HAI Security and Automation System for Residential Property

HAdiy

First of all, I am very glad to have found this forum. I am VERY new to home automation and I have already learned a lot reading through the various threads over the past few weeks. However, as you will notice, I still have a lot to learn. Anyways, here's my story...

I am in the process of designing a DIY home automation system for my residence (~7,500 sq ft). I am leaning towards HAI for my needs. My home is pre-wired for MOST of my needs I mention below (the exceptions are the smokes and the carbon monoxide sensors). I would like the system to have the following functionalities:

1) Security (to include battery backup, cellular communication (GSM), 2-way communication with monitoring company, 11 door sensors, 10 glass breaks, up to 6 motion detectors, 5 wireless smokes, 3 wireless carbon monoxids, video surveillance, 2 indoor sirens, and 1 outdoor siren)

2) Lighting controls (off/on and dimming) - roughly 20 lights (however, some lights have multiple switches). Would like to have "scene" selections available.

3) Thermostat controls (qty: 2...may need up to 3 in the future)

4) A/V control (6 zones with 1 or 2 of them being surround sound). Sources would include cable, satellite, Blu-Ray, AppleTV and gaming console (5 total sources but would like to plan for a few more)

5) Would like to control the above security and home automation features with one user interface (prefer an app on a iOS device). I am leaning towards Haiku.

6) Would like the system to be smart enough to handle simple logic (ex: if alarm is triggered turn on flood lights)

7) Future needs may include controlling irrigation, access control and other features.

I have the following questions:

1) Should I opt for the Omni Pro II or Omni IIe and why?

2) Do I need to purchase a HAI keypad or can I program the system via Haiku or a PC? If I can program via a PC what cable do I need to purchase if any? Also, could I use Haiku on an iPad as my main keypad?

3) Will the HAI panel work with any security devices manufacture (ex: GE, Honeywell, DSC, etc) or do I have to buy HAI devices (motions, glass breaks, etc)?

4) Do I need to buy any special equipment for the panel to handle video surveillance or is that functionallity built into the panel?

5) Do you have any recommendations for a monitoring services?

6) What's the best place (online or brick and mortar) to buy such a system in terms of cost?

7) Do you recommend I move forward with HAI or should I consider other manufactures such as Elk to meet my needs?

Thanks in advance!

1) Omni Pro II. There is a lot of 'missing' options in the IIe and a house that size needs the II.
2) Keypad?? You mean the actual alarm keypads? You're gonna need them to control the alarm. At least one of them, obviously you can use tablets and phones but you are gonna want a true keypad for some things.
3) Can use any 'sensors' but will need HAI for expansion etc.
4) Not built in but HAI sells an expansion dvr to interface with the system. You can also use any dvr of your choice since even HAI's is just an ethernet interface. I don't use the HAI ethernet controllers but I think you can connect to any IP addressable device with them.
6) Completely opinion. They both are well liked around here and both are used. I like the HAI for my own reasons. Do some comparisons for yourself.

The big thing with any system you buy is the actual interface. A lot of options since the OEM's are really not the best for me. I chose Elve, others use Homeseer, or CQC and others. They are all just based on what you want from it so again, do some comparisons and find the one that 'fits' you.
Good luck! You're gonna love it!

I am a big proponent of HAI Omni Pro. You need to go Pro with the size home you have.

1) HAI has a device that uses a SIM card and backs up your home phone line. Works well I have one.
2) You can get the dealer software if you have the expertise and it will let you program and do just about everything you could possibly think.
3) Most closed contact devices will work just fine with the Omnipro.
4) There is a HAI hifi or something like that- I don't use it so I don't know much about it. I use Russound for my whole home audio - I can control it via RS232 with the omnipro but the My Russound app is too good to use anything else.
5) I use NextAlarm.
6) ASI Home. I have no affiliation other than I am a customer and very happy. Ask for Barry Hampe. They are experts on the product and can help provide support.
7) HAI if you ask me but I never used Elk.

Last note check out HAIKU from Null River Software for a better interface to control your Omnipro on an iPad and iphone. Much better then the omnitouch.

Good luck!

Neil

I will plus the two answers above. In addition I can comment on the Hi-Fi system for whole house audio. It can handle 16 zones, 2 of them variable output to use with hi-powered amps. It plays very nice with HAI 2-way voice board for announcements and I use Haiku app to control it. I also had a Russound controller, it is probably a slightly better audio quality amp, but unless you have very high end speakers you will not notice any difference. HiFi can be mounted on a structured panel, while the Russound is a standard amp component. I am not 100% sure, but it seems like HAI can only control the russound zones on the main controller, so that will limit your integration to 8 zones. I have HAI make announcements per room, so I needed access to more zones. Russound has better wall keypads, but I do not use any, everything AV is controlled from other devices. I also like HAI's local source control modules. They connect to the HiFi via cat5 cable, and you can install them in a surface mountable 1 gang box an use as portable devices as you need them around the house.

HAI uses the RNET protocol so it can control any RNET device including multiple amps. I have 2 amps (1 cav 1cam) using ten zones controlled fine from the OPII. In fact, Elve also uses the RNET protocol so I have one amp connected to the OPII and the other connected to Elve and I can control all zones from either system. A very well thought out protocol.

