Getting Nervous!

Also, you will be installing a PC with moving parts. Have they shoped for a PC without moving parts? The PC is bound to fail at some point. I would recommend that you setup some sort of remote access for technical support. I know not many people would like that idea because it gives you access to their home but if someone who does not have a clue is moving in the builder is not going to know how to fix it right? And you are not going to take a trip there every time. Just know that the system WILL fail and have a plan in place to work on it remotely if possible.

I have never used HAL so I can not comment on it. If you use HomeSeer then I would use it with out any plug-ins. Thats about the only way it is stable. Use electrons script for elk support and maybe use the VR but I would not attempt anything too great.

I know not many people would like that idea because it gives you access to their home but if someone who does not have a clue is moving in the builder is not going to know how to fix it right?

Assuming the network connection is working, and the PC is running XP, the built in remote assistance tool could be used (assuming you are willing to go for the support). I've used this with people needing help that were out of state. They control the access so if they need help, they send you a request.

Need to also keep in mind firewall issues as well.

Does not help you with hard drive failures or other 'local issues' though. And if the network connection isn't working you will have a problem.

logmein.com will help with the firewall issue, no port forwarding will be needed, and he will be able to manage the system remotely. It looks like he is pretty much stuck with the decisions others have made already. If you need to stick with x10, I would recommend the Lightolier hardware, it's incredibly reliable, and offers some nice features.

Yep, he is pretty much stuck, just figured I would post that recommendation in case anyone else is in a similar situation, but has more flexibility.

Can't the "contract" stipulate that call backs are extra? This seems to be where the actual money is made. Monthly checkups and call backs?

Lots of advice in this thread, but it sounds like in the end Brian is just a consultant for this job so won't be liable for call backs?

If he's not able to influence their decisions, this may lead to more billable time down the road for sorting the stuff out or replacing it with something that works?

Brian - Sounds like your not even geographically at this location... are you handling meetings by phone and some programming/set done via remote access?

Cheers,
Paul

AutomatedOutlet said:
What are you going to have the PC doing that you can't do in the Elk?
Martin,

I'll be picking up an M1 soon to play with and test but there are lots of things in my HA setup that still can't be done using the Elk alone:

*TTS announcements... yeah the Elk can talk from the library and tell me the temp or if a door is open, but PC based TTS is an important part of my system. Personalized greeting based on date and who is home or not home provide reminders and status of lots of stuff like weather conditions, who is calling, etc.

*RFID - So much of my HA system now relies on iAutomate RFID that I would be lost without it.

*VR - I've got a really sophisticated whole house mic installation that can cancel noise and also sound from sources such as background music and the TV. The Mic gate status is tracked so HS knows which room someone is speaking from and can adjust devices in that rooom with simple VR commands like "lights on" intead of having to say "kitchen lights on", etc.

A subset of VR is the phone based VR possible with HS & HAL... I don't use this much, but when I do it works and is more intuitive than having to remember number codes to punch in as the Elk requires.

*IR Control

*Integration with contol of home stereo/theater gear or Media Player, etc for playback of MP3's

*Email notification - Maybe the Elk can do this with the Ethernet module?

To sum it up, the Elk can make sure the doors are locked and the lights are out when you arm the system on your way out the door.

With HomeSeer in my setup, I can just walk out the door (with my RFID tag) knowing that if no one else is home the HA system will arm the security system, lock the doors, turn out the lights, make sure the TV is off, the music is stopped, etc. It provides another whole level of convienence at the cost of additional complexity.

I'm have over 60hrs invested in trying to convert my HS v1.7 system to HS2 and have now backtracked to my v1.7 system. Like Rupp (but not as vocal) I'm a big fan of HS and am certiain the problems with HS2 will be worked out in the near future. I feel my problems are trying to upgrade a complex system and expect that a new install starting with HS2 would be much more successful.

Having said all that, most of what I use HS for is not something that I would install or try to support for a customer. I'm just getting started with the business, but planning the installs to be based around an M1, maybe branching out to add PC funtionality ontop of this for some more complex installs? If this is the case, it will probably be the HST Pro-100 which runs imbedded XP on solid state drives.

If I could get iAutomate RFID capability added to the Elk, I think I could sell a lot of this stuff!

Cheers,
Paul

The Elk M1 can do both IR (Ocelot) and Email (Ethernet module), so you will be ok there :eek: But I do agree that the PC won't be going away if you want nice TTS, RFID, and some of the other nice HA toys out there. I can't wait to implement RFID someday (need a solution which works with more than just HS).

Now if Brian would respond to this thread ... :p

Electron - I didn't consider using the Ocleot connected to the Elk for IR... I guess I've missed the compatibility while researching. Does seem a little over kill to connect one controller to another for IR. Maybe Elk will consider an IR Module in the future?

markthomas - I agree that it should be possible to pair RFID with the Elk... I've already voiced my request with Peter at iAutomate & David Steele at Elk.

I'm not certain of the demand for this, but I think it would make a killer pairing!!!

Cheers,
Paul

Steve said:
You really should consider hardwire for future homes, it is the most reliable you can get.
Steve,

My brother is still designing his new house. Can you expand a little on the hardwired options? What is available out there? All what I see in the automation sites are wither PLC or z-wave, or some branded devices, but I have always disregarded the branded devices as proprietary and expensive.

Are there open hardwire options? I mean, something that can be managed from an M1? How do they work, via voltage signals?

Are they cost effective compared to the next most reliable option (UPB)?

What brands/lines should I look for?

With so many people asking here about their new constructions, its curious that I dont see much about hardwire lightning here in Cocoontech.

pkoslow said:
I'm not certain of the demand for this, but I think it would make a killer pairing!!!

Cheers,
Paul
I agree. However at this point the price of the iAutomation RFIDs is too high as for reaching critical mass demand. Part of the popularity of the M1 is because of its price. And at 299 each reader, they seems to be at a higher price point compared to the M1.

pkoslow said:
Electron - I didn't consider using the Ocleot connected to the Elk for IR... I guess I've missed the compatibility while researching. Does seem a little over kill to connect one controller to another for IR. Maybe Elk will consider an IR Module in the future?
I think the Global Cache GC-100 would be a great match. It has three independent zoned IR outputs, serial interface, AND TCP/IP interface w/ built-in browser. It's not a controller itself--it's designed to be driven by a controller.

However, price-wise, it's in the same range as the Ocelot.

Elcano,

I am far from an expert on hardwire lighting control. I just know that it is virtually 100% reliable. It is essentially its own dedicated network with no noise, interference, etc.

Have a look at THIS thread. There are a few different choices. I'm sure Martin or someone else can give you more specifics. Here are some of the manufacturer links... Centralite, OnQ.

You may also get something from the M1XSP manual.

Back