GE 45609 switch (z-wave) wiring Question

MrBOFH

Hi,

New to the forums and the whole home automation kick. But it's definately addicting. :) I got introduced early this year when Radio Shack clearanced out a lot of stuff. Bought a house and now the temps are going down, I'm working on installing stuff, All doors now have z-wave Schlage locks or deadbolts, I installed a number of GE dimmers and several lamp modules. A Trane z-wave thermostat just came in and will be the next thing to be installed.

RIght now I'm using a remote control only. I'm definitely not forking over $12 a month to Schlage for their subscription. Debating whether to go MiCasaVerde Vera 2 box or the Homeseer software.

I've run into a problem installing a wall switch. My house was built in '72 and all I have in the box are a hot(line), a load and ground wire. Unfortunately the GE/Jasco 45609 also seems to also require a neutral wire. Spending $$$ to have an electrician run new wiring to make a neutral available is unfortunately not an option. I tried jumpering the load and neutral connectiors on the switch itself and this allows the switch to power up. However, it switches the connected CFL lights on and immediately back off when tapped.

Does anybody have a simple solution for this or am I just out of luck? I wanted to install switches as they need to control CFL's. The GE dimmers don't have this problem as they only require hot, load and ground. But will not work with CFL's

To run lights, small appliances, thermostat and locks, would the MiCasaVerde Vera 2 be enough? The Homeseer software looks interesting but at $500 for just the software it's a bid steep for my budget.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Update: I located the neutral. Whoever wired this box, pushed it back out were the whole wire came in. Not sure if it was on purpose,a fluke or the previous home owner being an idiot. Took some delicate work and a fair amount of 4 letter words but I was able to fish it back into the box. Connected it all up and the switch is working beautifully.

The wiring in the house is pretty solid otherwise with 12AWG all throughout. Just the breakers are arranged a bit funky. Like the front hall light is on the same circuit as the master bedroom on the other side of the house. But it's wired pretty decent in all other locations with neutrals in every box. Once I hooked up teh other switch for the outside light and a neutral was readily available, I started to wonder and went in the problem one with a led pencil light.

Although the GE 45609 doesn't specifically state CFL, Jasco's website states ' hard-wired incandescent, LED, xenon, halogen and fluorescent lighting'. Both the ones I installed drive CFL's and seem to work fine with them. One of the GE dimmers drives a dimmable ecosmart CFL and seems to do well with that as well.

Now all I need is a cool saturday morning so I can flip the breaker on the AC unit and install a Trane z-wave thermostat.

Hoping MiCasaVerde soon has another discount or MIR on the Vera to make it a bit sweeter...

Back