Have you recently installed UPB, zWave or Insteon?

kimvi said:
When is the next WebEx? I am interested in seeing and learning more. I want to learn each of the major HA packages out there.
The standing time is the last sturday of every month at 8:30am PST.

However, I might be taking some time off from 3/9ish->3/12ish, if there's multiple folks interested we could have a 1-off.

kimvi said:
Rupp said:
HomeSeer has been selling VisaRF for a week or 2.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Relay-Wall-Switches-C63.aspx
I am interested in learning more about HomeSeer. Is it as powerful as CQC or Main Lobby. My areas of concern are AV, Audio, Security, Cameras, Lighting, HVAC and Irrigation.
--Is it as powerful as CQC or Main Lobby
I guess it depends on who you ask. HomeSeer is a very powerful Home Automation Engine and is relatively easy to use. Main Lobby is more of a pretty front end and works well with HomeSeer if you need a "flashy" touch screen interface. There are other touch screen interfaces as well. I would recommend visiting the HomeSeer bulletin board and read up. http://board.homeseer.com

There are plugins to control nearly anything you can attach to a PC. Three are plugins for all of the most popular security systems as well as 2 camera plugins, UPB, Insteon, X10, Z-Wave, etc lighting plugins, as well as free and paid Irrigation plugins.

As both a CQC user and a Homeseer user, I can give you my 2 cents :unsure:

If you are interested in complete touchscreen control, and want it all in one package, then you should go with CQC. It also has a really great HA engine, plus it has many community members working hard to help anyone who needs it. So far, the thing that has impressed me the most is how easy it is to do some really cool things. I really expected to have to spend a lot of time learning things, but I was up and running within minutes. The video tutorials are also a great tool.

Main Lobby used to be just a front end, but from what I understand, they also have their own HA engine now. Main Lobby combined with Homeseer is a pretty powerful combination, but you will have rely on a plugin to establish the link between these 2 applications (not too big of a deal).

Price should not be an area of concern at this stage, since in the long run, you will end up spending about the same amount of money no matter what solution.

Back