Hardwire Lighting Response Times

rmcneil

For comparison purposes, how does CentraLite and/or other hardwired solutions compare in response time to X-10, UPB, Insteon, Z-Wave, etc?
1) The most important comparison is local response time, ie when I walk into a room and hit the switch, how soon does that light come on?
2)The secondary comparison would be scene response time, ie, if I push a button for a scene, how long until every light involved in the scene has changed state?
3) Is it safe to assume that CentraLite is fairly simple to coordinate with Elk?

I can't believe I'm actually thinking this may be the way to go, because I don't know how I'd slip this past my wife. Changing one switch at a time is so much easier to sneak into the budget...

RM

For comparison purposes, how does CentraLite and/or other hardwired solutions compare in response time to X-10, UPB, Insteon, Z-Wave, etc?
1) The most important comparison is local response time, ie when I walk into a room and hit the switch, how soon does that light come on?
2)The secondary comparison would be scene response time, ie, if I push a button for a scene, how long until every light involved in the scene has changed state?
3) Is it safe to assume that CentraLite is fairly simple to coordinate with Elk?

I can't believe I'm actually thinking this may be the way to go, because I don't know how I'd slip this past my wife. Changing one switch at a time is so much easier to sneak into the budget...

RM

I have an Elegance system.

1. I don't notice any lag when pushing the buttons.
2. I have 96 loads, it takes 2 or 3 seconds to activate everything with the "All" lights scene. (But some of the cool stuff with scenes is using ramp times to slowly turn lights on and off)
3. I'm using the Serial expander, it has a firmware set that supports the Centralite serial protocol.

Brian

Umm... Are you referring to the new Centralite wireless system or their hardwired systems? You really can't sneak a hardwired system in one switch at a time.

With that said, I have used two technologies: Insteon and Lutron's Homework's wireless. As far as my eyes could tell, both respond almost instantaneously to button pushes. If anything, the Lutron seems to respond slower due to the slower ramp rate I have set. My neighbor has a Litetouch hardwired system and the response on it is instantaneous as well.

RM

I have an Elegance system.

1. I don't notice any lag when pushing the buttons.
2. I have 96 loads, it takes 2 or 3 seconds to activate everything with the "All" lights scene. (But some of the cool stuff with scenes is using ramp times to slowly turn lights on and off)
3. I'm using the Serial expander, it has a firmware set that supports the Centralite serial protocol.

Brian
I have a litejet system. I don't have any lag with my loads or scenes. I don't have my Elk hooked up yet so I can't tell you how that goes yet...

Chris

Back