headset vs headphone jack on tablets?

JimS

Trying to find a low to moderate cost tablet 8 - 10" that will work with square.  Most of the product descriptions don't say if the audio out jack is headphone (3 connections for output only) or headset (4 connections for output and microphone) - many just say "yes" or "1" for the audio out indicating it has 1 jack but not what kind of jack.  The square needs a microphone input.  I went to a chain store and asked and was told that most all the tablets should work - I have done a bit more checking and this is not true.  Many of them have headphone only.  Any suggestions for tablets that have the microphone input?  Is it reasonable to get one for under around $150?  I don't need a lot of other bells and whistles and prefer Android.  It does need to have GPS which seems to be pretty common so don't think that will be an issue.  I can use my phone as a hot spot so don't need cell connection for internet.

The Pipo M7 - 8.9" tablet has a microphone input and all of the extra stuff you mention above.
I have a PiPoX7 which runs Windows 10, Android and Ubuntu (modded it a bit).  I have not had issues with it other than the built in NIC is a USB device and I cannot wake it via NIC when it is sleeping.  Thinking most many of the Pipo devices utilize Intel Atom CPUs.  The one pictured here uses an ARM CPU. 

1350809354_27_8713.jpg

● Display: 8.9", 1280*800 IPS(16:10)
● Touch Panel: Capacitive  10-touch
● CPU: Rockchip 3188 Cortex A9,1.6GHz,Quad-core CPU+Quad-core GPU
● RAM: 2GB DDR3
● Operation System: Android 4.2
● Camera: Front 2M, back 5M auto focus, flashlight
● WiFi: 802.11b/g/n
● Internal 3G  built-in: yes, WCDMA
● Bluetooth 4.0: Yes
● Built-in GPS receiver
● Sensor: G-sensor, Gyro sensor, light sensor
● Others: e-compas,Micro SD slot, mic, speaker, mini HDMI output
● Multimedia:Audio, Video(1080P), Photo,ebook,game, email, internet…
● Battery capacity: 6300mAh by 3.7V
● Housing material: metal +plastic back

Is there a particular reason for using Square vs other alternatives? 

The reason I ask is that I use PayPal Here. Late summer of last year I ordered their reader that accepts chipped cards and it works via Bluetooth rather than the headphone/mic jack. I'll admit the cost of the new reader was pricey; I think I paid $150 (it's down to $79 now); they used to provide a rebate if you processed something like $3k within the first 30-90 days, but aren't offering that any more. More info here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader 

Back