Has anyone put in-wall speakers in a spray foam (icynene) insulated exterior wall? How did you make

Seeing your situation, I would recommend surface mounting a center channel speaker under the TV.  Then mounting your L/R speakers to the outside of the windows.  You'll also want surround speakers in the ceiling behind your seating area.  Surface mount center speakers are readily available and look good, and you already are surface mounting the TV, so it won't look cluttered at all.

I would also recommend centering the windows and TV on that wall.  I know you will say it doesn't look as right from the outside, but I bet you can shift things around a little to make it work.

I agree with Lou. At a minimum, you should have LCR (Left, Center, Right) speakers. If you are going to be using a HT receiver to watch TV, much of the dialog is sent through the center channel.

I can see the interior placing of the windows would work. In the picture, he is centering the sofa to the TV, and the right side of the wall is lined up with the path behind the sectional. Something can be placed on the wall that can "hide" the imbalance of the windows.

Kevin

pete_c said:
Kevin,
Curious why you cannot write insurance on EIFS?  Personally I always believed it was the "end all" solution to stucco.

Primarily because of moisture intrusion behind EIFS. A lot of EIFS homes are frame (like my son's home) and the moisture is a hotbed for rot, mold, and termites.

One of my insurance carriers requires homeowners to repair any cracks in standard masonry stucco for the same reason.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin; I did not know that.

We only used it once on a building that was made of cinder blocks. That said I never saw any issues. 

The front of the building had much glass and block front.  That said though watching the installation for a section I cannot see that it would cause an issue.  Not done properly or too quickly by a non certified or none trained installer would probably be detrimental. 

Yes I wouldn't have installed it over frame though.  The old house in Florida was all wood built in 1958.  The wood was like putty in 2000 and held together by painting it mostly.  Due to FEMA regulations affecting building codes the new home was built mostly of blocks and elevated some 8-10 feet with really little wood on the outside.  I think this house would most likely survive a direct hit from a hurricane.  The old home would have probably not survived a direct hit.  Actually we had a near hit and it mostly took out palm trees and just the pool lanai. 

Lou Apo said:
Seeing your situation, I would recommend surface mounting a center channel speaker under the TV.  Then mounting your L/R speakers to the outside of the windows.  You'll also want surround speakers in the ceiling behind your seating area.  Surface mount center speakers are readily available and look good, and you already are surface mounting the TV, so it won't look cluttered at all.

I would also recommend centering the windows and TV on that wall.  I know you will say it doesn't look as right from the outside, but I bet you can shift things around a little to make it work.

Kevin L said:
I agree with Lou. At a minimum, you should have LCR (Left, Center, Right) speakers. If you are going to be using a HT receiver to watch TV, much of the dialog is sent through the center channel.

I can see the interior placing of the windows would work. In the picture, he is centering the sofa to the TV, and the right side of the wall is lined up with the path behind the sectional. Something can be placed on the wall that can "hide" the imbalance of the windows.

Kevin

Thanks for the advice guys.  Re: window placement - not only is that part of the house built already (framed, windows installed, sided, etc), but there would be 0% chance of moving those windows.  There is a *lot* of symmetry going on w/ the placement of the exterior windows.  Let's say that... I don't have much say in where those windows go :)  That wall is the best for the TV (due to the layout), and the windows determine the TV placement.  I'm ok w/ it being off-center, though it does make speaker placement tricky.

Also, I've scaled way back on my "home theater" aspirations here.  I initially wanted 5.1 with good placement, the works.  But I've been auditioning my current TV setup (55" Vizio) with a pair of Polk RTi6 speakers + Onkyo 60W/ch 5.1 amp.  Compared to the built-in TV speakers we've been using for a while, it sounds amazing!  While I'd love a full 5.1, I know I can be very happy with much less (4.1, no center), spend less money, put less junk in the walls, everyone's happy.  Not ideal, but I always have the attic for that (along with a real 5.1, future projector, etc :)

I'd echo the others with a slight variation; in that space, I wouldn't try to cram in L, C, and R - I'd get a single LCR and put it centered below the speaker.  That'll cover the 3 channels and look pretty clean as a single mesh.  It'll sound way better than just LR.

Cool looking space - would love to see the finished pictures!

At the very least you should pull wires and leave them coiled up in the wall for surround speakers and left/right speakers, also I would pull some wires for a subwoofer.  The subwoofer can hide behind furniture or just about anywhere.

The combined L/R/C deal work2play speaks of are pretty descent.

+1, cable for 5.2, 5.3, or 5.4 (you don't know where the sub will go).

In-ceiling subs available.

Niles announced a new clever in-wall LCR sound bar, powered and unpowered available.

http://www.cepro.com/article/niles_bows_clever_in-wall_soundbar_no_drilling_through_studs/?utm_source=RC&utm_medium=module

I think you'd be best off with in-wall LCR speakers below the TV.

