Getting Started With One-Wire

BraveSirRobbin

Hi Eric;

Per our conversation in THIS thread I'm ready to order the parts shown in the pic below (along with THIS six channel hub).

Before I do so it is really important to me to get the data into HomeSeer devices so I'm going to post here in the hopes that someone has recently interfaced your boards with HS (and I'm still using version 1.7)! :)

Oh yea, now would be a VERY good time to offer a CocoonTech special ;) :D !

Regards,

BSR

Attachments

• initial_order.jpg
    initial_order.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 131
I edited my post above to include this six channel hub which was left out of the pic.

I'm assuming Michael McSharry's MCS plugin will work with multiple temp sensors and the wind instrument.

In order to use the MasterHub with HomeSeer, you will need to use xap, at least that's what I discovered when I put in my 1wire network earlier this year. (msctemp doesn't support the MasterHub)

You'll need an xap hub (I use xapmcshub) and xapmcs1wire. Both of these are downloadable from Michael McSharry's forum on the HomeSeer site. HS devices are populated with values and are configurable to your needs.

Install was not as intuitive for me, since I was new to xap, but it's very doable and it works very well.

If I can do it, you sure can!

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm, may just bag this idea as I don't want to introduce XAP into my very stable system. Not saying anything is wrong with XAP, I just don't feel adventurous enough to introduce a new protocol to my HomeSeer server.

BSR, I have a setup similar to what you want to set up. I have the 1-wire weather station and a couple of other 1-wire temperature and humidity sensors connected to my HS setup with a DS9097U serial adapter. I then use a program called WServer (http://www.henriksens.net) that has a webserver built in. I use a script to query it's built in XML page periodically and parse out the needed info. This all runs quite well and I found that WServer uses much less resources than other programs that can access the 1-wire devices.

BSR,

I have used XAP and XPL and they both seem very stable and use very few resources so they shouldn't add any instability to your system, but I can understand not changing something that is working.

Like was mentioned above you can bag the Hub and just use a Serial Adaptor, you would just need to wire everything up in a daisy-chain fashion instead of a star.

Eric

Hi BSR

I use xPL and some of the xAP developers are Homeseer Users and i havent heard of any stability issues.........

Frank

mwhistle said:
In order to use the MasterHub with HomeSeer, you will need to use xap, at least that's what I discovered when I put in my 1wire network earlier this year. (msctemp doesn't support the MasterHub)

You'll need an xap hub (I use xapmcshub) and xapmcs1wire.
Thanks for the replies. So mwhistle, I take it that I just download xapmcshub and xapmcs1wire from HERE? What about the xap file itself (top sticky in that forum)?

The instructions are not all that clear. I take it that I need to run both programs you referenced in my HomeSeer server and that will get the data from the one wire hub to HomeSeer devices?

So I take it that by using the hub I can NOT use the mcsTemp plotting features?

Thanks again for the reply. I guess I can always back up my configuration if I decide to go back to my original configuration.

Wish there was a nice "How-To" to configure this? And what is with xPL? Where does that fit in?

Thanks,

BSR

BraveSirRobbin said:
So I take it that by using the hub I can NOT use the mcsTemp plotting features?
It's been a while since I fiddled with it, but I believe that MCSTemp does not limit the devices that are plotted/logged to the ones that it is responsible for setting the values for. I think you can add any devices to the list.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Wish there was a nice "How-To" to configure this? And what is with xPL? Where does that fit in?
It can be a bit confusing to get started with XAP or XPL but they are pretty nice once you get them going. You can end up using devices with HS that don't have an HS plug-in but do have an XAP interface and if the need ever arose you can distribute XAP components very easily.

XPL is a spin-off from XAP and for your situation is not needed. I just mentioned it because it is the protocol that I'm more familar with (even though they are both very similar).

Eric

Back