Help me choose between the M1 Gold and the M1EZ8

zorglub995

Hi,

I am ready to invest in an ELK system in the next few days.

I've already read a lot of interesting comments about how the M1 Gold is a better investment that the M1EZ8, but I have the feeling that, in my situation, the M1EZ8 may be the best choice.

I'll start by telling you my needs:

Security control including mostly wireless detectors (I leave in a condo on the second floor, and wiring is not really an option)
I don't think I will need more than 8 zones. I had a house before, and only used 4 zones....
Q:- I guess that in both cases, I will need a wireless receptor ?

Home automation. At first I won't do much, but I want the capability as I plan on adding later, if needed

I want to be able to access and control the system via networking:
- I am a network/system administrator, so having a PC dedicated 7/24 for this task is really not a problem (already have one..).
- I want to be able to access infos, receive alarms and do some config (ie thermostat control) from my network (or the Internet), mainly via our cellphones (Web browser) and eventually some touchscreen pads I plan on installing.
Q: - I guess that in both cases, I will need the Ethernet module ?

The voice system is really not important for me, I prefer to be notified on my cellphone via SMS than hear the same voice over and over saying "System armed" or something like it.. :)

The telephony part is really not attractive since I don't have a phone network at home, we all have our own cell phone. That why I prefer commnunicating with the system via network.

So I figured that I need the following: (I already have my wireless detectors)

1 x M1GSYS4

OR

1 x M1EZ8KB + 1 x M1EZ8MSI to add a serial port as with the M1G

then, whatever I choose I will also need the following:

1 x M1XRF2G or NX-548E for the wireless zones
1 x M1XEP for the Ethernet port

The way I see it, there is a difference of about $240 between both kit, incluing the RS-232 interface. Did I miss anything ?

My problem is that I don't mind investing for the best, but knowing that I won't need the additionnals features of the M1G, I feel like I will throw in 240 $ for something that I will never use...
I certainly know what I can do with 240$ more in my pocket ! ;)

Is there anything more that the M1G may give me ?

Thanks !

Richard

Well I am sure most people will say go with the M1. I myself have an EZ8. I think if you plan on using it with a PC server for home automation then the EZ8 seems to be enough. I prefer to use better TTS voices than the M1 has. I use Girder 5 and it has a great Elk plugin that pretty much allows me to do anything I want. Check out my showcase blog for some GUI screenshots for the lighting and security page.

I prefer the M1XRF2G wireless receiver. It has been great.

If a zone is violated on the Gold, it speaks the zone. You don't get that with the EZ8. Worth having so you know where to point your gun in the middle of the night when the alarm goes off.

If a zone is violated on the Gold, it speaks the zone. You don't get that with the EZ8. Worth having so you know where to point your gun in the middle of the night when the alarm goes off.

Like I said in my post. My EZ8 does that as well using Paul or Kathy which sound more human. It all depends if your going to run a PC 24/7 for home automation.

Like I said in my post. My EZ8 does that as well using Paul or Kathy which sound more human. It all depends if your going to run a PC 24/7 for home automation.

I'm curious, what is your setup from M1 to TTS and what are you using ? BTW, I love your showcase !

Thank !

The M1 Gold is worth the extra money. Not only do you get voice, you get more zones out of the box and much easier connectors to deal with.

I'm curious, what is your setup from M1 to TTS and what are you using ? BTW, I love your showcase !

Thank !

I use Girder 5 for my home automation application and it has a great Elk plugin that lets me control the Elk as well as get status and events from the Elk. If you need the extra zones I am sure the M1 is worth the money. I just mentioned that I have the EZ8 and it works fine for what I need.

Thanks about the comment on my showcase.

OmniPro - there, that settles it. ;)

Seriously, If you can afford the extra beans, go for the M1, you never know when your needs may change and you may want some of the features. If budget is that critical where it is the EZ8 or a basic panel then the EZ8 is surely a good choice. It's pretty much that way with everything in life, my theory with tech is to simply buy the best you can afford.

OmniPro - there, that settles it. ;)

Seriously, If you can afford the extra beans, go for the M1, you never know when your needs may change and you may want some of the features. If budget is that critical where it is the EZ8 or a basic panel then the EZ8 is surely a good choice. It's pretty much that way with everything in life, my theory with tech is to simply buy the best you can afford.

I agree with Steve - Also - It might be easier to sell a used M1G than an EZ8, as I think most people would prefer an M1. (could just be me tho ;) )

Well, you guys convince me ! I ordered the M1 Gold ! Just don't tell my wife how much more our system is gonna cost ! ;)

Thanks for all the infos !

The M1 Gold is worth the extra money. Not only do you get voice, you get more zones out of the box and much easier connectors to deal with.

Anyone have a demo or web-video that shows the voices? I run CQC so wondering if I want to let CQC to do the talking. Along the same lines if I wanted to pump the audio out from the elk into a RCA input on my amp is that possible or is the voltage not compatbile with this?

Back