HA software, HAI and Sonos

jdk972003

Ok well after some searching and discussions with the head of the household, I have taken a few steps. I was able to obtain a HAI Omnipro II board for $300 and got it yesterday (can you say deal!). Everything I know I have learned from reading on the various sites from here, HS, CQC, Elve, Zwave, Girder etc...

So I like the HAI due to the price I was able to get it at. But I would like to use a HA software package for a better touch screen experience (and price) using either ipads or similar android product (like the Viewsonic G-tablet). In addition, I will be using UPB which the HAI seems to have better integration (specific to status updates) then the Elk does from what I have read. I would like the Omnipro to control the UPB vs the HA software (hardware more dependable than software theory).

Now the wife has decided she likes the idea of total WHA touch screen control, independent zones, internet sources, mp3 library, etc and she despises volume control plates on the wall. So Sonos seems the right fit.

This is where I need help. Homeseer is the only HA software with Sonos direct control but its HAI driver is not updated, still serial for full thermostat control form the panel. But Elve and CQC lack any Sonos plug in. I am not sure how to integrate the HAI panel and the Sonos systems via a single interface otherwise.

The alternative is to follow jwilson56's approach for WHA (receiver per zone which could have additional benefits like video audio distribution). But I can not seem to find a good Girder HAI plug in either!

Guess I am looking for people experience who have used the HAI Omnipro II and Sonos together with HA software and how you did it?

Thanks

You may want to ask this same question on the HomeSeer message board as well to get the HomeSeer HAI users perspective.

I find myself using my Sonos from my ipod more than anything. I use Elve so I can just turn the amp on, set it to my Sonos source with the Elve app, then switch over to the sonos app and I'm done. It's great when you're out on the deck with a cold beer!
It's a bit more work from a pc/Touch screen but it still works. If I'm not mistaking there was someone working on a Sonos driver for Elve. Haven't heard anything more about that, I'll have to try and remember who it was and see if theres any progress yet. Should'nt be too hard, Andronos is open source so he might be able to use that as a reference.

BTW, I just recently switched all my lighting over to the Omni but I still use Elve to control it and it's working great! I was using 2 pims, one for the Omni and one for Elve but I figured I'd try to get rid of one and it's working out so far. There was a few hiccups but John took care of them, as usual, and now I have the same control and I free'd up a serial port.

Back