Generator questions

[I have this unit also. We installed a 500 gallon buried tank, which I believe ran about $1000. I also use the LP for fireplaces and an on demand hot water heater. No power outages yet.

Brian

Good to know, I didn't think about the buried route after I had all sorts of problems looking at doing a buried 1000 gallon oil tank. Insurance companies apparently do not like that and (probably rightfully so) wanted all sorts of leak detection systems which made it more of a project than I wanted to take on.

For gas though, I guess it would be different. 500 gallons sounds like a reasonable amount, what kind of run time would that give you? The price seems a bit more reasonable (versus over $10k just to start talking about putting gas in).

I moved on from that project but good to know as I would not mind having a standby generator at some point in the future.

I bought a 2500W portable 10 years ago after a series of power outages. I found it to be extremely effective; it stopped the outages. I ran it when I first brought it home to confirm it would run the load I planned for. Since then, I've only run it annually just to make sure it still starts. And it always starts on the first pull.

I bought a 2500W portable 10 years ago after a series of power outages. I found it to be extremely effective; it stopped the outages. I ran it when I first brought it home to confirm it would run the load I planned for. Since then, I've only run it annually just to make sure it still starts. And it always starts on the first pull.

Have no fear, Murpy says that your spark plugs will go bad 4hrs before your next extended outtage! :lol:

I live in the sticks and natural gas is still 3 houses away (if I want to, I can make my other two neighbors happy by paying for this line to be extended past their driveways too :lol: ) Actually, I have my whole driveway (800ft) ripped up right now and Wished that the utility company would allow me to put a natural gas line in while I have it all open...
Not sure how the rules are in MI, but here in WV the customer owns the service line from the meter. So there should be no reason you couldn't put in the service line while the driveway is ripped up.

Herdfan,
This line is the supply line to the meter. Not post meter (which I have done lots too on my own already including piping for the generator). Detroit Edison like most utility companys, is just a pain to coordinate with. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow as I probably won't be filling the trench until next weekend.

Good to know, I didn't think about the buried route after I had all sorts of problems looking at doing a buried 1000 gallon oil tank. Insurance companies apparently do not like that and (probably rightfully so) wanted all sorts of leak detection systems which made it more of a project than I wanted to take on.

For gas though, I guess it would be different. 500 gallons sounds like a reasonable amount, what kind of run time would that give you? The price seems a bit more reasonable (versus over $10k just to start talking about putting gas in).

I moved on from that project but good to know as I would not mind having a standby generator at some point in the future.

The specs say 1.6 to 2.5 gallons per hour @ 50% and 100% respectively. That's 200~300 hours run time for 500 gallons. I believe they only fill LP to 80~90% though.

Brian

Back