HAL plus Stargate

upstatemike

A number of recent issues make the viability of using my stargate with Homeseer pretty questionable so I am now thinking of using HAL for my VR interface. Is anybody using HAL with a Stargate? Any pros and cons?

i looked over on the hal board and there's maybe 2 dozen posts mentioning 'stargate' so i'm guessing there's not many users of this combo. i did find one thing, only hal 2000 supports IR.

I'm not really looking for a full interface. My plan is to put HAL on line 5 on my phone system (with no outside line) and set it up to go into listen mode when I go Off Hook so I don't have to press the # key.

I guess I was figuring to have HAL set flags or variables in Stargate which in turn would trigger Stargate events. I don't really need HAL to handle lights or relays directly... just to signal Stargate that a particular command has been issued and let stargate decide what to do about it.

upstatemike said:
A number of recent issues make the viability of using my stargate with Homeseer pretty questionable...
Hmmm, sort of conflicts HomeSeer's Sept newsletter where they state:

Stargate Plug-in (Updated!)
This eagerly awaited plug-in includes new features and functions for the latest series of Stargate controllers. Although still in BETA, the plug-in is fully functional and may be downloaded from the HS2/HSPRO updater. Included with HSPRO and PRO-100; available as an option for HS2.
:p

BraveSirRobbin said:
upstatemike said:
A number of recent issues make the viability of using my stargate with Homeseer pretty questionable so I am now thinking of using HAL for my VR interface. Is anybody using HAL with a Stargate? Any pros and cons?
Hmmm, sort of conflicts HomeSeer's Sept newsletter where they state:

Stargate Plug-in (Updated!)
This eagerly awaited plug-in includes new features and functions for the latest series of Stargate controllers. Although still in BETA, the plug-in is fully functional and may be downloaded from the HS2/HSPRO updater. Included with HSPRO and PRO-100; available as an option for HS2.
:p
I would refer you to the posts from the last couple of days in the Homeseer/Jds Plug-in forum.

BraveSirRobbin said:
upstatemike said:
I would refer you to the posts from the last couple of days in the Homeseer/Jds Plug-in forum.
THIS post? I've seen worse :p

Oh well, shame it didn't work out for you but I wouldn't give up hope yet.
Same thread but go back towards post #208.

Bottom line is the SG plug-in just got real expensive, doesn't work, and HS has said they do not plan to support SG thermostats.
and
The HS RCS Serial Thermostat plug-in is not reliable and many people who used to use it have had to write their own scripts and ditch the plug-in.
and
The Insteon plug-in has issues.
and
Homeseer phone scripting and the way2call have issues.
etc.

I'm not so much giving up hope as looking to see if there isn't a more "plug-and-play" alternative out there.

Anybody know the difference between HAL2000 and HALpro?

Anybody have info on the new version coming out shortly? (Besides what has already been discussed on the HAL board.)

nope. it's not a major release they're working on so i don't think it should be too long.

Back