Haiku HaikuHelper ...Why only OSX?

whumphrey

I'm brand new to haiku so this may be a dumb question.....I'm not exactly sure what Haiku Helper is about but why is it only available for OSX?  Are there any future plans for this to move to PC world?

Sorry no plans for PC/Windows support. The main reason is that we are using tech that is only available on OS X. It would have to be a whole new product on PC/Windows.

Yes, it has been discussed in the past but it's really hard to think it would be impossible and it would very very greatly increase your market.
A PC server is much cheaper and much more people would buy and use it.
And I refuse to believe that a PC can't have "tech" close enough to the Mac one.

Also a Linux version capable of running on NAS like synology or QNAP would be a huge leap.

Finally, consider that none of the system I mentioned has anything even remotely similar to HH.

My hope is that maybe one day you'll reconsider this option.

Just off the top of my head, the Apple Push Notifications require OSX...
A used Mac mini is only a couple hundred bucks, not really out of the realm of possible for what is essentially a hugely extensible automation platform.

I don't think so growl or IFTT and tons of other apps send push notifications to my iPhone everyday.
Also the point is not the 200 bucks - that incidentally goes up to 300/400 EUR here in Italy (make it 450 $), for a used mini capable of running haiku helper - but the fact that many many people already have a windows or Linux based System always on for some other reason and could use it for HH.
Or you could just buy a PC equivalent to the Mac mini for half the price.
Don't get me wrong: the mini is a great machine, maybe perfectly suitable for the purpose with its low consumption, but a PC also is.

Push notifications are not the issue, but other technology we use does not exist on PC platforms. If we were to develop a PC version it would be a whole new application and likely would not have the same features. A Mac mini is indeed very well suited for the job, so that is what we recommend you go with if you want to be able to use HaikuHelper.

You can also purchase a commercial Aopen Digital Engine refurshbished these days for around $30 USD instead of purchasing a used/refurbished Mac Mini.

The ones that I utilize all have Intel Core Duo's with 1-4 Gb of internal memory as purchased alone with XPE licenses.

Its not a pretty / elegant computer; but it would work fine as a Mac Mini substitute. 

I use these today for my XBMC boxes and they do very well.

The oldest one that I have purchased new for some $500 barebones was being utilized for Microsoft MCE.  It does have integrated bluetooth and a TV tuner card (tiny things which just plug into the motherboard.  Stacked little blue ray player with hard drive underneath.  It still sits next to the LCD TV; only its running XBMCBuntu these days.

Hi Pete C,
                I am very new to all this. I searched for Aopen Digital Engine and the least I could find for is $79 on ebay, that too without any software. Is this you were talking about? If yes, then where to get the software to install on that etc. Can you please help?
Thanks

I am very new to all this. I searched for Aopen Digital Engine and the least I could find for is $79 on ebay, that too without any software. Is this you were talking about? If yes, then where to get the software to install on that etc. Can you please help?
Thanks

Yup you have to keep looking and wait.  The Aopen Digital Engine is a commercial metal box versus the Aopen for home mini-pc.  They are more robust.

I bought one last week for $25 with free shipping; for parts.  The one you have in the link is it.  I purchased one a while ago; wrote to the vendor and he some me some 10 of them discounted at one time afterwards.  You can also looks for a reasonably priced used Mac Mini; they are around.

From googling installation of OSX on an Aopen DE; it does work from what I can see.  The Aopen is using an Intel core duo CPU that can be either at 2Gb or 4Gb of internal memory.  I have not installed OsX on an Aopen; such that I wouldn't be of much help.  Been playing with that whole EFI boot thing; not sure if you want to venture in that direction.

That said though just received a "gift" of a Samsung Ultra Q1 that runs on boot: Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1, Osx and Android  4.X. Works fine on this intel based little handheld.

BTW; be creative with your search on Ebay; lots of folks do not know what it is that they are selling.  IE: use mini-pc, digital engine, DE, Aopen so forth and so on.  I sometimes write to the seller and ask if he will do a private Ebay sale to me selling the device the same day I write.

I have done this with the bulk buys staying in the world of ebay for keeping the protection for both the seller and buyer.  Works.

I'm not sure the average person would be brave enough to attempt a hackintosh (the term for a machine with OSX on non-native hardware) - but Mac Mini's can be had online for less than your average hardware automation controller.  I just saw some on ebay for the mid $200's - If I were looking for an OSX machine that'd be my chosen path.  It's a perfectly reasonable price for any automation controller.

It really doesn't matter how many machines in your house are "always on" - really, your Home Automation controller should be a dedicated "appliance" that doesn't do anything but your automation if you want it to be extremely reliable and stable... and for all the OS arguers, even a Windows box can be mission-critical and super-reliable if done right and left alone.  So from that standpoint, it really shouldn't matter what OS is on the machine.

That said, if you're feeling adventurous, google OSX on VirtualBox (or ESXi may be even better - try here) and you'll see plenty of examples of getting a VM going that could run HH.  Unfortunately I don't run HH, but it sounds like an awesome setup.  I believe Jayson is working on something not too far off for us Elk people.

You can buy a fairly recent Mac Mini on eBay for a few hundred dollars. Mine is barely warm to the touch, so it certainly can't be using much power. Add in Apple's server software for $20 and it can be a file server, mail server, DNS server, etc.  The similar Microsoft product, called Windows Server 2012 Essentials costs over $500 just for the software!! I might add that my Mac Mini which runs an SSL web server NEVER had the had the Heartbleed virus problem which affected MANY PC web servers.

I think you just don't get the point. I already have many PC parts around and the cost would be zero for me. Also the comparation with the windows server is useless: I don't need a mail or file server, just something to interact with the op II.
I don't see the connection with heartbleed (that is not a virus btw). The problem with heartbleed lies also on the services we use on the internet and a Mac cannot protect you from that.
Anyway if I have to build a custom system I think I'll go with an arguing which is way cheaper than a Mac mini.

Back