HAI Omni Pro II random beeping and EEPROM reset

hooman00

Hi
My Omni Pro II randomly beeps 3-4 times with no event logs or any errors on any of the consoles or panels. I have disconnected the battery and turned off power to the Omni Pro hoping that whatever is causing this sporadic beeping will reset and go away but it hasnt.

I would like to Reset Sytem RAM or reset the EEPRrom but being over 12 years since I set this system up, I am hoping by doing so I dont need to reconfigure things. (Frankly I cant remember how I set this all up) So question is how quickly can I get up and running after a eeprom or system RAM reset? Do I need to take note of anything like the MAC address of the consoles etc beforehand?

Resetting will be the same as when you disconnected the battery and power supply.

More than likely you have a zone that is configured to beep (exit zone maybe) that is shorting out.  Or a bad PIR?  

If it is random then it might be a bit difficult to find.  Easiest way is to create a log entry for each beeping zone and see which one is randomly triggering.

Thanks for the reply. I have checked all event logs and no traces of this.
I have disconnected the battery and cut off power completely as well but the random beeps still happen.
One thing that I have seen and could be related is that on the keypad panel, I have seen the message asking something like: do you want to turn off panels sound.. yes or no
I assumed maybe someone had accidentally touched a button combination that brought that message up. Even answering No to that prompt still has the panel beep when entry/exit points are triggered. Next time I will take note of the exact message

Do you utilize the beeps on the keyboard console for exit doors / alarm enabling?

If you do then I would not shut off the console beeps.  Random beeps could be a shorting pair of wires on an exit zone if configured as such.

I had that issue on one exit door a few years back that I had to re wire.

Even answering No to that prompt still has the panel beep when entry/exit points are triggered. Next time I will take note of the exact message.

Shutting off the panel beep on the console should shut off the sound entry/exit points.  This could be a hardware issue with the serial console.

Is this issue occurring at all of the consoles?  or just one console?  If one then maybe replace the console.  

I would like to Reset Sytem RAM or reset the EEPRrom but being over 12 years since I set this system up, I am hoping by doing so I dont need to reconfigure things. 

You can do this but need a backup of the configuration via PCA before.

There is a warm reset which you have done by disconnecting the power, pushing the reset button on the OmniPro panel board is another way to warm reset the panel.

The cold reset wipes everything out where you would have to reconfigure the panel.  That is where you need a backup.

Do you have any automation lines configured to beep the consoles?

pete_c said:
Do you have any automation lines configured to beep the consoles?
I have a back up of the configuration on a Dealer PC Access but you are right, it may just be short in either an exit zone or a problem with the keypad console.

I dont have any automation lines for the beep of the consoles.

My setup consists of 2 panels... a touch screen panel as you enter the house and also a keypad console in the entrance in the garage. The garage keypad is the one that randomly beeps.

I have the same set up here except that the keypad console is near the main doorway front entrance and the OmniTouch 5.7e is by the garage entrance.

If I disconnect the POE connection to the Omnitouch 5.7e the volume of the beeps goes way down by default so I have to manually turn up the volume.

Test the beeps on your touch panel to make sure you can hear them  Test the exit door beep opening and closing the door to make sure you hear it on both of the consoles.

If you hear it fine on both of the consoles then it may be s shorting wire on one of the exit doors.  

Last thing you want to do is to cold reset the panel and re upload the configuration.  It is a PITA to do this.

I do not think that the exit door opening and closing are recorded in the OmniPro logs unless you write some automation lines.

" if exit door 1 is opened" then "write message to log".

Define a message first like:  "zone triggered" and this message will appear in your logs when one of the exit door zones is opened.

This way if one exit door triggers randomly you will see it in the logs via PC Access.

UPDATE:
Today I heard the usual random beeping from the keypad in the garage. It happened twice within few minutes. Here are the messages I saw right after the random beeps. They were totally different!

Any more insight please?

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpeg
    IMG_5273.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5274.jpeg
    IMG_5274.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 19
The keyboard console picture above is showing commands.  Look at the Omnipro logs via PCA.  You might see something there.

I had an issue a few years back where one exit door to the house shifted and was pulling on the sensor wires disconnecting the wires. I replaced the contact door sensor and all was fine.

pete_c said:
The keyboard console picture above is showing commands.  Look at the Omnipro logs via PCA.  You might see something there.

I had an issue a few years back where one exit door to the house shifted and was pulling on the sensor wires disconnecting the wires. I replaced the contact door sensor and all was fine.
Thanks Pete.. I checked all the Event logs via Dealer PC Access and there was nothing except the usual Arm and Disarm. Is there a setting to tell the Omni to log "every event"?

Are you using chimes for any sensors or exit doors?

You can create an automation event when said chime / zone is triggered to log the event.

If you have only a few or just your exit doors configured with a chime then the event would be:

On trigger of zone XX the write to log.

It might be just a bad sensor or wire.  When it occurs your console with show what zone it is on.

Figuring out which zone is a bit of a PITA.  That is where you can write automation to log the zone trigger and tell you which zone trigger it is.

Hello hooman00,

Were you able to figure out this issue? I am having the same exact problem with the same message on the console and this is now happening at all hours. Disabling console beeps doesn't stop the random beeps.

Hello Lmonte68,
If you have more than one console, consider disconnecting all but one. It could be noise on the keypad bus. Do you have a wireless transceiver?
If so, it sits on the keypad bus as well. If the beeps are due to false key presses on the console there will be nothing in the log. A person pressing a key won't create anything in the log. Similarly noise on the keypad bus interpreted as a key press won't log anything.
dwalt

Hi dewalt,

I have 3 consoles and I do have a wireless transmitter. I disconnected the 2 consoles that were the culprits of the beeping and now it's no longer an issue. This system has been in this house for 8 years and I've never had an issue until now. I was thinking that the consoles we're going bad but based on your description I'm not confident it will solve my problem.

Back