GPS & HA

This type of discussion is referred to "a solution looking for a problem"

Guy, I represent that statement.... :eek:

I have had a GPS in my car for around 4 years and use APRS to post it on my website. My daughter lives about 300 miles north of me and she watches me as I drive up to her home and back.

I have it set up so that you not only get the location, speed, direction, and alltitude, you get a sat photo of the area that the car is located. Even shows what lane of the interstate I am on.

To see it in operation, just visit my site and select the FIND MY CAR button.
Homeseer 1.7.44)

I will be driving from Louisville to Fairfield OH on Monday July 24th starting about 1pm CDT if you want to watch and see what APRS is all about.

For the ham license required, any class will do. There is a world wide repeater system on 144.390 FM simplex that feeds all APRS data into a 90 day repository located in Key West FL. Even the International Space Station has APRS installed. Most of the astronauts are also HAMS.

You can get information on any ham that uses APRS by visiting www.findu.com. APRS also is able to send information from home weather stations.

Will be glad to supply information for anyone interested.

APRS equipment for the car is a GPS that has NMEA output to a serial port, a small Terminal Control Unit such as TinyTrack or Open Tracker, both around $50, and a 2 meter tranciever that can transmit on 144.390, around $150 new. You can mount everything in the trunck or hidden. I can also supply pictures of my car installation for anyone that is interested.

[email protected].

Put APRS in the subject to bypass the spam filter.

APRS is what got me re-interested in HAM. Had an old tech license I renewed then upgraded to Extra class. It's addictive like home automation.

I use APRS to keep track of my kids car. I can call the HS server and it will give me a general idea of where the car is. When I have a PC handy I can lookup it's location thru FindU. Move piece of mind than real security but the kids know not to stray off the direct path to & from home because DAD WILL KNOW :eek:

kyham said:

Guy, I represent that statement.... :eek:
But you use APRS data as triggers in any of your HomeSeer or HAI rules? I think that is what Guy was alluding to.

How about putting a computer in your car with GPS, and the car would ask you what actions you want to take. Or could possibly be done with the newer phones.

What all can APRS be used for? Can I send other data besided GPS?
Where do I need to go to get a HAM license for APRS?

Squintz said:
What all can APRS be used for? Can I send other data besided GPS?
Where do I need to go to get a HAM license for APRS?

About the easiest way is to find a local radio club. If you know any HAMS ask them. What area do you live? I might be able to find a club or ham in your area to contact.

You can submit weather data to APRS without a ham license. You just feed it to the database over the internet. I don't have the site but can find it if someone else hasn't already.

Using HAM radio for APRS you can send short text messages to other hams. Normally under about 75 characters.

If you go to www.findu.com, you can find info from hams all over the world.
An example would be to look for K9SOA-9. That is my car. K9SOA is my home.

WayneW said:
kyham said:

Guy, I represent that statement.... :)
But you use APRS data as triggers in any of your HomeSeer or HAI rules? I think that is what Guy was alluding to.
Yes I do. When my car gets within 1 mile of the house and it is dark, I have some of the inside lights turned on. Nothing fancy yet. Have to think of some things I want to have done.

I do something similar with my iPAQ hw6515 Windows Mobile phone which has a GPS receiver built into it. There are a few Location Based Services which can track your GPS position and upload it via GPRS to a website. The one I tried is http://www.navizon.com.

The Navizon service even works on some phones without GPS by triangulating Cell and WiFi signals.

It is handy to use sometimes if I am biking or on a road trip so my wife knows I am safe. Mostly it is just kind of a fun geeky thing to do just because I can. I think it may be possible but difficult to integrate this data with an HA controller but I also agree it sounds more like a solution looking for a problem. :)

I do something similar with my iPAQ hw6515 Windows Mobile phone which has a GPS receiver built into it. There are a few Location Based Services which can track your GPS position and upload it via GPRS to a website.

Yes but most of those systems have a monthly cost attached to them.

APRS is a one time cost for the ham transmitter (around $160), the TNC, (around $50). After that, no cost at all. Yes you do need to get a ham license. That just takes a little time to study for the test. Morse code is not required but there is a one time fee for the test, (around $10). The only other cost is the renewal fee to FCC every 5 years, (about $10).

I work with the county Search and Rescue teams and we have been putting GPS systems on the search dogs so their search paths can be tracked on a laptop to make sure an entire area has been completely covered.

There are many ways to use GPS and HA. All have their + and -. Whatever works.

Back