garage door opener and learn the "new remote", which is your car. That is what works for my Dodge and Jeep vehicles...

Mike,

Just something from the top of my head...your opener might have limited number of links (some Genie models have only seven), so try resetting it and re-learning all your remotes/Homelinks again.

I recently helped someone program their 5 cars and some remotes - a BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Lexus and GMC... and I can tell you that every one had slightly different programming procedures - each a little different. Some learned directly to the GDO, some had to learn the remote then learn to the GDO after; some just learn the remote directly. And a newer GMC was different than a GMC from 5 years ago (I tried programming theirs the way I do mine before finally checking the manual). Some required the key on, some off; and different procedures for each.

There are also two very similar systems - one is HomeLink and one is Car2U - so even though they look nearly identical, they're different.

Try this - check the manual for clearing the existing buttons on the car back to all blank - then follow the instructions for the garage door opener. Most likely they'll say something like - press the learn button on the opener, then press the remote - and you'll see the lights flash when they sync. If that directly doesn't work, try programming the car to learn the existing handheld remote - you should see it take the programming - but, it still won't work... but, now follow the original process of the learn button on the opener then just press & hold the button you previously learned to the handheld remote - this time it will hopefully go. Also sometimes continuously holding the button doesn't do it either - sometimes you have to press, release, press. Keep in mind the buttons on the car aren't quick momentary buttons - you have to make a pronounced press for it to register - almost a full second.

Good luck! I find it unlikely you'd have to replace the opener - just gotta figure out the magic combination.

I did forget to mention, I programmed her car for my opener and it worked fine the first try.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Lexus is250 2011 Genie Excelerator opener. She is getting a little upset that she can't open the door. My butts on the line here. I tried again today, car on car off. Reset the opener and car tried again in all different combinations, nothing. I know there is some small thing I am missing. But like I said, I programmed it to my opener first try with no problem. I should add that my opener is about two years older than hers, maybe three.

Hey Mike P,

I'm not sure if you ever solved your problem... but if not - if for some reason the garage door opener is truely not compatible with the car, I wanted to mention this product to you:
http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Dalton-WDRR-372R-Garage-Conversion-Module/dp/B001HL5HOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303622343&sr=8-1

I've installed a few of them - they're compatible with all the HomeLink and Car2U setups - I even used some in the install I referenced above with the 5 different cars... they're a very nice little unit. Basically it's a simple one-piece design (plug and all - and very compact). Typically where your garage door opener plugs in, there's a free outlet - you just plug this in there and that's where it lives - and they include some wire that you run down to the terminals where the wall switch lives. Program the car to use that instead and you should be fine. To ease programming, I plug 'em into an extension cord and take them right into the car with me for programming - then once programmed I install and connect them.

In the very near future I'll be doing a how-to article on using it for other things like integrating your unused HomeLink buttons into your HA system... it really is a handy device!

Try one more thing I work on these things all the time. I am a garage tech. I always erase all the codes on the home link. I have found that it makes programing alot easier. I am not sure why this works sometimes. I have in a rare instances have had home links not program in openers. The Car2U is a horrible system. I have had to work on customers Car2u systems sometimes for over and hour to get them to program in. From what i can tell you is it should work with the Genie op. If it is the home link program trans to car and then the car into the opener with the learn button on the op. if its the Car2u then push the program button on the op then run the program sequence in the car. You only have 30 seconds front the time you hit the learn button to get to the car. I recommend using a friend if its the car2u system. That way it has time to run though all the frequency's.

1. If you are programming it for the first time press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons for about 20 seconds and release then the HomeLink button flashes
2. Hold the remote garage door opener 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink buttons

3. Simultaneously press the HomeLink button you want to open the garage door and the button on the remote garage door opener until garage door open, then notice the Homelink flashing light flashes rapidly.

4. Wait till the lights went off for 15 seconds. Try it to see if it working.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help, but I'm sure the problem is with the opener. I can program her car to open my opener with no problem. I'm just going to buy a new one and move hers to the third door(future wood shop). If anybody has any other tricks, I'll give them a try.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike P - I offered an inexpensive trick in post # 11; it's probably way easier to plug that $28 thing in above the opener than to have to move the thing. They're simple and work great.

Back