HAI to Somfy Universal RTS Interface

ghanson

Looking to see if anyone has had any luck making the HAI OMNIPRO II communicate to the Somfy Universal RTS Inteface over 232. I am using the OMNIPRO II as my primary house controller. I have 10 window blinds with Somfy RTS motors and want to automate the control of these through the HAI. I successfully setup the Somfy unit to control each of the blinds and can issue a command from the Somfy unit and control the blinds. The problem I am having is I can't make the Somfy unit work when sending it an ASCII command through the RS232 on the HAI. I have verified that the ASCII command out of the HAI using Hyperterminal and it matches the ASCII string that Somfy indicates to send to the unit. If any one has had success with this would appreciate any help or guidance. Thanks

Looking to see if anyone has had any luck making the HAI OMNIPRO II communicate to the Somfy Universal RTS Inteface over 232. I am using the OMNIPRO II as my primary house controller. I have 10 window blinds with Somfy RTS motors and want to automate the control of these through the HAI. I successfully setup the Somfy unit to control each of the blinds and can issue a command from the Somfy unit and control the blinds. The problem I am having is I can't make the Somfy unit work when sending it an ASCII command through the RS232 on the HAI. I have verified that the ASCII command out of the HAI using Hyperterminal and it matches the ASCII string that Somfy indicates to send to the unit. If any one has had success with this would appreciate any help or guidance. Thanks
I've done it on a few projects without issue. Simply set up your ASCII strings as messages like *0o00; or *0c00; Then make sure that your HAI serial port is set to 9600, ProLink. Never had a problem.

Try entering the messages into PC Access with the following format:
0101U^M (up command for blind #1)
0101D^M (down command for blind #1)
You need the ^M at the ned of each message (command)for it to work.

Try entering the messages into PC Access with the following format:
0101U^M (up command for blind #1)
0101D^M (down command for blind #1)
You need the ^M at the ned of each message (command)for it to work.
Ugh, I was posting the commands for a wired system (ESI R2D7). D'oh.

I finally got the OMNI to talk with the Somfy Unit over RS232. I am noticing that the Somfy unit does not respond to all commands. Wondering if anyone else has seen this type of issue. ASCII commands are structured as 0103U^M. I can send this message several times and the Somfy will react to one of the commands but not everyone have approximatley 1 minute delay between sending commands. Discounting interference from other wireless devices as the Somfy unit does not respond to the command over RS232 so never gets to the wireless part. Thanks for everyones assistance.

I finally got the OMNI to talk with the Somfy Unit over RS232. I am noticing that the Somfy unit does not respond to all commands. Wondering if anyone else has seen this type of issue. ASCII commands are structured as 0103U^M. I can send this message several times and the Somfy will react to one of the commands but not everyone have approximatley 1 minute delay between sending commands. Discounting interference from other wireless devices as the Somfy unit does not respond to the command over RS232 so never gets to the wireless part. Thanks for everyones assistance.

I'm Having the same issue on a Lumina Pro Panel; I can control the blinds from the RTS serial controller, but having issues talking to it from the HAI panel, any tips?

I'm Having the same issue on a Lumina Pro Panel; I can control the blinds from the RTS serial controller, but having issues talking to it from the HAI panel, any tips?
Mine seemed to be in the wiring to start with. Could never get it right it seems. Finally puchased an HAI serial connector kit (like you would use to communicate to a Russound) and then purchased the Somfy RJ45 to Serial adapter. Plugged the two DB9's together and plugged the cable into each device and the Somfy started recognizing the ASCII strings. Still have the issue of not all commands being recognized by the Somfy. Can send a message string manually and it will recognize it sometimes and sometimes it will not. Will work on that some more this weekend nd if figure something out will let you know.

UPDATE

Finally got this working reliably. Combination of mis-steps.

1. Switched to using RS485 from RS232. This was a recommendation I found on Worthington Distributors Site.
2. Switched the port that the cable plugs into on the back of the Somfy from the middle port to the other RJ45 port. Even though all the Somfy manuals say that in 485 mode both ports can be used when plugged into the middle port it would not respond.

After these two changes the system works flawlessly. Thought I would share incase others suffering.

I'm also having trouble interfacing the Somfy Universal RTS Interface II to my HAI Omni Pro II controller. The RTS controller works the blinds correctly, but it doesn't seem to respond to the HAI. I setup a user button to send "0101U^M" to serial port 1 (configured as ProLink, 9600). I first tried connecting it as RS232 using the HAI RJ11/DB9 adapter to a pass-through (also tried a null modem for good measure) to Somfy's DB9/RJ45 adapter. Next, I tried ghanson's suggestion of making a custom cable (RJ11 2,4,5 going to an RJ45 8,2,1) and switched the serial port jumper to RS485. I tried the RJ45 in both of the RJ45 positions of the Somfy RTS interface. But, no luck.

Any suggestions of how to diagnosis this? Or, in lieu of that, recommendations for an installer in Illinois to set this up?

I'm also having trouble interfacing the Somfy Universal RTS Interface II to my HAI Omni Pro II controller. The RTS controller works the blinds correctly, but it doesn't seem to respond to the HAI. I setup a user button to send "0101U^M" to serial port 1 (configured as ProLink, 9600). I first tried connecting it as RS232 using the HAI RJ11/DB9 adapter to a pass-through (also tried a null modem for good measure) to Somfy's DB9/RJ45 adapter. Next, I tried ghanson's suggestion of making a custom cable (RJ11 2,4,5 going to an RJ45 8,2,1) and switched the serial port jumper to RS485. I tried the RJ45 in both of the RJ45 positions of the Somfy RTS interface. But, no luck.

Any suggestions of how to diagnosis this? Or, in lieu of that, recommendations for an installer in Illinois to set this up?

Some other details: When I connect the HAI to a computer's COM port I can see the commands being sent properly via hyperterminal. However, when I connect the computer's COM port to the middle RS232 port of the Somfy controller and try to manually type the command "0101U<press enter>" then nothing happens. Should this work?

Even older thread!  :rofl:

I finally pulled the ripcord on automating my blinds and went with Somfy RTS. I received the URTS interface already (drop shipped separately) and connected it to the OPII. I notice when I press a 'function' button on its face the led blinks but if I send a command from the OPII it does not. Can anyone confirm that it does or does not blink when sent commands? Not sure if it should or if it isn't because I don't have it programmed yet.
Does anyone know of a "all"  command? I'd like to open and close them all at the same time each day, and will operate individually on a 'need to' basis. Can't seem to find any commands other than 0101U, 0101D and 0101S^M (obviously the first 01 is unit second would be motor). Was hoping for a 0100U or similar.
Also, do the motors respond with their status? Don't find any info on this either but it would be nice to be able to acknowledge 'where' they are from the OPII.

Frunple,

I never came across an all command, would be nice. I had to create seperate message instructions for each blind to open and close it.
I have never seen any mention of the status being reported back from the RTS motor.
If the red led on the face of the URTS is not blinking then the unit is not sending a message out. You have to go through and program each RTS motor with an ID number and match this up to the same ID number in the URTS. This is the first step that I did. You actaully use the Somfy RTS keypad for your blind to set this up. Once you can open each individual blind by selecting the number on the adress wheel on the URTS and sending a signal you are ready to automate it with your HAI. The information here and the contributors to this forum were invaluable help getting mine going.

Back