Getting started with Elk

jms5180

This will be my first home automation equipment.

Will be going wireless for nearly everything. I'm pretty lost with that I need. I'm looking to secure a garage door. 2 general outdoor doors. 3 windows, and 2 glass sliding doors to start with. 

I wired my house for everything else but security (doh) and so I will be using wireless.

I'm assuming ELK is the way to go, I eventually have plans for distributed AV/thermostat/security but probably not much else 

you're  not too far behind me.  I picked the ademco-compatible RF receiver for the elk because it supports more wireless zones than the GE/Caddx-compatible receiver.

While the 5800PIR-RES ademco wireless motion detectors will work for motion on loop1, the Elk wont pick up tamper alerts from them. (this device isnt "officially" supported. At least not now.) 5890s (these are older motion PIRs that require TWO cr123 batteries) send tamper on loop2. The resolution products' PIR sends tamper on loop3 because it has external contacts for loop2. (these last ones arent officially supported either but they seem to work for me, though I havent tested their external contacts yet)

Install your keypad near the door so you can use the  keypdad's single zone input for a door switch so you can set your PIR that monitors that door as a follower with delay if the door opens before it detects motion.

Be very careful and examine carefully the PIR's detection zone when determing where to mount.  You can have holes if you arent careful.

Not sure where you're at but if it gets too cold in your garage you will need to check the temperature operating range of the PIR you plan to use in there

opticalc said:
you're  not too far behind me.  I picked the ademco-compatible RF receiver for the elk because it supports more wireless zones than the GE/Caddx-compatible receiver.

While the 5800PIR-RES ademco wireless motion detectors will work for motion on loop1, the Elk wont pick up tamper alerts from them. (this device isnt "officially" supported. At least not now.) 5890s (these are older motion PIRs that require TWO cr123 batteries) send tamper on loop2. The resolution products' PIR sends tamper on loop3 because it has external contacts for loop2. (these last ones arent officially supported either but they seem to work for me, though I havent tested their external contacts yet)

Install your keypad near the door so you can use the  keypdad's single zone input for a door switch so you can set your PIR that monitors that door as a follower with delay if the door opens before it detects motion.

Be very careful and examine carefully the PIR's detection zone when determing where to mount.  You can have holes if you arent careful.

Not sure where you're at but if it gets too cold in your garage you will need to check the temperature operating range of the PIR you plan to use in there
Thanks for the info. I think I'm looking at about 3 motion detectors and 4 door detectors and 3 window detectors. Would like to get this done as simply and cheaply as possible while leaving myself some room to expand. Need security now for peace of mind

The statement regarding the amount of devices the GE vs. Honeywell compatible units support is false. It used to be true when you were forced to use GE's 548E receiver (48 points) but with the RF2H and RFEG, they are equivalent.

The use of the 548E receiver has been sunsetted in terms of M1 firmware updates.

Back