Height of Intercom Keypad

mbreeden

Question: What is the recommended height of an Intercom keypad?

I am installing a Russound Compoint Intercom system and I was wonder what height I should place the keypads.

Thanks

Mike

I would think this would matter how tall you are..I plan to mount mine right beside the uno keypads but I have them set where I can see them properly but if I was over 6feet I imagine I would mount them higher.

Ripper:

How high are you mounting your Uno keypads?

I am 6'3" but the rest of my family is smaller 5'7 wife and two small boys.

I plan on installing a CAV6 later (When I save more money) so I would want to mount them side by side. I am even install the box with that in mind.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Sorry I wasn't more specific... it's 57" to the top.

Keep in mind these are just standard so feel free to mount them wherever they seem most appropriate.

We even install them low some times along with the electrical switches providing the required voltage dividers. This height doesn't make them very easy to see, but in bedrooms and other places where keeping the wall clutter down down is more important it's an option.

Attachments

• UnoS2___Insteon.jpg
    UnoS2___Insteon.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 71
Paul:

Voltage dividers? Are they used when you are mounting them in the same box or the same wall pocket?

- Mike

mbreeden said:
Paul:

Voltage dividers? Are they used when you are mounting them in the same box or the same wall pocket?

- Mike
Can't mix "high" and "low" voltage in the same electrical box. I believe dividers can be placed inside one electrical box to provide this separation.

Paul,

Hopefully, you don't mind my asking...but, what are you using to make the labels for your KPL's? Is it a particular weight paper or a specific font?

The number one complaint (okay, it's really number two...spending the money is the number one) I get from the Mrs. is that the labels (I'm currently using the ones that Smarthomes includes with the switches because the ones I have tried to print look terrible) make the whole thing look like a toy and that she can't read them...all of which is true.

In all of the pictures on your site and the one you just posted, the buttons are very easy to read and look very professional...I could use a hint...

Thanks so much!

Michael

mbreeden said:
Ripper:

How high are you mounting your Uno keypads?
I mounted them at about the height of my nose tip..I'm 5'9" and the wife is 5'7" and we don't have kids so I figured put them where they would be comfortable for us.

I thought they might be too low if mounted at the same height as light switchs.

**Paul are those switch plates custom made or does Russound sell them? I would like to get some like that for a compoint and abus together and a uno with compoint..those look really good.

Another reason I mounted my Uno's higher was because eventually I will just use touchpanels everywhere and I wouldn't want them lower than eye height for myself to interact with.

I'm not sure how high people usually mount the keypads but I'd think if they were at the height on my light switchs I might be bending down slightly each time I want to look at the screen and scroll through things.

The Compoint I have planned for the kitchen will be at counter height beside an abus keypad..its a subzone and I just wanted it out of the way and assume the mic should work well from that location.

The other compoint in my office will be mounted beside an Uno at the height I mentioned above..if things don't look right after I do it I have enough cable slack to move them ;-)

BraveSirRobbin said:
mbreeden said:
Paul:

Voltage dividers?  Are they used when you are mounting them in the same box or the same wall pocket?

- Mike
Can't mix "high" and "low" voltage in the same electrical box. I believe dividers can be placed inside one electrical box to provide this separation.
Yes,

The proper type of elextrical box has spacers where plastic dividers can be in installed to separate high & low voltage wiring to meet California wiring code.

The ability to do this may alter from state to state, so be sure to check your local code.

Cheers,
Paul

mkensinger said:
Paul,

Hopefully, you don't mind my asking...but, what are you using to make the labels for your KPL's? Is it a particular weight paper or a specific font?

In all of the pictures on your site and the one you just posted, the buttons are very easy to read and look very professional...I could use a hint...

Thanks so much!

Michael
Hi Michael,

I use a Brother P-Touch printer that connects to the PC (model PT-9200DX) and 1/2" black on white labels.

Since the label is plastic, it creates a much more professional appearance than the paper labels that come with the switches. You have to trim the width by hand, but it's simple to do with scissors or an exacto knife.

I checked and the font is Arial Narrow 9pt.

Cheers,
Paul

Ripper99 said:
**Paul are those switch plates custom made or does Russound sell them? I would like to get some like that for a compoint and abus together and a uno with compoint..those look really good.
Ripper,

Russound is suppose to come out with these faceplates, but they're not available yet and will likely cost around $20ea when they do.

I make these using a standard 3-gang wall plate and a jig that I made for my table router. The ones from Russound will be "screwless" but for now I can make these for a couple bucks in a couple minutes.

You can cut them fairly easy using a fine tooth hack-saw blade and then clean them up with a file which is what I did initially (the one in the photo is at my house and was done like this).

If you give me a shout when you're ready for the ComPoint gear I'll fire up the router and throw some in gratis...

Cheers,
Paul

Back