Harmony IR to Insteon?

jeffk

I have a Harmony (IR only) remote and a number of Insteon dimmers in my home theatre. I would love to be able to choose the "watch movie" activity and have the lights in the room transition to a theatre preset. Upon pausing the movie, I'd like the lighting to adjust to another mode (e.g. overall lighting comes up a little and the washroom lighting comes up to 20%). Pressing "play" would return the environment to theatre lighting mode.

My preference would be able to use a IR to Insteon hardware bridge (driven by my IR repeater). I'm thinking of a small solid state Insteon box that listens to IR commands and issues Insteon commands. If this box had a USB or ethernet connection for programming / logging that would be ideal. A web enabled interface would be fantastic...

I would prefer not to a server running 24/7 to relay the command (be it windows / linux or osx). I would also like to avoid X10 and keep the signalling Insteon only.

Does such an option exist?

I have a Harmony (IR only) remote and a number of Insteon dimmers in my home theatre. I would love to be able to choose the "watch movie" activity and have the lights in the room transition to a theatre preset. Upon pausing the movie, I'd like the lighting to adjust to another mode (e.g. overall lighting comes up a little and the washroom lighting comes up to 20%). Pressing "play" would return the environment to theatre lighting mode.

My preference would be able to use a IR to Insteon hardware bridge (driven by my IR repeater). I'm thinking of a small solid state Insteon box that listens to IR commands and issues Insteon commands. If this box had a USB or ethernet connection for programming / logging that would be ideal. A web enabled interface would be fantastic...

I would prefer not to a server running 24/7 to relay the command (be it windows / linux or osx). I would also like to avoid X10 and keep the signalling Insteon only.

Does such an option exist?

The only option right now is to use an IR-543 or IR-543AH and program the x-10 addresses into the insteon devices, as far as I know. It would be perfect if some manufacturer would make a device that would allow the harmony IR-543 codes to be mapped to actual insteon devices. A-1 to Group 1, A-2 to Group 2, etc....

I would buy 2 of them now if they were available.

This was brought up at Simplehomenet but there is only a hint, not a date or manufacturer.

http://www.simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94

Soon I hope, along with 1000's or other x-10 to Insteon converts.

EventGhost and a USB UIRT should be able to handle this, if there is an Insteon command line interface.

IR > EG > almost anything, IR, RS232, command, plugins for XP specific functions... System volume, application focus, plugins for a few HTPC softwares too. Plugins allow control of software without need for focus, great for surfing the web while spouce watches SageTV. Whatever the limit of macro creation is it will be huge, they are stored flat file in XML.

EDIT:

Currently mine goes like this...

RF remote (Snapstream firely) > EventGhost (Media Server - Living Room) > Ethernet > EventGhost (Automation Server) > x10 command line interface

EventGhost also has 2 way communications capability however I haven't started using it except from EventGhost to EventGhost. As I understand it, Girder communications is identical as such they will work together.

USB UIRT is fully supported aside from IR code grabbing but there is a work around.

Hate to tell you this but KISS solutions that actually do everything you desire are few and far between in this game. :( I will note that solution is sub $100 if not pretty darn close.

I like the more advanced capabilitys available this way, when I pause or mute the TV in the living room the lights there go from 30% to 60% output. Same goes for when I mute the TV, when I play a DVD or start video they drop to 30%.

Also EventGhost has a webserver interface but alas it requires a Windows machine somewhere in the home. :p

So I would say No, this does not currently exist with those criteria.

I know you said that you don't want a server, but I still recommend IRTrans.
I think they have hardware only versions that may help you out, but I am using a server based solution.
I had this system set up in my old house with three devices connected to my Mac. On a Mac, it is really easy to have IR signals from these units trigger ANY event via AppleScript(via free iRed software). I had some controlling X10/Insteon using Indigo and some others to control iTunes for my house audio system.
You may want to check this out.
http://www.irtrans.de/en/

Back