Artison makes some nice LR speakers that mount to the sides of the TV. Sound bar attached to the bottom of the TV is also an option.

If you have the right cables, you'll have the option to change later.

What are these combined in-wall LCR speakers you guys speak of?  Are they similar to sound-bars?  I'm definitely curious.  It seems like that wouldn't work w/ the studs, but maybe I'm imagining it wrongly.

Re: pics... I have some in-progress pics:

VGIpAGt.jpg

You can see where I'm planning the speakers.  I'm planning on just L & R right now, but I'll wire for center as well & leave it coiled in wall.  I would consider putting in a matching center now, but I think it'll look better w/ just L & R.

I'll wire the sub, leave a keystone jack under the TV (plug height), and put the sub there (hidden in the TV hutch).

pete_c said:
Thanks Kevin; I did not know that.

We only used it once on a building that was made of cinder blocks. That said I never saw any issues. 

The front of the building had much glass and block front.  That said though watching the installation for a section I cannot see that it would cause an issue.  Not done properly or too quickly by a non certified or none trained installer would probably be detrimental. 

Yes I wouldn't have installed it over frame though.  The old house in Florida was all wood built in 1958.  The wood was like putty in 2000 and held together by painting it mostly.  Due to FEMA regulations affecting building codes the new home was built mostly of blocks and elevated some 8-10 feet with really little wood on the outside.  I think this house would most likely survive a direct hit from a hurricane.  The old home would have probably not survived a direct hit.  Actually we had a near hit and it mostly took out palm trees and just the pool lanai. 

You're welcome, Pete.

Yes, the new codes work quite well. Even the pool cages have been upgraded after the 2004-2005 seasons. Our cage went up end of 2007, and Charlotte County required sturdier beams and many more stainless straps. Even with all the improvements, it's still the weakest structure on the house.

Kevin

rocketmonkeys said:
You can see where I'm planning the speakers.  I'm planning on just L & R right now, but I'll wire for center as well & leave it coiled in wall.  I would consider putting in a matching center now, but I think it'll look better w/ just L & R.

I'll wire the sub, leave a keystone jack under the TV (plug height), and put the sub there (hidden in the TV hutch).

You can stick with just front speakers, that would be fine for many people. As others suggest, though, wire for at least 5.1. You never know when you may want rear surrounds.

If you're going to just have L and R speakers, which may be fine without a center given how close they'll be together, buy decent quality and make sure you program your Onkyo to send the center channel over the L/R pair. Some receivers may do that automatically.

Regarding a subwoofer, it doesn't matter much where you put it. Mine is in the corner behind a chair. The effect is pretty much the same no matter where it's located in the room. 

Good luck with the build. It's exciting to see it come together!

Kevin

LCR In Wall Speakers

And here's another one - I'd never put the sub in the TV cabinet.  I like them under the end table in the corner or something out of the way.  Reason: Excess vibration around the electronics isn't good for them - especially a blu-ray player that may skip, and quite likely to shorten the life of the hard drives in your DVR.

I'm not understanding why the desire for in-wall speakers for the center channel (or L/C/R combo).  Aesthetically, it won't be a problem since the TV is surface mounted.  In fact, I think it is a more natural look to have the speaker surface mounted when it is located immediately next to a surface mounted TV.

Plus, this leaves you open to replace the speaker in the future without the need to do drywall work.  Not the speaker technology changes all that much, but it is certainly possible that 5 or 10 years from now you may want something different.

I had some issues putting the speakers in the "great room" in Florida.  That said and because LCD's were not really common at the time I had a custom built into the wall cabinet built across the entire room and all glass above the cabinet.  Left enough room in the center piece for an LCD which is there today.  The left and right speakers are just tucked into the shelves and the center is a Bose small footprint sound bar.  The shelves are deep enough to hold the multimedia receiver just fine.  I did run multiple PVC tubes (chases) from the center LCD area to the two sides.  I also put electric in the center and the two sides.  The subwoofer is provisioned such that it can be installed in a side wall. The furniture is in the center of the room.  The back two left and right speakers are on the ceiling and they sound OK.  I do only have provisioned for 5.1 sound in the room.   The room / sound though is configured though both for the view (water views outside of the windows), sound (legacy audio) and multimedia for the LCD TV.  So much of the time its just the front two speakers on for the great room audio (my personal preference) and zoned out audio to the rest of the house (pairs of stereo speakers).  But I also just prefer sitting in the Lanai reading while listening to music and watching the water over sitting in the great room and watching the LCD TV. 

In the midwest just set up for 7.1 sound but its a mix of external, externally mounted and in ceiling mounted speakers.  The subwoofer went to the back corner section of the room and is really not seen.  For whatever reason I have switched the center/Left and Right speakers to about 4 mfgs in the last 4 years. 

Back