Guidance for remote access M1G / M1XEP

dfwehman

Hello,

I want to access my M1G from outside my home network. The unit is in my second home that is undergoing some renovation, so remotely arming / disarming, monitoring, etc. is pretty important, I don't want to be managing temporary codes for all the contractors!

Let me start by saying that while I am quite computer savvy, I am not terribly network savvy. I do know how to access my router's configuration, had done the port forwarding, etc., and have read the M1XEP manuals, but networking, and all the acronyms are just not my gift! I am able to access the M1XEP using RP software, and even had MyKeyPad working on my smart phone. I tried updating the M1XEP DNS addresses, and after that I could "see" the M1XEP, but could not connect. Thanks to another posting here I was able to reset the M1XEP by powering up with the jumpers connected, etc. I can now connect again using RP, however the smart phone will not connect, and I know I do not have things configured for true internet access that I really need.

From an Elk test program I have the following information from the M1XEP:

Name: Wireless Network Connection
Desc: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
MAC: 88FF1B3132DC
DHCP/Static: DHCP
IP Addr: 192.168.1.106
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
ID: {F440A509-E6CB-4F38-8DE6-42D65257F305}
Speed: 54000000
Multicast: True
DHCP Server 1: 192.168.1.1
DNS 1: 167.206.251.130
DNS 2: 167.206.251.129
Possible problems:
Windows Firewall is not enabled on this computer.  However, other third-party firewalls may be enabled, but this utility cannot detect them.  If you have trouble finding or connecting to an M1XEP, try temporarily disabling any firewalls that may be installed.

I know I need (or suspect I need) a domain server, presumably freedns.com would meet this need, and I need some information from my cable company (Optimum), but everywhere I turn I get questions I cannot seem to answer! Is there a (complete) Idiots Guide to setting up remote access? I've seen many posts that the M1XEP is wonderful, but a pain to configure. I tried to see if Elk could recommend an installer in the area (I'm in Northwestern Connecticut) but I heard nothing back. My installer knew M1G pretty well, but not much about the M1XEP and remote access, I'm not above paying for help!

Help! (Thanks in advance!)

You're actually on the right track; it sounds like you had the M1 actually set up correctly and then you made changes to it thinking you needed to - that's kinda where you went wrong.  Get your M1 on the network and working stable first, preferably with a Static IP address.  Typically you can log into your router and see that it's set to give out up to 100 addresses starting at 192.168.100.50 meaning you've got the addresses before and after that available.  Pick one of those and assign it to your M1 and make sure you can connect to it.  Also make sure that you have a Secure Access port set up - I prefer not to use the default - just pick something else - if it's 2601 by default, pick 2950 or something not too wild (technically you can go up to 65536, or go down to 1 but a lot of the <2000 ones have semi-standard uses).

Get that working in your home and in the phone - make sure you're using the secure port on the phone - once you get that worked out, we'll take the next steps on getting your router working.

Also if you'd like you can pop into the chat above and maybe catch someone's attention; I've been known to remote in and help a handful of people on occasion but it's a matter of being patient and catching someone who has some time - but it'll go a lot faster.

Essentially though - once you get things working, then you'll want to open up the port forwarding on the router - forward the chosen port above through to the IP address of your M1.  Taking things one step at a time, set up that, turn off wifi on your phone (so you're going through cellular like you weren't home) and try to connect to your house by IP.  If you're not sure, go to http://www.myipaddress.com to get your IP.  Once that's dialed in and working, then bring in the final step which is dynamic DNS.  This has nothing to do with the DNS settings on the M1's XEP and honestly I wouldn't configure it there - I'd pick any computer in the house's that's always on and run the updater on there that you get from somewhere like dyndns or noip.com and have that running to keep your DNS up to date, or possible set up your router to do the updates... but that's the final piece to help translate your IP which may change on occasion.

Since you said this is a remote residence, if you have a computer or an old laptop or something you can leave plugged in and turned on at that location while you work on all this, you can put logmein or teamviewer on it and get it set up for remote access - then you can remote in and work on this from the comfort of your main home whenever you feel like it.

:hesaid: That's actually the best concise statement of what needs to be done to get the M1XEP remotely accessible that I ever seen.  The key for the novice is to take it one step at a time!

Thanks! Since I have RP working on an old laptop at the house, I'll focus on getting MyKeyPad working within WiFi first, then I'll forge ahead with off-WiFi. Hadn't thought about remote connecting to my own laptop, duh, that will help! Still want true remote access for alerts and access when I am at work or elsewhere. Thanks, one step at a time!

+1 that Work2Play's instructions are great, and thanks for those.

Can anyone recommend a small program for Windows and another for Mac that will perform the "ping" function of contacting services like Zoneedit, DynDNS, etc, and keep my DNS updated? I did this with my Elk M1XEP for years with Zoneedit but then they changed their service login process and it no longer works for me using the Elk. My router supports only DynDNS (now requires fee), and as noted I use Zoneedit (one DNS still free). I have both a PC and Mac that are always on (Mac preferred b/c it requires much less management) and just need a pointer toward the low resource using software that will "talk" to Zoneedit and keep my DNS updated. THANKS!

I use the DD-WRT firmware on an Asus router. It has DDNS support for all of the major systems. Using it with No-ip.com right now. I just checked and it supports zoneedit.

See if you router is supported by DD-WRT and update it. Plus you get tons of other options beside just a good DDNS update client. Also ZoneEdit's site list update clients for all OS.

