Help me pick a cheap surveillance system

kccustom

$4-500 I would forget about recording and just focus on getting decent cameras.... Are you saying you can only buy them from NewEgg?

$4-500 I would forget about recording and just focus on getting decent cameras.... Are you saying you can only buy them from NewEgg?

If I were to get something now I would have to go newegg, but I was having an impulse buying fit. I think I am just about over it.

I was thinking it would better to start with one pretty good camera and build from that.

Last night I was thinking it would be neet to hook my doorbell up to my M1 and have a camera that would take a pic when somebody pressed the button, or maybe a camera I could move to suit my moods.

I use the Axis camera servers. Either their cam server or their camera/server units will directly email pictures based on motion without any external trigger (like a doorbell). I tested a D-Link camera a couple of years ago. I think it did that too.

Just a thought.

I use the Axis camera servers. Either their cam server or their camera/server units will directly email pictures based on motion without any external trigger (like a doorbell).

You have to watch which Axis product you purchase as they don't all have this feature. For instance the Axis 2400 Video server will Email you a picture based on a contact closure, but the newer Axis 241Q server has the ability to do this on motion detection also.

Also, not all their cameras have this motion detect ability (forget specific model numbers).

You can use external software such as WebCamXP though which has motion detect features. It will work with a variety of Axis products as well as other brands. Nice thing about WebCamXP is it will also work with capture cards such as ATI's.

I really like Axis products (cameras and video servers) as they are industrial quality. Actually, I have some extra Axis 2400 video servers here.

I use the Axis camera servers. Either their cam server or their camera/server units will directly email pictures based on motion without any external trigger (like a doorbell). I tested a D-Link camera a couple of years ago. I think it did that too.

Just a thought.

If you are considering software choices, you need to look at zoneminder.

Back