Garage Motion Sensor

trmitche

I've put an ITI outdoor wireless motion sensor in my garage, which is in my entry path. I've got it set to burglar entry/exit 2. This works great when I'm coming home. However, I would like to get some extra protection in the garage while I'm at home, by having this PIR trigger an instant alarm when armed in either of the instant modes. I thought I could accomplish this by writing a rule, but there is apparently no THEN statement to trigger the burglar alarm? All I'm trying to do is:

WHENEVER Garage motion sensor becomes not secure:
AND Area 1 is armed stay instant (and another rule for night instant)
THEN TRIGGER THE NORMAL BURGLAR ALARM PROCESS

I want to leave the zone setup as entry/exit 2 if at all possible to still allow the delay when coming home. Is this feasible?

Also, it seems that this PIR will not detect the garage overhead door being opened, or the cars pulling in, but it will detect me as soon as I get out of the car (or even stick one hand out of the window) I assume this is because a PIR detects body heat, but it's 99 degrees in the garage right now, so,,,,,I don't get that.

Thanks for any help on either of these questions.

I think I may have answered my own question - being armed in any instant mode should mean that a violation at this entry 2 sensor will trigger the alarm with no delay. I was getting confused since this is a motion sensor that would normally be set to one of the "interior" modes, causing it to be inactive in any non-away mode.

My question on the garage temp still stands, and I would still like to know why there is no THEN statement to trigger an alarm (maybe I overlooked it?).

Might be different with your alarm but with mine, even if I arm with "stay", its not an instant arm. If, with a "stay", one of the entry zones is triggered it automatically arms as "away". If no triggers, it arms as "stay" after the entry/exit delay.
Even though the alarm shows an instant stay arm, it still monitors for and entry zone trigger and arms accordingly.

I am still stumped why it detects you and not the car as the car gives off more heat than you do (if its related to detecting body heat as you mention. Maybe it only senses around 100 degrees?)

I am still stumped why it detects you and not the car as the car gives off more heat than you do (if its related to detecting body heat as you mention. Maybe it only senses around 100 degrees?)

Let me clarify that: it did not detect the cars in test mode when the cars were COLD. (entered test mode, started car, backed out, pulled back in, etc.) but I have not tried it with the engine hot - maybe Ill check that out tonight.

And Frumple, in my case (Elk M1G), any instant mode removes entry/exit delays timers entirely.

Thanks for both replies - any further insight appreciated.

Back