Yeah, if its not in the router, then most of these sites have a free download you can run on a computer.

If they're getting harder to find, then at one point I remember a dynamic IP (with PC client) being included in some of the levels of CocoonTech official supporters ;-)

I have been using DynDNS for probably a decade, but am now fighting with the manual monthly updates they're requiring to force us old grandfathered free accounts to go away. Ill need to pick something new myself before long!

Thanks! DD-WRT allegedly supports my router, but has not, to date, functioned properly for me. May try again over weekend or in a few days.

Appreciate the suggestion to check Zoneedit site as well for software. W2P, they were very reliable for me for years, but cannot comment now. Something changed, and knocked out my Elk's previous ability to work with them. Attempts to fix that to date have been unsuccessful, but it's not my area of expertise.

Here I have been using a paid no-ip dot com account now for a few years. 

That said I am using it with multiple WAN Dynamic DNS connections and it works just fine.

Curious what issues you are having with DD-WRT dynamic DNS stuff.  Here its been working for me for a few years now on my remote stuff.

I have my FIOS box set up with the DD-WRT box in one location and it works fine.  (multiple networks configuration). 

Madcodger, as stated above; start with small steps.  Just put one of the many Dynamic DNS applications available for PC's on a PC that is on 24 / 7.  Test it out.  Later then configure your router or firewall to do the Dynamic DNS.  Here I do it on my software firewall and DD-WRT'd boxes.  You can just upgrade the firmware on available routers and turn the box into a just for Dynamic DNS functions box.  You can test the functions of Dynamic DNS by SSHing into the box and having it just show all of the messaging / logs while you configure it.

Pete_c, the issue for me w/ DD-WRT was in getting the router itself to function, not just perform DDNS. I actually tried it on a router I replaced last year b/c I thought it never gave me good wifi reliability. It's a Linksys e4200 (dual band N router). I loaded DD-WRT on it and can't get it to see the WAN side (i.e., no internet). Found a number of posts on DD-WRT forum where experienced users were having issues w/ that router / firmware combo so not encouraging. Ran out of time to fiddle with it and just plugged the replacement Netgear back in. If time permits I may play w/ it today but just too much to do and too little time. I may try loading latest Linksys firmware on it and ensure that works (to ensure backup router ready in case I brick something), then load DD-WRT on the Netgear. Will try the client fix as you suggest as a good start to the DDNS issue though.

The Elk took care of this for quite some time, until changes at Zoneedit. May just need to fork over a few bucks to Noip or DynDNS, but I think I'm getting cheap as I get older. I seem to have more "service" subscriptions than the library has for magazines, so with just this one address to worry about I was trying to take advantage of my one free IP credit. Stupid, I know, but now it's the principle of trying it...

Yup; personally here in the MW went to using an Ubiquti for wireless.  This is the first AP I have used that I haven't dropped DD-WRT on.  That said one of my favorite AP combos with DD-WRT on it was the Buffalo router.  In fact for a while for whatever reason (some FCC approval thing?) they were not selling them here.  There are also some plugins / scripts for HS that do Dynamic DNS.  Here on the software firewall I do check occassionally the logging to make sure that its running OK; that and I force WAN DHCP changes by changing the WAN MAC address about once every month or so.   Lately having a bit of fun with this using the first MAC addresses ever assigned to network cards (think it was Xerox?  - 1st three bytes was something like all zeros or 00-00-00 or 00-00-01)

I had some fun recently dropping the DD-WRT OS on those new little mini router combos (which I utilize when traveling). Favorite little one was the Asus "pocket" router. 

I just recently lost the radio on the DD-WRT'd router in Florida. It was a older Linksys WRT-54GL.  The router is still working except for the radio pieces.  Thinking it was running some 24/7 for maybe 6-7 years?  There I started by leaving a dynamic DNS software running on a PC then switched over to using the Linksys.  I did though leave a weather station connected to an older IBM Thinkpad, folded on some bookshelf in some closet and left it connected to the wireless network instead of a wired network.  I've had no live weather data since July 2, 2013.  I did though download the configuration off of the Linksys and purchased a new one last week; copying the same router configuration back to the newer Linksys. 

Here too not into paying and paying for multiple subscriptions.  Its getting to where that is becoming the standard for just about anything these days.  I took advantage though of one subscription for multiple connected to the WAN HAI OPII panels by using the DD-WRT'd boxes that I put in mostly for the purpose of using dynamic DNS.  I really didn't think it would work; and it does; each one sends a tickle to the no-ip service and each one has a sort of unique dns name (well sort of - made it easy here - using similiar names - age thing?)

Another issue that sometimes crops up is that the ISP does tweak out their modems to allow this or that relative to their own service.  While indeed the preferences is to just adjust the level of service you pay for; they can block ports etc with the configurations on the modems.  Mostly these days they do not; but on the other hand they are pushing their own services; whether that is a PVR over the wan, automation or VOIP stuff.

To guarantee their added subs to your account they would most likley "adjust" the modems or QOS such that there is no throttling type stuff.  I have noticed too that the newer IP cameras and even older ones have dynamic DNS services built into their their OS and typically they go to their company dynamic DNS and its typically a free setup.  IE: I think Panasonic still has their Dynamic DNS service up for their camera viewing over the internet stuff.  It is only a confirmed sub using your email address; such that you could probably utilize it with anything that would log into their servers (not really camera centric - just DNS name centric). 

Back