Gobal Cache

apostolakisl

Does any one have one of these? http://www.smarthome.com/81181/Global-Cach...IP-to-IR/p.aspx I would like to get outbound IR on my ISY99i. It talks about iphone app control via tcp/ip but doesn't mention any other control I have the network module on my ISY but don't really know how to use it all that well. I tried the insteon ir unit and it was junk. . . returned it. I did post on the ISY board as well but never know who is where.

I got a itach wf2ir. It seems to work well. It is not a quick setup but it appears to be very capable.

Simply put, it is a translator. It converts IR light data streams into tcp/ip data streams and vice-versa, with this model over wifi. It does not appear to hold any codes itself, just receives, translates, transmits. The unit includes software that allows you to capture a data stream transmitted by it or send a data stream to it. You will need to use this capture software (ilearn) to translate your ir remote signals into data that you can use.

The ISY network module allows you to enter those data packs and transmits those data packs when instructed by an ISY program to the itach which translates to IR and transmits. There are lots of other ways to send those data packs beside ISY, that is just what I am doing.

They also include an application that turns ccf codes into global cache codes. CCF code libraries are out there if you would rather get your codes that way instead of using the ilearn app. I played with that a little and think it might be easier to just use ilearn.

If someone would put together an ISY library of itach commands that would be great. This would allow a direct import of large groups of commands all at once saving huge amounts of time. The itach can be assigned any ip address you like, so this library would require the importer to reset the ip as indicated. I believe all the global cache devices use the same translator so the library should work for all of them.

The unit has an ir blaster which seems to shoot great distances. It also has several stick on short range jobs as well. I am trying to figure out if you can specify which one of the three plugs you want a command to go to or if they always go to all three.

There are two apps on the iPhone App Store that use these devices. One is called Bobby, and I forget the name of the other. The other one actually looked much better, but you should be able to search the store for Global Cache and find both of them. Both are VERY configurable universal remote control apps. The bad reviews on both apps appear to come from people who want something that is completely plug and play, or didn't realize that they had to buy extra hardware to use the app.

Nothing for Android yet as far as I can tell. :)

There are two apps on the iPhone App Store that use these devices. One is called Bobby, and I forget the name of the other. The other one actually looked much better, but you should be able to search the store for Global Cache and find both of them. Both are VERY configurable universal remote control apps. The bad reviews on both apps appear to come from people who want something that is completely plug and play, or didn't realize that they had to buy extra hardware to use the app.

Nothing for Android yet as far as I can tell. :)

Bobby does not support the iTach only the gc100 series

Back