HAI OPII -> Vizia RF...How to address a scene?

jlehnert

Got all the new z-wave equipment installed and running.  LOVE :wub:  the Z-wave lock integration.  But....I can't seem to get the OPII to correctly address Z-wave scenes.

For instance, I have two scenes for the entry lights.  The "normal" night scene has only the lights on the front of the garage illuminated at 25%.  When someone opens a door, or motion is detected in the driveway, all the lights (front garage lights, garage side door light, house side door light, and main entry light), all come on at 100%.  Using the Vizia RF + Installer tool, I can setup the two scenes and assign them to the 4-button controllers.  What I can't do is find out how to map the scene setup by the installer tool into the OPII.

The OPII has a specific setup for scenes, i.e. 4 scenes for every 8 units.  Inside PCAccess where I define the names for scenes, there are associated numbers.  In the example above the two entry scenes are #61 and #62.  When I created the scenes inside the installer tool, I assigned them those two numbers.  When activated from the 4-button controller the scenes work fine.  However, if I call the scenes from inside the OPII, ALL the lights in the bank of eight go on at 100#, no matter which of the four scenes are acitvated.

I believe that the scene information is stored on the switch, and not the controller.  If that's correct, it would seem that scene #61 on the OPII is not the same as scene #61 in the installer tool. 

Suggestions?

Got an answer, and it's not good.  Short and sweet, errr sour, per HAI/Levition tech support, it can't be done at the moment.

When HAI added the Z-wave capabilty, they cloned the HLC functionality, but never changed the scene portion of it.  If you call a scene, the panel thinks that it's an HLC scene, not Z-wave.  The panel actually sends a sends a z-wave scene command, but it doesn't send the RIGHT scene command.  And currently, there's no way to tell it what the right command is.

One suggested way to do it is to determine what needs to be sent, and then use a message to send the correct command via ASCII to the VRCOP.  I'll look into this in the future, but for the time being, I'm going to have to individually addess each unit within the scene.

Hopefully, since HAI is now part of Levition, they'll get this fixed.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Not a happy camper at the moment. :axe:

I have been looking into adding some Z-wave devices and came across this post. Have you looked at the last section of following HAI knowledge base article? It goes over mapping the scene controller buttons to scenes with automation rules. It looks like it is calling a scene on the actual scene controller.

http://kb.homeauto.com/default.asp?id=859&Lang=1&SID

Nope.  Still doesn't work.  Had my hopes up for a moment, but no luck.  I followed the instructions to the letter but the panel still doesn't recognize any button pushes by the zone controller.  Likewise, the scenes still don't work.  It kicks off a scene, but it's not the correct scene.  When I use programming to kick off scene A like the article says, EVERY light in the room goes on, not the lights that were programmed into the 4-button scene controller.  Exact same results for scene 2.

I'm using the Leviton RF Installer software instead of the hand held programmer, but that shouldn't make a difference.

I'll probably give HAI another call later this week.  The way they implemented Z-wave just doesn't make sense.  It's like they picked random parts to use, while ignoring others.

Well that is annoying. Leviton owns HAI and they even have a knowledge base article, which obviously hasn't been tested. They had an issue with Z-wave thermostats, which was reported in the below post. The latest firmware says it is resolved, so hopefully they will fix this as well.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/24663-opiie-and-automating-zwave-thermostats/

PC Access Version 3.12.0.716 (18/October/2013)
- Controller firmware 3.12 released:
  - Fixed problem sending back-to-back commands to the same Z-Wave thermostat.

As HAI/Leviton meantioned, you can just send the scene command. I believe the command:

>N1,10,23S2,255\r\n   Call scene 2 with default fade rate for nodes above

If you have a specific group number defined, then the the group recall (GR) command should work:
Code:
>GR1S2,255\r\n

Yeah, that's the next thing I'm going to try when I get a chance.  Just frustrated on having to go through a lot of extra steps/effort to get around the shortcomings of a VERY poor system design/implementation.  If I was still doing this for a living, there's no way I'd include Z-wave in a HAI installation.  

Hopefully, now that Tom Morgan is in charge of product development for both Vizia RF and HAI, he'll push to get a true integrated system out.

jlehnert said:
If I was still doing this for a living, there's no way I'd include Z-wave in a HAI installation.  

Hopefully, now that Tom Morgan is in charge of product development for both Vizia RF and HAI, he'll push to get a true integrated system out.
Let's hope so!  I do, do this for a living and we have moved away from Vizia after way too many of these types of problems.  After doing about 6 systems with Vizia I've come to the conclusion it is complete junk.  If all you want is a few lights to come on, it's an option but if you are looking for serious scene control you are better served by Lutron IMHO.

dgriffith said:
Let's hope so!  I do, do this for a living and we have moved away from Vizia after way too many of these types of problems.  After doing about 6 systems with Vizia I've come to the conclusion it is complete junk.  If all you want is a few lights to come on, it's an option but if you are looking for serious scene control you are better served by Lutron IMHO.
Or Centralite. It has a solid integration with HAI panels and is on a less expensive side than Lutron, although with not as extensive device selection.

Back