Thanks for all the replies, they have been very beneficialnas I plan my security and automation needs. I hope to have all the hardware ordered this week with installation shortly after! Based on what I've learned thus far, I plan to order the following:

1) HAI Omnipro II panel (qty: 1) - Am I correct in thinking I need to purchase the "Structured wiring panel?"
2) LCD Keypad: Part #: HA33A004 (qty: 1) - This will go near the panel (mostly hidden away) - I will use Haiku via iPads/iPhone as my main interface for control
3) HAI C3: Part #: HA70A002 (qty: 1) - For cellular communications. Will this work wit GSM providers (ex: AT&T)?
4) HAI 2 way module: Part #: HA10A111 (qty 1) - For 2 way communication with monitoring company
5) HAI speaker/microphone: Part #: HA28A002 (qty: 1)
6) HAI Omnistat II thermostats: Part #: HARC2000 (qty: 2) - Are these the recommended thermostats?
7) Dealer PC Acess: Part #: HA1105W (qty: 1) - For programming
8) Wired door sensors, wired glass breaks, wired motions, wireless smokes, wireless carbon monoxide detectors - I understand that the wireless devices must be GE.
9) HAI Wireless Receiver: Part # 42A00-2 (qty: 1)

I have the additional following questions:

1) Do I need to purchase a back-up battery separate or will the panel come with one?
2) What type of lighting package do I need to purchase for my needs? Need control for roughly 20 lights with "scene" selection control.
3) What type of video package do I need to purchase for my needs? Also, do I need to purchase "Automation Studio?" Both indoor and outdoor cameras that can be viewed on my Haiku app.

Thanks in advance!

I strongly suggest you contact Barry at ASIHome - or someone who sells the product and they can put together a package that will have everything you need.

Automation Studio is for HAI's touch screens - not HAIKU. Haiku is pretty locked interface-wise but it is wonderful. I use Everfocus DVR's that I can use within Haiku. I actually have it setup now that when I zone is tripped (Front Door) the front door is shown on the iPads. I wouldn't get the HAI keypad route. Use the hard button consoles and put an iPad in an iPort in the wall next to it and it is far better than anything else on the market.

Thanks for all the replies, they have been very beneficialnas I plan my security and automation needs. I hope to have all the hardware ordered this week with installation shortly after! Based on what I've learned thus far, I plan to order the following:

1) HAI Omnipro II panel (qty: 1) - Am I correct in thinking I need to purchase the "Structured wiring panel?"
2) LCD Keypad: Part #: HA33A004 (qty: 1) - This will go near the panel (mostly hidden away) - I will use Haiku via iPads/iPhone as my main interface for control
3) HAI C3: Part #: HA70A002 (qty: 1) - For cellular communications. Will this work wit GSM providers (ex: AT&T)?
4) HAI 2 way module: Part #: HA10A111 (qty 1) - For 2 way communication with monitoring company
5) HAI speaker/microphone: Part #: HA28A002 (qty: 1)
6) HAI Omnistat II thermostats: Part #: HARC2000 (qty: 2) - Are these the recommended thermostats?
7) Dealer PC Acess: Part #: HA1105W (qty: 1) - For programming
8) Wired door sensors, wired glass breaks, wired motions, wireless smokes, wireless carbon monoxide detectors - I understand that the wireless devices must be GE.
9) HAI Wireless Receiver: Part # 42A00-2 (qty: 1)

I have the additional following questions:

1) Do I need to purchase a back-up battery separate or will the panel come with one?
2) What type of lighting package do I need to purchase for my needs? Need control for roughly 20 lights with "scene" selection control.
3) What type of video package do I need to purchase for my needs? Also, do I need to purchase "Automation Studio?" Both indoor and outdoor cameras that can be viewed on my Haiku app.

Thanks in advance!

I think you are going to want a hard button console at least near your main entrance. Sometimes your forget your phone at work, batteries die, power is out so wifi is dead...

HAdiy I am about to venture down this same path. How was your experience and is your system working like you wanted? Where did you buy all of your hardware? I see the comments for asihome and their pricing looks pretty competitive. How is the interface with your iPad working. I've wired for 3 keypads but I'm think maybe ill only need one and use my phone or iPad for everything else. Just looking for pointer for my next big step.

Wow I am very glad I found this forum and this thread. This one thread seems to have answered a lot of my questions. I was originally looking at Insteon until I came here, and it seems like HAI is the way to go.

I do have one question though, sorry to hijack in advance. Say I wanted to use third party sensors, specifically something like a water leak sensor, and have it wired to an actuating valve that would shut off the water main in one sensor is tripped. Or maybe wireless CO and smoke detectors.

I'm just having a difficult time understanding how wiring these things to the Omni panel would allow me to do these things. How does the sensor interact with the board? How does the board tell the valve to close? I would venture that it is all in the programming?

Say I get the 64-zone Wireless Receiver, are there other detectors for CO and Smoke that can send signals to that receiver or no?

Back