GSM unit that emulates PSTN ?

sandman

Hi ALL

I've been hunting around for a unit that I can plug my ELK Telephone connection into and the GSM unit emulates a PSTN...meaning that the ELK will dial over GSM instead of PSTN. The next big question is, I'd like to get something whereby I can call the number and have the ELK answer and I can then drive the automation events, via this unit and not the PSTN

Is there such a beast ?

Thanks..Pete

Telular gives you the ability to dial out using GSM instead of the PSTN. Dialing back in, probably not because that would require a voice GSM channel.

You would need a GSM gateway like this:
GSM Gateway
or this:
GSM Gateway 2

Haven't used one of these GSM to analog gateways but I have a GSM to SIP gateway connected to my Asterisk PBX and the concept works perfectly.

Regards!
Erwin.

I was about to start a thread about this little gadet myself!

http://www.cidcocom.com/merge/index.html

Quoted, not much point in clicking...

"CidCoCom.com said:
With MERGE, “Bringing Your Cellular Service Home” is now a reality. No more running around the house searching for your ringing Motorola cell phone or looking for your Motorola cell phone to make free long distance calls. MERGE lets you use any home phone to make and receive cellular calls.

From the comfort of your home phones, you can maximize your free nights, weekends and long distance. Simply place your Motorola cell phone into MERGE, which also charges the phone, and use cellular service to make and receive calls from any home phone. If you have landline service, switching between cellular and landline service is easy. Making the choice between an outgoing landline call or a cellular call is as simple as pressing the # key. MERGE even supports voice dialing for those Motorola cell phones with voice dialing feature. Incoming cell phone calls will have a distinctive ring and display caller ID on your home phones.

There is no monthly service fee for MERGE, only a one time purchase of the MERGE.

Key Features:

Use cell phone service with any home phone

Works with or without landline service

Maximize Free Nights and Weekends, Maximize Free Long Distance

Compatible with popular Motorola cell phones models

Supports caller ID, call waiting and call forwarding Supports caller ID, call waiting and call forwarding

Charges cell phone with integrated base/ charger

Distinctive ring signals inbound cell phone calls

Improves cell phone reception
Place MERGE in the location with the best reception
Attach an external antenna (i.e. ARC Freedom Antenna) while the cell phone is in MERGE (http://www.antennas.com/arcproduct.html)
Supports IVR, such as voicemail access and call center navigation

Use cell phone voice dialing.

Looks to me as though this could be adopted although it ONLY works with Motorola phones. Still adding a phone to my plan is only $9/mo and the device is $100 and has no recurring service fees. Seems reasonable enough to me.

HI Guys

I've been doing a bit of digging and have a few options.

1) Use a dedicated GSM terminal, something like the Ericsson Unit
http://www.powertec.com.au/shop/ericsson-g...3559f7fcfbc9391

The interesting part here is that I can also dial the GSM unit, have the ELK answer and then run the automation tasks. This is a KEY selling point for me !

2) If the GSM unit can't make contact with the Base, what then ? I was thinking of using soemthing like this unit, whereby the unit dials on PSTN and fails over to GSM if the phone line is cut...

http://www.seceng.com.au/Products/BackupUn...62/Default.aspx

Now the guy selling this "suspected" I could dial in via GSM unit and have the ELK answer however he wasn't too sure.

3) I've posted for a help in the ELK Product forum to see if I can setup a "Poor mans" failover. I connect the ELK to the Ericsson GSM terminal via a double pole relay. If the unit dials out on Dialer 1 and fails, I want the ELK to toggle an output which would pull in a relay and switch me to the PSTN...My primary aim is to stay on the GSM if possible and if it looses signal, we failover to the PSTN. Why you may ask ? I am looking to dial into the house and activate events/tasks in my ELK while away and dont want to interfere with the Asterisk PBX that loves to "jump into the conversation" when I press the * key !

I'm interested in combining options 1 & 3, interested to see if the ELK can do this...

Cheers..Pete

Back