gate monitoring

RAKY0311

I working in the installation of my M1 and I want to monitoring my front gate,I going to install a motion sensor but I prefeer to monitor with a sensor too the gate are 50' from the panel,what kind of sensor I can use?,wiring is not a problem but I need some ideas in what sensor use
excuse my english please!

I would go for a magnetic reed switch (rated for outdoor use), and maybe one of those IR beam setups.

Magnetic reed switches is what you usually use when you want to have your alarm system monitor your doors and windows. The one Rupp posted is probably the best choice for outdoor use.

Is the gate metal? If its a metal gate I would use the fence as part of the circuit and when the metal latch is locked it would complete the circuit and provide the gate closed signal to what ever monitoring device i was using. This way no wires are in sight.

If its one of those plastic hollow tube gates i would use the magnetic read switch. I might use this aproach with a wooden fence also.

Instead of monitoring the gate i would find it much more cool to monitor the walkway. Maybe putting optical sensor along the walk way every few feet and have hs announce or display on a screen the position of the person walking. I guess if the purpose is to keep the dog in the fence and make sure he doesnt get out then the walk way would not work well.

Sounds like it is within range of some of the alarm wireless sensors. Why not put a sensor on it for that and monitor the alarm system?

Is the gate metal? If its a metal gate I would use the fence as part of the circuit and when the metal latch is locked it would complete the circuit and provide the gate closed signal to what ever monitoring device i was using. This way no wires are in sight.

Bad idea. I tried something like this once, and unless you have a VERY tight fitting gate, and a way to prevent rust at the point the parts meet, you are asking for trouble. Once things start to rust, the contact becomes intermittent. Or, if the fit isn't tight, everytime the wind blows the circuit gets broken.

From alarm speaker "Gate open", "gate closed", "gate open", "gate closed", "gate open", "gate closed", "gate open", "gate closed", "gate open", "gate closed", "gate open", "gate closed", BAM! (sound of SO shooting alarm console). :lol:

Back